Grade Frank McKenna, Ambassador to the US

In the short time he's been posted to Washington, Frank McKenna has made a fair splash in the news, as you can see on this Google search. From explaining Canadian policy to reaming out US ranchers, he's making news. But is making a lot of press the same as being effective? Is reaching news media as important as reaching US policy makers?

I found the item on McKenna asking snowbirds to help fight the "Fox factor" particularly whiny. Does he think Canadians in the US haven't already been telling Americans the facts about Canada? On the other hand, he hasn't been afraid to open up on US rancher groups who still want Canadian beef blocked from entering the US.

So, the question is, what grade would you give Frank on his effectiveness as Canada's Ambassador thus far, and why?

Myself, I'll be kind and give him a C-

He hasn't visibly accomplished much in the way of influencing US policy, but he's been good at making a lot of noise and being visible (part of the job of an ambassador), keeping Canada on the US radar.

But is making a lot of press the same as being effective? Is reaching news media as important as reaching US policy makers?

Here's the thing.

Sometimes, the only and best way to get to politicians is through the media. The reason is twofold. You directly address the issue so that politicians can see it, and you address the constituents of those politicians, who in the final analysis have the last say on the future of those politicians.

Does he think Canadians in the US haven't already been telling Americans the facts about Canada?

You you sure that all Canadians in the US have been ?

He hasn't visibly accomplished much in the way of influencing US policy,
Name a Canadian ambassador that has. :D

It's all about perception ;), and McKenna appears to be trying to dispel some of the misperceptions in the US that may exist about Canada. In regards to policy change, the government and Dept. of External Affairs have done an abysmal job in the first place, making it more difficult for McKenna to get the job done.

B+

Good thread topic.

McKenna has been ambassador for, what, six months? Give the guy some time to figure out how to do what he might want to do.

So far, I'll give him credit for evidently trying to do something different. And I'll give credit to PM PM for apparently giving McKenna the liberty to try it.

-----

If the issue is our relationship with the US, then I'd say this:

Negative Side

First, Canada is California without two senators, without 40 some odd Congressmen and without a big chunk of electoral votes. Second, this administration has a precise Plan-B foreign policy agenda at odds with the sensibility of many Canadians.

Positive Side

First, many ordinary Americans feel better when Canada agrees with what the US government is doing. (Think Blair and Iraq.) Second, most of our serious issues are stuff ordinary people on both sides of an arbitrary border agree with. (Lumber tariffs hurt ordinary Americans more than they hurt ordinary Canadians.)

I think McKenna is playing to his long suit, but let's see what happens.

In the short time he's been posted to Washington, Frank McKenna has made a fair splash in the news, as you can see on this Google search.  From explaining Canadian policy to reaming out US ranchers, he's making news.  But is making a lot of press the same as being effective?  Is reaching news media as important as reaching US policy makers?

I found the item on McKenna asking snowbirds to help fight the "Fox factor" particularly whiny.  Does he think Canadians in the US haven't already been telling Americans the facts about Canada? On the other hand, he hasn't been afraid to open up on US rancher groups who still want Canadian beef blocked from entering the US. 

So, the question is, what grade would you give Frank on his effectiveness as Canada's Ambassador thus far, and why?

Myself, I'll be kind and give him a C- 

He hasn't visibly accomplished much in the way of influencing US policy, but he's been good at making a lot of noise and being visible (part of the job of an ambassador), keeping Canada on the US radar.

Canada influence American policy. OH man, that made me chuckle.

This job is just a reward for service to the Liberal Party of Canada. I was not impressed by McKenna when he was Premier of the Province of New Brunswick, that province I call home. 99% of the problems with Medicare in New Brunswick were caused by McKenna's policy of slash and burn. He not only destroyed Medicare in NB, but every program he tinkered with he slased to the bone both financially, and personnel wise. The peole that were left wound up beurnt out from overwork and that was when our doctors started leaving for greener pastures.

Conservatives need not take heart with the above because Bernard Lord made great promises when in opposition, but since taking power all we have gotten is more of the same, only he is making cut when there was nothing left to cut when he took office, but he cuts anyway, and raised every fee we had and added many more that we didn't have, but he keep trying to convince the people of NB, that he is doing a great job. I think when an election is called we will show Brenard just what we think of his dictatorial style of government by showing him where the swinging door is, and giving him a swift boot on the way out. To think The Conservative Party was touting him as good leadership material, when the truth is he isn't qualified to dump pick. Sorry if I insulted any dump picker's out there. I was going to say not qualified to be a dog catcher, but then they too would be insulted, by being compared to this incompetent.

I think we need to remind ourselves that we are an economic-political colony of the US Empire and as such tribunes like McKenna from the northern outpost carry zero influence with the masters in Washington. As long as we fetch oil and hew soft wood lumber for the enrichment of the Empires corporate elites then we will be tolerated. Never expected to sit at the banquet table and also be content to pick up the crumbs from the masters floor and above all never break the strict boundaries between supplicant and over lord by challenging the status quo- that will merely get the Quislings and the Vichy politicians in Alberta frightened and trembling- not a pretty sight.

I think we need to remind ourselves that we are an economic-political colony of the US Empire and as such tribunes like McKenna from the northern outpost carry zero influence with the masters in Washington.
Please define the words "empire" and "colony" and "master".

Newfoundland once had commission government. To my knowledge, Canada is a sovereign state. Many Quebecers desire such.

If these comments seem naive to you, how about explaining why Poland just join the EU?

I think we need to remind ourselves that we are an economic-political colony of the US Empire and as such tribunes like McKenna from the northern outpost carry zero influence with the masters in Washington.
Please define the words "empire" and "colony" and "master".

Newfoundland once had commission government. To my knowledge, Canada is a sovereign state. Many Quebecers desire such.

If these comments seem naive to you, how about explaining why Poland just join the EU?

Not naive but somewhat confusing. I think you know the meaning of those words as well as I do so it's not necessary to be unduly pedantic. Poland, Hungry and the rest of Eastern Europe were also technically "sovereign countries" but we nevertheless saw them as political satellites of the old Soviet Union. We are inextricably tied to the US economic empire and which has a huge influence on our domestic politics if you haven't noticed. I'm not sure why I should explain why Poland has joined the EU as i don't quite follow your line of reasoning on this point

I'm not sure why I should explain why Poland has joined the EU as i don't quite follow your line of reasoning on this point
Jaruzelski. Have you ever heard of this Polish family name?
We are inextricably tied to the US economic empire and which has a huge influence on our domestic politics if you haven't noticed.
I see a big, big difference between the relationship of a colony and an empire on one hand and the relationship of our federal government and the US federal government on the other. And I won't even get into the relationship, for example, of some guy in New Joisey and an older woman from Saskatoon (yet this is really where American-Canadian relationships truly matter because, in our two countries, individuals are free to choose).

Northern North America is one thing, Canada is another thing and parliament in Ottawa quite another thing. Same idea applies in the States.