"People Of Toronto Got Their Money's Worth

Officials welcome possible transit funding

An announcement that Toronto may receive as much as $200-million for public transit over two years as part of the NDP-negotiated federal budget is good news for the city, Mayor David Miller said yesterday.

"This is a very important part of what we need to get back to having a sustainable system," Mr. Miller said. He said the money, which has yet to be finalized, will go to buying buses, fixing streetcars and building dedicated streetcar rights-of-way

Imagine Liberal politicians actually doing what they promised during an election campaign, with a little encouragement from the New Democrats of course. :lol:

Same-sex nuptials law by summer, Liberals say

This legislation should pass easily with the support of the New Democrats and the Bloc. It's about friggin' time!  <_<

This speedy passage of this bill will cause a ruckus inside the Liberal party. I agree that we need to be done with this, but so many are going to be unhappy about it.

I think this will boost the Conservatives chances of winning the next election.

Call it a toss up, a loss on the marriage front, but a gain on the removal of the Liberals.

RW

Except that the Liberals have the discpline of remaining united.

Contrary to a lot of the hype here at MLW, SSM is not the burning issue of the day for most Canadians. Quite frankly most Canadians outside the gay community and the Conservative community don't give a shit about it. :blink:

Except that the Liberals have the discpline of remaining united.

Contrary to a lot of the hype here at MLW, SSM is not the burning issue of the day for most Canadians. Quite frankly most Canadians outside the gay community and the Conservative community don't give a shit about it.    :blink:

I sure am glad you back up all your statements with some poll numbers!

Some things are just so basically common sense it never occured to me to provide documentation - just look at any questionnaire on what matters most to Canadians. I can assure you that jobs and the econony rank substantialy higher that crap like opposing SSM. MYOB. :lol:

Some things are just so basically common sense it never occured to me to provide documentation - just look at any questionnaire on what matters most to Canadians. I can assure you that jobs and the econony rank substantialy higher that crap like opposing SSM.  MYOB.  :lol:

Just because issue A ranks higher than issue B doesn't mean issue B is NOT an issue.

What is with you Calgarians? You seem to be a different breed from any other group in Canada. Is your transit system in dire need of financial assistance? If it is I'm sure you could get your mayor to ask for some federal assistance or is that beneath you folks there?

Oh, Alberta doesn't have public transport, I forgot!  :rolleyes:

Let me know when the FEDERAL government drops millions upon millions of dolalrs into Calgary's transit ssytem.

Can't Klein give some of the excess dollars Alberta has? Do you require Federal assistance? Are you home to the largest city in Canada who because of various reasons has a transit system that needs assistance?

Actually, I live in Windsor, ON and still think it's idiotic that taxpayers from all over Canada are helping the CITY OF TORONTO pay for public transit. Raise property taxes, take it from provincial taxes, since transit will help save on the number of cars using the roads and not everyone who uses toronto transit lives right in Toronto. But to hvae the entire country pay for it? That's sheer idiocy.

Hey we want a new arena in Windsor, maybe the rest of Canada can foot the bill for that too....