Mr. Dithers

willy

Beats being famous for using fraudulent and forged documentation, and lies to invade a foreign country.

I find it curious.

We may have invaded but our boats are all in dry dock and we don't have any planes.

But really, aside from SSM where does our government stand on anything.

After watching Dion on CBC last night I wonder if anyone can even communicate in cabinet.

Where can you stand on anything in a minority government. The only place to stand is the stance that would win. To find out the stance that would win takes time.

...and then we have people arguing for Proportional Representation which would never give a majority government.

WONDERFUL

Where can you stand on anything in a minority government. The only place to stand is the stance that would win. To find out the stance that would win takes time.
My Gawd, have you no principles?

He must be a Liberal - or uhm, a Conservative.

...and then we have people arguing for Proportional Representation which would never give a majority government.
I think Proportional representation is the only way to form a government in Canada whereby the politicians have to listen to their constituents. The way it stands right now, they lie, get elected and only when it is time to go to the polls again do they begin to pay attention to the issues that are important to the people. We have a definite democratic deficit in this country both federally and provincially. On top of that we have a supposed Charter that Canadian's did not have a chance to vote on, and our unelected, and unaccountable judiciary is using this flawed document to impose their will on Canadian's.

In my opinion when you have a Charter that affords more rights to criminals than to their victims, that is a flawed document. Whenever you have a situation whereby someone like Karla Holmolka is set to be released onto Canadian Society we have a pretty sick society. This is a case where this woman should never be released from custody, regardless of any plea bargain which she was part of. What do we tell the families of her victims when she commits another crime. Experts are predicting the there is a high risk that she will in fact reoffend, simply because she has never taken ownership for her participation in the murders that her and Paul were convicted for. She continues to play the part of the abused wife.

Martin could and would/ lead much differently if he had a majority government

Wrong. How quickly you forget. He had a majority and delayed everything possible until after the election. His recent 'decision' (an outright lie actually) on missile defence is a disgraceful play to his caucus and Liberal convention.

We're getting what we deserve for continuing to vote for this exhausted and corrupt Party.

His recent 'decision' (an outright lie actually) on missile defence is a disgraceful play to his caucus and Liberal convention.

Though i do not agree with him, you have to give PM PM a little more credit than you do. His decision was met by a US response of basically " we don't really care what you think, we will shoot down missiles over your soveirgn airspace if we feel like it". Through past speeches from the US, this has hardly been a surprise. PM PM just appeased nay sayers of the BMD , made the yanks look like bullies and buffoons, put the opposition in a position where they get hammered no matter which direction they take. If they agree with PM PM, then they get whacked from the left and if they are with the yanks (who have said they will wage a war in Canuck airspace if needed), then they will get slapped silly from the right. There is no safe middle ground on this issue anymore. If PM PM plays his cards right, he might just come out this smelling like a rose. :blink:

Wrong. How quickly you forget. He had a majority and delayed everything possible until after the election. His recent 'decision' (an outright lie actually) on missile defence is a disgraceful play to his caucus and Liberal convention.

Wrong again; Martin did NOT have a mandate; Chretien did; Paul Martin was not elected by the voters to lead our country. Legally, he did have the rights; morally, he did the right thing by avoiding any serious decisions until after the election. Democracy is not as many believe' supposed to be just once every 4 years or so on voting day. Democracy should seriously consider the wishes of the people.. His decision, which may not be his own personal choice; does follow the known wishes of the majority of Canadians. That is the path he should follow and with a minority government must follow to avoid another espensive, undecisive election. I am not a fan of Martin's but shudder to think of any of the other leaders (Harper in particular) making these decisions.

I think Martin made a better finance minister than he does PM. He's giving the bank away in my view, first health care (esp. separate but equal Quebec), the Newfoundland agreement that now has other jurisdictions clamouring for that same (in)equality, the missile system, which I am personally against, but hate to think he (Martin) would go against what our experts recommend to appease the voters, the majority of whom know (and care to know) nothing, jump to conclusions without any facts, and worse, once facts are known, refuse to change their outlook because they have already taken the "position".

He is there to make the best decisions for this country - not just to get re-elected. You can't please all the people all the time and that's what it appears he is trying to do. Or am I just used to jerks like Mulroney and Chretien that just DIDN'T care what the heck voters wanted, they just followed their own path to put their names permanently on the legacy map.

I have very little respect for politicians, the higher they get the more self serving they become. Martin seems to be no different.

Legally, he did have the rights; morally, he did the right thing by avoiding any serious decisions until after the election. Democracy is not as many believe' supposed to be just once every 4 years or so on voting day. Democracy should seriously consider the wishes of the people.. His decision, which may not be his own personal choice; does follow the known wishes of the majority of Canadians. That is the path he should follow and with a minority government must follow to avoid another espensive, undecisive election. I am not a fan of Martin's but shudder to think of any of the other leaders (Harper in particular) making these decisions.

It is comments like this that make me fearful for the future of our country.

A LEADER is judged not by the easy decisions he makes, but by the unpopular ones. Martin, and his predecessor, do not delay or obfusctate important issues because it serves Canadians, they do it because it serves them as Liberals. I am sickened by my fellow citizens who recognize this and applaud it.

I would even give Martin the benefit of doubt in his missile defence decision. But the facts are that again he has lied to us. Unless Canada withdraws from MORAD, we are already party to missile defence. No mention of that from Martin. No mention of his commitment to a parliamentary debate. Remember that promise? No mention off why he has reversed his opinion on Canadian participation. Remember that?

• 2 weeks later...

Yah Martin's record as Finance Minister has never been beaten yet, he raised taxes further and faster than any other Finance Minister in the history of Canada. He also hid Billions in special funds that are beyond MP's scrutiny so he is also slimy and underhanded as well.

but hate to think he (Martin) would go against what our experts recommend to appease the voters, the majority of whom know (and care to know) nothing,

That IS how a REAL democracy is supposed to work. The primeminister and other politicians are there to follow the wishes of the voters. Democracy is a year round process; not just once every 4 years on voting day. Any "experts" who know better than us (the voters) are there to educate us. For all your so called "esperts" who support this missile defense shield or any other program; there are other experts who oppose it.

The message I get is NOT full support or confidence in the missile defense shield; those who want Canada to join is more concerned with Canada having more inside information on the plans and decisions that the USA will make on this dubious system that has had countless failures and any encroachment on Canadian airspace and collateral damage on Canadian soil.