Can the EU become a superpower like the U.S?

Can the EU become a superpower like the U.S?  

16 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

Although the EU still has a long way to go until it catches up with the U.S. in technology and military power, and also let's not forget that the EU population is declining. But, let's not overlook the fact that it has a larger economy than any other place in the world, iccluding the U.S. and it has had some notable diplomatic victories recently.

Therefore, in this forum I would like to discuss whether the European Union is capable of becoming an Economic and Mlitary Superpower like the United States. If you need any ideas, please read the orginal forum. Thank you and let's debate!!

The EU has not only caught up with the US in technological prowless, in many cases it as surpassed it. While R&D funding has been slashed in the US, in the EU it has steadily been increasing to the point now where the EU nations spend almost twice as much on R&D as does the US.

If and when the EU nations can agree on and fully intragrate their various Armed Forces, it will have a land and air military capability equal to that of the US. The joker in this deck of card to watch in Russia. If it ever joins the EU as a full partner, then the US military will be more then matched in all combat environments.

Economically, the EU is in a much stronger position then the US, having retained much of its own home grown manufacturing base. Also, the Euro is looking a lot more attractive to investors then the US dollar which has been steadily declining in value these past few months.

I would argue that the EU is in it ascendence while the US in its decline. The new super states will be the EU and China.

The EU has not only caught up with the US in technological prowless, in many cases it as surpassed it. While R&D funding has been slashed in the US, in the EU it has steadily been increasing to the point now where the EU nations spend almost twice as much on R&D as does the US.

If and when the EU nations can agree on and fully intragrate their various Armed Forces, it will have a land and air military capability equal to that of the US. The joker in this deck of card to watch in Russia. If it ever joins the EU as a full partner, then the US military will be more then matched in all combat environments.

Economically, the EU is in a much stronger position then the US, having retained much of its own home grown manufacturing base. Also, the Euro is looking a lot more attractive to investors then the US dollar which has been steadily declining in value these past few months.

I would argue that the EU is in it ascendence while the US in its decline. The new super states will be the EU and China.

pretty much right on, ive been wanting to take a permit work visa over there, and im gonna go back to college to brush up on french and learn chinese.

The EU does have a massive economy, however if you think the U.S. has debt problems you have another thing coming. They (the EU) have something to the effect of a 200% debt to GDP ratio, compare that to Canada at 67% and declining, and the U.S at 62% and raising. Is it possible for them to become a superpower in my opinion yes....likely NO. The member nations appear indecisive weak kneed, and prone to bickering amongst each other, not to mention breaking from EU guidlines. If the countries are more formally brought together, and more ambitious goals are set out/guidelines enforced...ya they could do it.

• 2 weeks later...

I say No simply because it is a union controlled by only two countries, Germany and France. The United States on the other hand IS a country unto itself, run by one government instead of many. I would trust Germany and France about as far as I can throw them, because both attempted to conquor the world at different times in history. France once, and Germany twice. Germany almost succeeded the last go around, and it was only with the intervention of the US into the war that stopped it from happening.