Harper's Political Career In Tatters!

Wound may be fatal to his leadership

Belinda Stronach will have been the hand that both rocked the cradle of the nascent Conservative party and then stabbed it in the back on the way to a probable election.

Time will eventually tell whether those two conflicting roles qualify her as a future leader of the Liberal Party of Canada.

For the present, Stephen Harper may be about to find out the hard way whether the wound resulting from Stronach's stunning blow is as fatal as it seems at first glance.

The Conservative leader had always known he would be going for broke if he engineered a snap spring election. If he lost his gamble, his political career as a national leader would be history.

But as of yesterday, Harper is playing with dice loaded by the Liberals.

Even before Stronach bolted, Ontario was emerging as a daunting challenge for the Conservatives.

Over the past few weeks, successive polls have confirmed that the Liberals are much too resilient for Conservative comfort in the province that holds the key to the next campaign.

The Conservatives, code for Reform or Alliance, are basically through as a national party as long as Harper is their Leader. Stronach was about the only voice left that was moderate in the party which she helped to start up. The fact that even Belinda was not made to feel welcome with Harper's leadership, will be the proverbial straw that broke the camel's back.

All this proves is that darling belinda and her integrity{lol} was bought at a bargain price by the liberals.Mr. Harper still has his,and if he is not elected our next Prime Minister,then this speaks volumes about the liberal voters who would rather grace us once again with a corrupt and sleazy government.I truly hope most Canadians have taken their heads out of their asses by this point in time.

All this proves is that darling belinda and her integrity{lol} was bought at a bargain price by the liberals.Mr. Harper still has his,and if he is not elected our next Prime Minister,then this speaks volumes about the liberal voters who would rather grace us once again with a corrupt and sleazy government.I truly hope most Canadians have taken their heads out of their asses by this point in time.

Not voting for Harper in no way reflects badly on voters -- it completely reflects on Harper being unvoteable for by those voters. People are looking for someone else to put into power but they neither (understandably) trust Harper nor think the CPC led by Harper is in any way ready to take over the reins of rule.

Canada is too important to these voters to have it broken up or weakened by Harper. These people listen to what he says and what he has said in the past. These people are aware of his affiliations with the NCC; that this is an extreme (for Canada) right wing group; that this organization lobbied for corporate rights overlooking what is best for the citizens; that this organization believes in everyone for themselves when it comes to our social programs, including our health care systems.

The people that will not vote for Harper may want an alternative to the Liberals but they do not see Harper as a viable alternative. This is Harper's problem not the voters.

Not voting for Harper in no way reflects badly on voters --

Yes,actually it does.It means that our population would rather have a scandal plagued party ,which has lied to the Canadian public numerous times,rule us and have their way of governing portrayed as the way most Canadians think and act.

This will not bold well for us in the future to try and attract investments into Canada,most people and businesses do not like to deal with scoundrels,and believe me,this portrayal of Canadians by the liberals on the world stage will catch up to us,and will bite us quite severely in the ass.

Guest eureka

If your first paragraph is accurate - a doubtful premise, then your second is not.

Businesses do like to deal with scoundrels. The whole of economic history is one dominated by the dealings of scoundrels. Business leaders are far more comfortable when dealing with their own kind and when the important consideration is each others' price.

That is why business so strongly supports these "Conservatives" with their record going back into historic times of scoundreldom.

If I had to chose between corruption and no social conscience I'll, and I'd hazzard a guess and suggest that most Canadians will too, take a little corruption over no social conscience.

Canada is doing might fine thank you. If you really want to destroy this country put this mean-spirited little man Harper in power, supported by the Bloc's Duceppe - what a great duo they would make!

It means Bro, that Harper is not the viable alternative that he portrays himself as.  People don't want Harper.  They don't trust Harper.  What don't you get about that?  The CPCers better get their heads out of the sand if they ever want to form a government.

60.5% of voters turned out for the last election, of them 37% voted for the Liberals.

If I'm not mistaken that works out to around 23% of Canadians actually voting for the Liberal Party.

My point? This is hardly a reflection on what Canadians really want and more a reflection of the apathy Canadians have towards the entire system.

My point?  This is hardly a reflection on what Canadians really want and more a reflection of the apathy Canadians have towards the entire system.

Harper is part of that system, but I'm sure you feel that he doesn't share any blame for the present situation. The hoopla and nonsense he has helped create on parliament hill are also irrelavent to the apathy of voters, I'm sure.

The reality is that many Canadians equate our parliament with sandbox antics, an attitutde which is, sadly, accurate. Harper hasn't really raised the level of discourse up there, has he?

My point?  This is hardly a reflection on what Canadians really want and more a reflection of the apathy Canadians have towards the entire system.

Harper is part of that system, but I'm sure you feel that he doesn't share any blame for the present situation. The hoopla and nonsense he has helped create on parliament hill are also irrelavent to the apathy of voters, I'm sure.

The reality is that many Canadians equate our parliament with sandbox antics, an attitutde which is, sadly, accurate. Harper hasn't really raised the level of discourse up there, has he?

This has nothing to do with parties, the collective apathy of voters is a growing problem. No matter who is leading the country, only a fraction of voters will have voted for them.

The hoopola on Parliament Hill may be taxing (no pun intended) to some voters patience; however -- this is my personal opinion, I'd much rather have someone harping (no pun intended again) on the Liberals for the Gomery problems than an opposition that kicks back and just let's all this illegal activity slide.

Nobody is letting Adscam lie quietly, the voters are especially vocal about it. That does not mean, however, that the antics of our politicians, especially in Question Period, are justified. It has become meaningless and a joke. It has nothing to do with the corruption of the Sponsorship Program, it is all about making innuendoes and insults that they wouldn't dare make outside the HOC. If there were serious and genuine debates, problems could be solved. What they are doing is nothing more than acting up for their audiences back home. Too bad audiences tune in and give them credence. They deserve none. If they act like adult parliamentarians maybe more people would take them seriously.

Harper drove Stronach from Tories, friend says

One of Belinda Stronach's friends says she was driven from the Conservative Party by a loud dressing-down she received from Stephen Harper after she went public last week with her belief that an election should be delayed.

"I'm surprised she put up with it as long as she did," said one of her confidantes, who has talked with her repeatedly since she announced her departure Tuesday.

"The conversation she had with Harper, it was abusive. He yelled, he screamed, he berated her. It was a completely ridiculous situation for any person, particularly a woman, to have to be put in. And I can't imagine anybody in that situation putting up with that kind of nonsense and being expected to sit around in caucus."

This is totally unacceptable behaviour and Harper needs to be replaced as soon as possible.

Harper drove Stronach from Tories, friend says
One of Belinda Stronach's friends says she was driven from the Conservative Party by a loud dressing-down she received from Stephen Harper after she went public last week with her belief that an election should be delayed.

"I'm surprised she put up with it as long as she did," said one of her confidantes, who has talked with her repeatedly since she announced her departure Tuesday.

"The conversation she had with Harper, it was abusive. He yelled, he screamed, he berated her. It was a completely ridiculous situation for any person, particularly a woman, to have to be put in. And I can't imagine anybody in that situation putting up with that kind of nonsense and being expected to sit around in caucus."

This is totally unacceptable behaviour and Harper needs to be replaced as soon as possible.

Harper needs to be replaced because an anonymous source says that he got angry at an MP who blatantly failed to toe the line?

I don't think so. Harper is honest, hard working, and, unlike all the other leaders, doesn't come from a rich, socialite backround. Harper is our only hope.

Harper is honest, hard working, and, unlike all the other leaders, doesn't come from a rich, socialite backround. Harper is our only hope...

let me finish that thought.

..Harper is our only hope of proving that the conservitives are in fact completely out of touch with the ordinary canadian. :lol:

If harper is truly your 'only hope' you live in a sad sad world.

Where's ol Joe... i would have given him a go at it (again 25 years later :D )

Ohhh yeah... What is Harpers background? What are his 'shining credentials'?

Post em and we shall judge.

You know, if this really is the case, Harper really isn't a very good leader, or a very good person for that matter.

Harper isn't our only hope. A stable Liberal-NDP coalition is.

Harper by far has the most integrity of any of the leaders.

Why do people think he's mean spirited or has a 'secret agenda'? Because the Liberals, who have a proven track record of being pathological liars, said so. That fact that the Liberals hate harper so much is reason enough to vote him in as PM. If a party so corrupt hates him that much, he must be exactly what the country really needs.

Why do people think he's mean spirited or has a 'secret agenda'? Because the Liberals, who have a proven track record of being pathological liars, said so. That fact that the Liberals hate harper so much is reason enough to vote him in as PM. If a party so corrupt hates him that much, he must be exactly what the country really needs.

He truly is a good man. I honestly believe that. The Liberals and the media are so powerful in this country that it is almost impossible to counter the slander and demonization they have done to the man.

What is Harpers background? What are his 'shining credentials'?

Post em and we shall judge.

Well for one,he has no previous past involving corruption,and quebec does not have him in their back pocket,which should be good for Canadians outside of quebec.That is for starters.List 2 of the liberal parties shining credentials,besides the lies and corruption.

Guest eureka

The National Citizens Coalition was corrupt from its beginnings under Colin Brown. It was corrupt in that its only interest was to wring as much out of the people to line the pockets of Business leaders as it could get away with.

Harper has never been heard to say a word that does not follow that agenda.

Ergo, Harper is corrupt.

People see every day on the news what a Reform party government would do. George doubleya Bush is a shining example of the Reform Party plans for Canada.

I just hope people that voted Reform in the last election are realising that the Reform Platform is in vitual lockstep with Bush's - the rest of us are.

he Liberals and the media are so powerful in this country that it is almost impossible to counter the slander and demonization they have done to the man.

The National Post, Calgary Herald and GlobalTV is liberal?

This martyrdom of Saint Harper is wearing thin.

------------

If you love Bush, Klein and Harris, you'll love Harper.

If you want Canada to resemble those regimes, then there's no changing your mind: you'll vote for Harper.

If you want a different vision, minus the corruption, you gotta vote for a Lib-NDP-Green coalition.

Those are the two visions of the country. Make no mistake about it.

Moreover, none of the resident conservatives on this board have stepped forward to challenge this assessment.

bwahahahahaha... ohhh that was a good laugh.. Your kidding right... according to canadians he has the LEAST integrity of the leaders...

Leaders Integrity According to Canadians

1. Layton

2. Duceppe (sp?)

3. Martin

4. Harper

The poll was posted on another thread if someone can throw the link in here it would be much appreciated in illustrating that in fact LAST is not First.

Im a small c conservative, I live across the street from the former head of the PC party, HE even thinks Harper is a joke and stands no real chance.

Keep dreaming reformers in disguise :wacko: