Bias Conservative Media

The biggest B.S. myth in this country is the B.S. myth the media is bias toward the Liberals.

There are several radio stations across the country that have obvious bias Conservative talk show hosts.

These talk show hosts go on air on a daily basis and nit pick and trash the Liberals!

Here are some of the more obvious! Lowell Green C.F.R.A. Ottawa 9 til noon every weekday! Tommy Shnurmacker C.J.A.D. Montreal same time slot!

Although I've never heard his show I hear Dave Rutherford in Calgary is another Liberal basher!

Here is a challange for you! Name me one radio station with a talk show that trashes the Conservatives on a daily basis like the above Liberal bashing shows I've mentioned!

Anybody else know of any other radio talk shows that are into Liberal bashing? :rolleyes: Post them hear so I can have a listen on the internet! :rolleyes:

Oh by the way C.F.R.A. has other Liberal bashers besides Lowell Green. Early morning Steve Madely, afternoon Mike Harris!

You can listen via the internet IF YOU DOUBT my accusations!!! :D

CFRB, which is the main talk radio station in Toronto, supports Conservative policies in general. Their mid-morning host, Bill Carroll is usually biased in favour of the Conservatives, and routinely as their Provincial leader John Tory as a guest. We have another talk radio station, AM 640, but I don't listen to it enough to know their take on issues.

CFRB, which is the main talk radio station in Toronto, supports Conservative policies in general.  Their mid-morning host, Bill Carroll is usually biased in favour of the Conservatives, and routinely as their Provincial leader John Tory as a guest.  We have another talk radio station, AM 640, but I don't listen to it enough to know their take on issues.

I listen to AM640 occasionally, I would say that they are right of center on most issues. In fact I believe it was Andrew Krystal that got fired after asking Stephen Harper some 'difficult' questions prior to the last general election, he actually made Harper look like an idiot, so much so in fact that Harper cut out after only 3 or 4 minutes.

I'm so glad you started this topic. I always have a chuckle when guys like you and Eureka claim "conservative bias". It's such a lawyer like tactic to concoct a defence by going on the attack to try to deflect the problem on to us. You look foolish though. The press, by their own admission is liberal. Polls taken show the overwhelming majority of the US press, for example, vote democrat. Of course they deny any bias entering their content, as we all know they are professionals and can remain objective in any situation :rolleyes: . And I think, with the exception of a few outlets, like the CBC, they try to be objective. But when you have such a hugely skewed work force of journalist, reporters and editorial staff being ideologically left there is no way you can avoid bias.

There's no argument that there are conservative talk radio show hosts. The difference is they are openly conservative. For the most part they don't subtley inject their bias into the content, they openly and unabashedly proclaim their conservative biases. But, to me, this just proves how biased other media mediums are. Conservative talk radio is relatively new and is so wildly popular now in response to the hidden bias they get from TV. I think because you can call in to the radio, the people are what have shifted it. You could say it's a grass roots movement because people can interact with the host and call him/her on any B.S.

Although I've never heard his show I hear Dave Rutherford in Calgary is another Liberal basher!

You bet he does, and he does it hard. But you should also mention Dave Taylor, his former counterpart who recieved equal air time in the afternoons. He was a hard core conservative basher, now he sits as a Liberal MLA.

Here is a challange for you! Name me one radio station with a talk show that trashes the Conservatives on a daily basis like the above Liberal bashing shows I've mentioned!

Dave Taylor. Done. You should also look into Air America in the US. CBC radio, while not as bad as CBC tv, does a pretty good job at conservative bashing, though not openly liberal (which is part of the problem). I can't name any else in Canada because I don't listen to radio in other cities, but I'm sure there are dedicated conservative bashers elsewhere. I know in the US that liberal talk radio just hasn't been successful. They try but often fail. Like I said before, the success of guys like Limbaugh, Hannity, Liddy, Savage, etc. is the result of a counter reaction to the liberal control of the other media. I guess you could say the same thing for the recent success of Fox News as well.

It strikes me as odd that taxpayers fund the CBC and it appears to do little to allow all parties, even the fringe ones, to offer their ideas to any significant degree. I would truly enjoy seeing members of each party hammer it out on issues they consider important rather than leave it up to any one source. Perhaps ratings would not be high but then again, the CBC should be more of a public service anyways.

I hate partisanism as far as the media goes, If I turn on a program I want to hear debate, I don't want to hear some Conservative garbage or some Liberal Pep rally. That's why my favorite Political program to watch is Politics with Don Newman on CBC Newsworld, because he seems to be non biased, he asks all parties tough questions and tries to cut through some of the spin they put forth.

When we talk about the bias of newspapers, you can look at it from two ways - most journalists would probably be left of centre on most issues (in my view because they are more educated than the average public and would have a more indepth knowledge of issues and the people involved in them). This would mean that newspapers tend to have a liberal bias.

The other view is that most newspaper owners tend to be right of centre (in my view because they come from the wealthiest members of our society who tend to have conservative values). Newspaper owners can, and often do, have a huge say in the ideological bend of their paper since they can select their editors and other important people within their companies, and can set guidelines for the paper as a whole. For example, Conrad Black had a reputation for hiring editors who were like-minded, while the Aspers made sure that their media outlets were pro-Israel. Changes can be more subtle too, for example instead of having a reporter work on the labour issues beat, they put them on reporting crime.

Basically you have to believe that either the owners & editors determine a newspapers ideological views, or that its reporters and columnists do. I would argue that the owners and editors have more power here, but I am sure that others will disagree.

As for TV, I think it is a lot easier to appear neutral. Politics with Don Newman is a good example of this - they will have an issue and put two guests on it, one for, the other against. They also have roundtables were an MP from the four parties argue back and forth. It is hard to complain of bias here, since one can see various views being represented.

I am not sure that we need more expose for fringe parties in Canada on TV. The four main parties, along with the Greens, probably represent 90 - 95 % of the Canadian public. The remaining views just come from people I would consider borderline crazy, like Marxists or right-wing religious fundamentalists. I don't think we need the CBC to be giving any time to that kind of viewpoint.

The word "conservative" in it's early, if not original, context, means "traditional".

Traditionally, people who are very traditional, have a lot more to complain about, what with all this new-fangled thinking and changes to everything :P

Comments like "In my day, we wouldn't have put up with that....", are typical of people who hang their hats on the coat-hook of traditionalism.

All that being said, while I don't always agree with Lowell Green, I find him hilarious, and listen whenever I get a chance.

But not for political enlightenment, rather for entertainment.

And that's what these shows are all about; keeping the people entertained so they'll keep on listening.

The word "conservative" in it's early, if not original, context, means "traditional".

Traditionally, people who are very traditional, have a lot more to complain about, what with all this new-fangled thinking and changes to everything :P

Comments like "In my day, we wouldn't have put up with that....", are typical of people who hang their hats on the coat-hook of traditionalism.

All that being said, while I don't always agree with Lowell Green, I find him hilarious, and listen whenever I get a chance.

But not for political enlightenment, rather for entertainment.

And that's what these shows are all about; keeping the people entertained so they'll keep on listening.

QUESTION: Can you not see just how bias Lowell Green is toward the Conservatives?

Not one person who has replied to this thread has been able to give me one radio talk show host who bashes the Conservatives like Lowell Green and his ilk bash the Liberals.

So tell me! Where do you all get the B.S. idea the media is bias toward the Liberals!! Looks like your views don't include talk radio in this country EH? :P

QUESTION: Can you not see just how bias Lowell Green is toward the Conservatives?

I never implied otherwise. Re-read my post and you will see this.

Not one person who has replied to this thread has been able to give me one radio talk show host who bashes the Conservatives like Lowell Green and his ilk bash the Liberals.

And in my previous post, which you chose to quote and pick apart, I never even tried.

So tell me! Where do you all get the B.S. idea the media is bias toward the Liberals!! Looks like your views don't include talk radio in this country EH? :P

Well, if you consider me part of "You all", then again, I never made any such claim.

If you can find any place where I did, please point it out.

Until that time, please do not include me in your sweeping generalizations about who made what claims.

But again, as I said earlier, talk radio is NOT policy or politics. It's entertainment, pure and simple, even when it's talking about politics. When the ratings for these types of shows drop through the floor, they will be pulled.

But as long as large numbers of listeners continue to tune in, then the stations/networks will continue to carry the shows on the air, and the money to the bank.

When we talk about the bias of newspapers, you can look at it from two ways - most journalists would probably be left of centre on most issues (in my view because they are more educated than the average public and would have a more indepth knowledge of issues and the people involved in them). 

The clear implication of that is educated, knowledgeable people would be more likely to be left wing - which is clearly not the case. I think it more accurate to say that people who select journalism as their profession tend to come from relatively comfortable lifestyles. Their parents are more likely to be lawyers and teacher than factory workers or fishermen. And these people, coming from comfortable, urban backgrounds, then go to the same few journalism schools, where they are educated by professors who, by and large, are pretty left of centre themselves.

Their education does not tend to take in many real-life subjects, ie, economics, business, law, criminology, history. They would tend to spend more time studying Chaucer and Marx than Microeconomics and Business Law. And of course, journalists, esp those working for major media, tend to be economically comfortable.

These are not, in other words, people who have lived a hardscrable existence, people who have known great challenges in their lives. They are warm, fat, and content with the status quo. They tend, then, to be liberal in their politics, associate with politicians, other media, bureaucrats and academics. And they have a stake in the continuation and defence of the system. They would tend not to really understand those who don't like the system, or are discontent, who feel powerless, like the system doesn't work for them, who are poor. You might call them members of the petty bourgeois. They are insular and somewhat distant from the rest of Canadians.

The target audience for this sort of radio show is angry old-people who have nothing better to do with the sad remnants of their lives than complain about things. Today's music, today's TV, today's kids, and most especially, today's government. Complaining about the government is one of the few pleasures left that these withered old cranks have left. The Liberals have formed the government for the past 12 years, but rest assured that if somebody else forms the government in Ottawa, the angry old-people will still phone Rutherford to complain.

-k

{"Git off ma lawn, you damned kids!"}

Lib, if you are looking for another ultra right wing radio talk show, you should listen to Charles Adler on CJOB in Winnipeg. He is the most pompous, egotistical windbag you could ever hear, and refers to his listeners (followers? disciples?) as "Adler Nation" - only those that agree with every word he speaks need call in to express an opinion. I listen to him once in a while for the entertainment, but admit that he can get under my skin on some issues.

Lib, if you are looking for another ultra right wing radio talk show, you should listen to Charles Adler on CJOB in Winnipeg. He is the most pompous, egotistical windbag you could ever hear, and refers to his listeners (followers? disciples?) as "Adler Nation" - only those that agree with every word he speaks need call in to express an opinion. I listen to him once in a while for the entertainment, but admit that he can get under my skin on some issues.

I agree with every word except for the ultra right wing comment. He seems to have no problem with gay marriage and he defends the liberal Canadian press. Conservative, yes. Ultra right wing, no. But yes he's pompous and abusive to those who disagree with him. He's really quite annoying to listen too. Serious anger issues.

• 2 weeks later...