Stephen Harper's New Book - Right Here, Right Now - the Age of Disruption

4 hours ago, Centerpiece said:

Here's an interview with Harper about his book. Always good to hear his perspective - whether you agree with him or not. He's a thinker....

Sounds very interesting, and the book looks like it'll make a great Christmas present for Dad.

I think Harper spoke very boldly, he said a few surprising things there. But hats off to him for being honest.
After seeing that I think, man, I wish we could re-elect him as Prime Minister!

Some of the things he said about populism are exactly what I said, further up in this thread.

Harper implies that if the Right fails in its quest to reform international trade, the backlash from the left will plunge us into dystopian animal farm. The future of democracy, and indeed, civil society in the West, is all up to us now guys. 

On 10/13/2018 at 7:10 PM, OftenWrong said:

Sounds very interesting, and the book looks like it'll make a great Christmas present for Dad.

I think Harper spoke very boldly, he said a few surprising things there. But hats off to him for being honest.
After seeing that I think, man, I wish we could re-elect him as Prime Minister!

Some of the things he said about populism are exactly what I said, further up in this thread.

Harper implies that if the Right fails in its quest to reform international trade, the backlash from the left will plunge us into dystopian animal farm. The future of democracy, and indeed, civil society in the West, is all up to us now guys. 

While I agree with much of Harper's assessment, I'm not sure he's the best spokesperson for the anti-globalists or populists. After all, during his lengthy tenure as PM he largely served the interests of the globalizers, continuing to promote the holy trinity of policies associated with the global labour/wage arbitrage agenda: "free trade" deals, large-scale immigration and increased access (to Canadian jobs) for foreign workers, particularly in skilled labour fields. Implementation of this agenda began in earnest in the Mulroney era and has continued unabated ever since, including under Harper.

Harper states that "In short, the world of globalization is not working for many of our own people. We can pretend that this is a false perception, but it is not. We now have a choice. We can keep trying to convince people that they misunderstand their own lives, or we can try to understand what they are saying. Then we can decide what to do about it." Go figure. My response, though is to ask what his government(s) did to address the situation? Sure, they tinkered around the edges of the (very real) problems associated with our refugee and sponsored immigrant programs. But the globalist agenda was largely permitted to continue its dirty work in undermining middle class stability and prosperity. 

Edited by turningrite