Dishonest Reporting Awards

From the "About Us" section of their web-page, you can gather that they feel Israel is being unfairly portrayed in the media, or that media is biased against Israel. They steer clear of saying they're a Jewish group, but I would not be surprised to hear they were.

"The Photo that Started It All" is an interesting story. A photo, showing a bleeding young man and a club-wielding policeman, was run in the New York Times with the caption "An Israeli policeman and a Palestinian on the Temple Mount", with the clear implication that the Israeli policeman had beaten the Palestinian bloody.

In fact, it turns out that the "Palestinian" was an American Jew visiting Israel; he had been beaten and stabbed by a group of Arabs, and the club-wielding police had saved him.

Are there similar such examples? Are the "Dishonest Reporting Award" nominees examples? I certainly couldn't claim to know one way or the other.

-kimmy

We all know that the media makes many errors in trying to get out the story too fast before checking facts. That works for both sides of the issue.

During the start of the invasion of Iraq; a room was found full of stacked bodies 15 years old that was at first claimed to be evidence of Saddam's torture chamber. Authorities admitted that they were repatriated bodies recently returned from Iran. Despite this 2 days later; the Province had these pictures on the front page claiming them to be "evidence" of Saddam's torture chambers. A story correction was never issued; or if it was; it was buried in small print on the back pages.

My complaint was not answered and I cancelled my subscription.

So, yes, news is often distorted but not generally to Israel's disfavour. In fact, since most of our media is controlled by Can West owned by the Aspers (Jewish); the reports generally paint a picture of Israel as the "victim" of Palestinian aggression. I was under the impression that Palestinian "terrorists" were the only wrong doers until I joined a forum debating the Iraq war. I first was against it as I thought the focus shouold stay on the al Qaeda. I discovered many facts that shook my beliefs and trust in the USA and Israel.