Canada's Third World Health Care System

Argus

45 minutes ago, ?Impact said:

...and starve the public system. Only the rich deserve good health, it is not a human right it is a wealth entitlement.

A mixed system appears to work well in most of Europe - better than our Cuban inspired system anyway.

47 minutes ago, ?Impact said:

...and starve the public system. Only the rich deserve good health, it is not a human right it is a wealth entitlement.

The funding for Public health care will not change. Only that it would only take care of those who cannot afford. The Private care are for those who are willing to pay for it. Just like big houses and cars and good hotels and better food are those who are willing to pay for it. Why health care be different. 

1 hour ago, CITIZEN_2015 said:

The funding for Public health care will not change. Only that it would only take care of those who cannot afford. The Private care are for those who are willing to pay for it. Just like big houses and cars and good hotels and better food are those who are willing to pay for it. Why health care be different. 

The problem is that we always have those with higher incomes demanding cutting services and lowering taxes. They prefer a pay for play scheme and not an income based scheme.

Health care is not the same thing as sleeping in a five star hotel, it is essential to life.

1 hour ago, Argus said:

A mixed system appears to work well in most of Europe - better than our Cuban inspired system anyway.

Again lets compare exactly what system you are talking about. Most European countries include things like dental plans in their public system, and most European countries pay more in public dollars for their health care. When there is private insurance options in Europe, they are usually scaled to income and not risk. When I was living and working there as a young healthy individual without any dependents, I was paying very high premiums because of my income. As I have pointed out elsewhere, there are also some major problems with some of the European systems (e.g. France & Switzerland) with very low satisfaction levels and people being unable to pay their medical bills.

27 minutes ago, ?Impact said:

. As I have pointed out elsewhere, there are also some major problems with some of the European systems (e.g. France & Switzerland) with very low satisfaction levels and people being unable to pay their medical bills.

And do you think those people expressing dissatisfaction with the system in France and Switzerland would prefer OUR system? From what I've read, the French expect, when they go to an ER, to be seen within minutes, not ten or twelve hours. And they can get doctors to make house calls. But I'm game for adopting whatever mix seems to work best over there. Certainly there are systems that work better than ours.

Here's a comparison. Notice that Canada places last in terms of doctors and hospital beds?

http://www.cnn.com/2017/03/17/health/health-care-global-uk-national-health-system-eprise/index.html

Here's another one on international satisfaction with health care. Guess where Canada places again?

https://www.cbsnews.com/news/u-s-health-care-system-ranks-lowest-in-international-survey/

1 hour ago, Argus said:

Here's a comparison

What is most interesting is to compare the two articles you linked to. One complains about the UK having the worst system in the world with patients being told not to come to the emergency room unless they are in critical condition, and then they will be treated to a self serve system where they have to amputate their own leg using the supplied saw. The other talks about how the UK system is the best in the world.

I think I'm the only one that is completely happy with our healthcare system. I don't have allot of experience but have been to emergency maybe ten times for myself and family members over the course of my life. I've found the wait times very reasonable, the people very personable and patient, the buildings and equipment clean and in good repair. We've been bumped for more urgent situations and that is totally reasonable in my opinion, I think I've also been slipped in front of someone else at least once. I'm sure hospitals and doctors offices go through busy times and slow times just like any other profession (I believe most emergency medical situations are not scheduled).  

I honestly don't know if we are wasting money on our health care system, we probably could eliminate several inefficiencies but there are so many other places we are hemorrhaging money that should be cleaned up first. At least most health care spending is staying within Canada.  Our healthcare system to me is exactly as it should be, you go in, you get fixed up, you go home, everyone has a right to the same service regardless of wealth or stature, simple as that.

PS, to all you health care people out there, I am truly grateful for everything you do for us, you are top notch and easily among some of the best people I've met in my life. Thank you 

• Thanks 1