Evolution. What is meant by "macro-" and "micro-" and mistaken interpretations....

1 minute ago, betsy said:

Find someone to refute Tour, Scott.

Find some reason to defend your faith in him. I posted this thread distinct from yours to speak on the misinterpretation of the meanings of "macro-" or "micro-" evolution, not to attempt to dispute your 'faith'. There is nothing I can say that will persuade you against your beliefs when you simply pass the buck on to someone else you expect to do your arguing. If you can't defend it that's alright. If I want to read Tour and speak against his views, I could do that without you though. 

12 hours ago, ?Impact said:

Inference is not a peer reviewed journal.

So what!  "The "term "peer-review" isn't a magic term that translates to guaranteed credibility anymore!

Publish-or-perish: Peer review and the corruption of science

Pressure on scientists to publish has led to a situation where any paper, however bad, can now be printed in a journal that claims to be peer-reviewed

https://www.theguardian.com/science/2011/sep/05/publish-perish-peer-review-science

You can help Scott find someone to refute Tour.  Maybe, the two of you working together will get you to find one! 

Evolutionists like you, should pressure Richard Dawkins to respond and  debate with Tour!  He's too quiet about this.  

Maybe.....it'll be like The God Delusion all over again. smiley.gif

Edited by betsy

10 hours ago, betsy said:

So what!

Exactly, you somehow associated publishing an article in Inference as carrying weight, which it does not. Science does not progress by throwing the gauntlet at the whole science community, that is called grandstanding (childish behavior).

Tour's argument is against the infinite monkey theorem , but that is really what evolution theory is about because there is a reward feedback loop that is missing from that theorem.

3 hours ago, ?Impact said:

Exactly, you somehow associated publishing an article in Inference as carrying weight, which it does not. Science does not progress by throwing the gauntlet at the whole science community, that is called grandstanding (childish behavior).

Tour's argument is against the infinite monkey theorem , but that is really what evolution theory is about because there is a reward feedback loop that is missing from that theorem.

Betsy likely doesn't even know WHAT Tour's arguments even are. She knows of some newer proponent of the Christian apologist movement who she simply copies and pastes without reading or even being able to follow if she did. 

@Betsy, when you're actually accountable for what you believe and can argue with your own capacity, I'll listen.

• Thanks 1

13 hours ago, ?Impact said:

It may be grandstanding in your book.....

.........but it sure is being quite frank about what is being falsely peddled for a fact.  That's called, exposing disinformation, Impact!   Whistle-blowing.

What more, when the  ignorant public (who relies on the supposed credibility and expertise of scientists), are being fooled! 

Look at you.  Anyone says "it's peer-reviewed"........and you automatically lap it all up!  To you, the truth has to be "peer-reviewed" to be the truth.  You don't even know about the corruption that's been plaguing peer-reviews!

Tour has reached a stature in his career when he isn't intimidated anymore by anyone!   He can state an opinion, or a fact without having to fear for his career!

I have witnessed unfair treatment upon scientists that do not accept macroevolutionary arguments and for their having signed the Dissent statement regarding the examination of Darwinian Theory.

I never thought that science would have evolved like this.

But my recent advice to my graduate students has been direct and revealing: If you disagree with theories of evolution, keep it to yourselves if you value your careers, unless you’re one of those champions for proclamation;

https://www.jmtour.com/personal-topics/evolution-creation/

Go with Scott, Impact.  You both look for someone to refute Tour.

Edited by betsy

5 hours ago, betsy said:

What more, when the  ignorant public (who relies on the supposed credibility and expertise of scientists), are being fooled! 

This is proof that you are not being sincere, betsy. If science or scientists in general are fooling everyone, you can't then SELECT the trivial few you think qualify simply because they agree with your viewpoint. You are merely demonstrating that the Discovery Institute is NOT motivated to 'discover' anything but to intentionally create a false 'science' for hideous religious political reasons.  The idea is to (1) present your narrow audience with people under the label 'scientist' to feel on equal par with real science and/or (2) to claim 'science' as a whole is controversial given some who have signed an article of faith with your common believers assure not 100% of all scientists are supporters of specific science theories (Evolutionary ones here).

• Thanks 1

3 hours ago, Scott Mayers said:

This is proof that you are not being sincere, betsy. If science or scientists in general are fooling everyone, you can't then SELECT the trivial few you think qualify simply because they agree with your viewpoint. You are merely demonstrating that the Discovery Institute is NOT motivated to 'discover' anything but to intentionally create a false 'science' for hideous religious political reasons.  The idea is to (1) present your narrow audience with people under the label 'scientist' to feel on equal par with real science and/or (2) to claim 'science' as a whole is controversial given some who have signed an article of faith with your common believers assure not 100% of all scientists are supporters of specific science theories (Evolutionary ones here).

Don' take my statement out of context.  Read my whole post.

Go find someone to refute Tour.

Edited by betsy

9 hours ago, betsy said:

Anyone says "it's peer-reviewed"........and you automatically lap it all up!

peer-review is like democracy. It is the worst form of scientific publication, except for all the others.

57 minutes ago, betsy said:

Go find someone to refute Tour.

Tour has already been refuted many times, but you won't listen.

14 hours ago, ?Impact said:

peer-review is like democracy. It is the worst form of scientific publication, except for all the others.

Lol.  Then, why on earth do you rely on it.  It's a criteria for you that it must be in a peer-reviewed journal.

Read what you wrote. :lol:

On 2/1/2018 at 5:24 PM, ?Impact said:

Inference is not a peer reviewed journal.

Either you're very confused.....or you shift anyway that suits you....... even blatantly contradicting yourself.

Tour has already been refuted many times, but you won't listen.

If he's been refuted, you wouldn't miss  posting that refutation for the world. 

You busted your credibility with your shiftiness, Impact.    Bye now.....

Edited by betsy

Either you're very confused.....or you shift anyway that suits you....... even blatantly contradicting yourself.

Obviously you didn't read what I wrote. Where did I ever say that a fairy tale is better than peer reviewed research? You are the confused one.

If he's been refuted, you wouldn't miss  posting that refutation for the world.

First of all he has posted some totally unscientific claims that I previously pointed out. Second, his article is not taken seriously by the scientific community. He is talking way outside his field, and has failed to provide anything of substance so he is ignored - that is refutation.

As I suggested before, if you are really interested you would be far better served by reading Jack Szostak. He is one of the preeminent researchers in this field and has plenty of scientific publications along with high level summaries for the general public; he even has a few youtube videos if you don't want to read.