Time For Knife Control In Canada

More than 3 inches - five years. I like it.

One can easily be snuffed with a blade much shorter than this... <_<

I think that anyone that wishes to carry a weapon of any sort, should first have to undergo victim affinity training. Ergo, a potential gun owner would, before being considered for ownership of a licensed firearm, be shot in a non-vital organ, in a controlled environment, by a weapons control commissioner. Likewise, a person wishing to carry a knife on his/her person, should first be subject to state sanctioned stabbing...

Those carrying weapons without proper victim affinity training (and the scars to prove it) should have this training imposed summarily by the arresting officers... ;)

More than 3 inches - five years. I like it.

One can easily be snuffed with a blade much shorter than this... <_<

I think that anyone that wishes to carry a weapon of any sort, should first have to undergo victim affinity training. Ergo, a potential gun owner would, before being considered for ownership of a licensed firearm, be shot in a non-vital organ, in a controlled environment, by a weapons control commissioner. Likewise, a person wishing to carry a knife on his/her person, should first be subject to state sanctioned stabbing...

Those carrying weapons without proper victim affinity training (and the scars to prove it) should have this training imposed summarily by the arresting officers... ;)

ROTFPIMPALMFAO!

Thanks, Vanni Fucci!

I cannot believe this thread is actually being taken seriously, or was posted seriously.

A knife, when used as a weapon, is a stabbing instrument.

As has already been pointed out in this thread, many things can be used to stab.

Many things can be modified to become stabbing weapons.

Many household tools could be used to stab WITHOUT any modification.

Screwdrivers are the first thing to come to mind.

Hell, even a stick can have one end sharpened and be made into a lethal weapon.

Should we be banning/licensing ANYTHING which can be used as a stabbing weapon???

Are we gonna take away people's carpentry tools???

The tools they use to work on their cars???

How about knitting needles??? Those bloody things could be deadly with no modification at all.

As long as we're going that far, better license all the trees in the country, because they can be made into an awfully lot of sharpened sticks.

Better license windows because broken glass can be a deadly weapon, in the right hands.

Watch out, those used CD's and DVD's could have the edges honed and be thrown like shurikens :ph34r:

Sorry, but the whole concept is ludicrous.

Beyond the current legislations regulating concealed weapons, or limiting the length of a blade which can be legally carried, the rest would be nearly impossible to implement, and silly to even try.

Now that we have basically addressed the gun issue, it is time for some government legislation on the knife issue.
But have we addressed the gun issue?

Maple Syrup, you remind me of the Americans in Vietnam and the ultimate line of bureaucrats everywhere. Declare victory, and move on.

The truth is a pesky intrusion when the vast world awaits your progressive, reforming hand.

*Mumbles* "Now that we have basically addressed the gun issue..." Gimme a break.

I cannot believe this thread is actually being taken seriously, or was posted seriously.

Yes, when I logged on and saw this thread at the top of my list again - that people were still posting to it I just had to pop in and see what the hell they were talking about.

Mind, it is useful to see just how low the IQ level is of some of the posters on this site. Not to mention how citified so many of you are.

Registering knives? An idea only a complete blithering imbecile could embrace. So we register DVD players? Sometimes the manufacturer does, not the government. Many homes have a DVD player, some have two. I have at least fifty knives. A restaurant could have thousands. Just at a guess there are probably four or five hundred million knives in this country, with millions being imported, made, sold, lost, destroyed or stolen every week. How in the hell do you cretins think we could possibly keep such a list updated without expending billions of dollars?

As for the idea of imprisoning people for carrying knives - do you morons who propose that have any idea how many rural people carry knives routinely? Just about every native on the reserve, for one. Almost every farmer, fisherman, lumberman, not to mention every carpenter, and most tradesemen. Here's a little story. When I was about 15 I came into Ottawa to visit a relative and watch the House of Commons. A guard in Parliament stopped me after noticing I had a long hunting knife on my belt. I hadn't even remembered I had it, and wouldn't have thought much about it if I had. Apparently you can't take knives into the H of C. So they wrote me out a chit for it and kept it at the desk until I left. I thought they were being kind of paranoid but hey, no big deal.

Literally millions of people routinely carry knives without the slightest intention of using them on anyone else.

Here's a clue: if you want to lower violent crime, arrest the violent criminals and put them in prison for a long, long time. Or is that too complex a solution for you?

Here's a little story. When I was about 15 I came into Ottawa to visit a relative and watch the House of Commons. A guard in Parliament stopped me after noticing I had a long hunting knife on my belt. Apparently you can't take knives into the H of C. So they wrote me out a chit for it and kept it at the desk until I left.

A "little" story? A tall story is more like it.

There's a law in Canada that forbids one to prounce around the city with "long" knives.

Unless you consider three (or so) inches long, like my friend, JLK, does.

There's a law in Canada that forbids one to prounce around the city with "long" knives.

That wasn't always the case. At one time people actually had rights in this country and it was the criminals who were punished not the average joe. I would guess that Argus is reffering to pre 1950 when things were a little more relaxed and most people lived in rural settings (the use of the word chit should have been some sort of a clue).

Mind, it is useful to see just how low the IQ level is of some of the posters on this site. Not to mention how citified so many of you are

Insults show the low level of intelligence of the poster; when you resort to cheap insults it shows you yourself have nothing concrete to offer. As for not being hicks; being a hick doesn't make one smarter. I was born on a farm and now live in the city. One does not need to go around even the farm areas with a long hunting knife; a Jack knife fits the bill. Walking around with long hunting knives went out with Davy Crockett.

Here's a little story. When I was about 15 I came into Ottawa to visit a relative and watch the House of Commons. A guard in Parliament stopped me after noticing I had a long hunting knife on my belt.  Apparently you can't take knives into the H of C. So they wrote me out a chit for it and kept it at the desk until I left.

I could take offense at your insinuating I'm lying, but as it's clear you don't have a clue what you're talking about anyway I suppose I'll pass on the neccesary return insult. So there's a "law" against carrying "long knives" is there? Perhaps you'd like to point it out to us. By the way, have you ever been outside a city?

That wasn't always the case. At one time people actually had rights in this country and it was the criminals who were punished not the average joe. I would guess that Argus is reffering to pre 1950 when things were a little more relaxed and most people lived in rural settings (the use of the word chit should have been some sort of a clue).

It wasn't nearly that far back. It would have been the mid seventies. And yes, the country was much more relaxed then. There was little violent crime, esp in Ottawa. We had no street gangs, no swarmings, and the only fights in school were one on one with fists. Even bullies wouldn't kick you when you were down. And you have to remember that Ottawa is surrounded by rural areas. We still get the occasional moose swimming across the river and trundling down city streets. Back in those days we had a place on the Ottawa river outside town and every teenage boy carried a knife. Partly it was useful, and partly, being teenage boys, it was for show. But no one ever threatened anyone with one, nor even considered it, so far as I know. We wound up breaking most of them (they weren't exactly super high quality) trying to throw them at trees like Daniel Boone. I don't know if anyone thought it strange when I took the bus into town with one on my belt, but no one mentioned it until the guard outside the actual House of Commons noticed and took me back to the entrance. Even he didn't make a big deal out of it. He thought it was amusing. I imagine today they'd call a SWAT team or something and have me questioned by the police, but back then they just gave me a chit (or whatever you choose to call it), and I went back in and watched Diefenbaker making fun of Trudeau.

Mind, it is useful to see just how low the IQ level is of some of the posters on this site. Not to mention how citified so many of you are

Insults show the low level of intelligence of the poster; when you resort to cheap insults it shows you yourself have nothing concrete to offer.

Not neccessarily. Sometimes they show the lack of patience of the poster with idiots. And anyone who seriously believes we ought to "register" hundreds of millions of knives is an idiot.

Dear Cartman,

As an aside, I have never understood why the gun registry was so costly.
Pure, outright fraud. The gun registry was designed to be done by mail, the cheapest way for the gov't to do it. (I have a friend that worked at Rev Can for almost 20 years). The original 2 million was a reasonable estimate. For it to balloon to 1 billion+ means that fraudulent expenses have been used on such a scale that it should put the Liberal advertising scandal to shame.

I suppose we should also run over people with a car before they get a drivers license? Heck, why not hook electrical wires to peoples never regions if they wish to change a light bulb without a proper license? People who wish to jaywalk can do so after they have been run over by a city bus once or twice.

Caesar is the only one who has it right so far, it is not the gun or the knife that is at fault, it is the idiot behind them that are at fault. It would make more sense to make people take compassion courses or something in school.

I suppose we should also run over people with a car before they get a drivers license? Heck, why not hook electrical wires to peoples never regions if they wish to change a light bulb without a proper license? People who wish to jaywalk can do so after they have been run over by a city bus once or twice.

Caesar is the only one who has it right so far, it is not the gun or the knife that is at fault, it is the idiot behind them that are at fault. It would make more sense to make people take compassion courses or something in school.

...and I think that some people have taken my post entirely too seriously...this thread was a ridiculous assertion from the outset...my post was meant to reflect how positively inane this topic of discussion truly is... :D

Not neccessarily. Sometimes they show the lack of patience of the poster with idiots. And anyone who seriously believes we ought to "register" hundreds of millions of knives is an idiot.

Then just ignore the thread. Most of us are here for a chuckle. I can't believe it is still going. Nothing too interesting to argue about at the moment, I guess.

• 4 weeks later...
A lot of violent crime is done with knives as well as guns, and we need to get them off the streets too.

Knives should have serial numbers on them, and the purchaser or owner of a knife should have to register them.

Now that we have basically addressed the gun issue, it is time for some government legislation on the knife issue.

The only thing that will bring an end to violent crime is the end to a violent power structure.

There is a lot of discussion around the topic and some of it uses the number of stabbings in Calgary Clubs as a justification for more governmental intervention. First off I live and work in the city, secondly I have been up close and personal with the issue as my brother was stabbed ten times in the back and head at one of those clubs. My brother is not invloved in any gang activity and was actually doing promotional work for the club the night he was there. He was a victim of malicious and hateful violence.

This violence, gun or knife related, does not stem from violent political systems nor can it be stoped by assanine governmental attempts at control. Violence is as old as human history. The best we can do is attempt to manage its impact on us. That management needs to stem from responsiable behaviour on the part of government, police, and Club/Bar owners. If Calgary night clubs put more efforts into ensuring there was security in their clubs (cameras, metal detection systems, fully trained bouncers) the impact of city violence would be controled.

There is no easy answer, and if there is one it is not 'Knife Control'. Responsible bar ownership, greater police invlovement to manage the growing ethnic tensions, gang activity and drug related crime, and a overhaull of the penial system to ensure that knife related offences are treated as more serious offences, are all ways to begin limiting the violence.

I could take offense at your insinuating I'm lying, but as it's clear you don't have a clue what you're talking about anyway I suppose

Anyone with half a brain would know you don't go around the city with a long hunting knife nor try to enter a government buidling wearing one. We do allow the wearing of long knives for religious reasons but I believe that should be changed. What does the wearing of a knife have to do with religion? if it is symbolic of something the blades should be unusable.

This violence, gun or knife related, does not stem from violent political systems nor can it be stoped by assanine governmental attempts at control. Violence is as old as human history. The best we can do is attempt to manage its impact on us.

When people see that the only way to resolve issues is through brut force, it becomes almost an addiction for some. The end to police brutality, authoritarian schooling structures, "free" markets, historical glorification of those that commit genocide, and over sensationalization of violent crime in the media, will make a drastic difference in violent crime.

Yes the end to the violent political structure, will make a difference.

This violence, gun or knife related, does not stem from violent political systems nor can it be stoped by assanine governmental attempts at control. Violence is as old as human history. The best we can do is attempt to manage its impact on us.

When people see that the only way to resolve issues is through brut force, it becomes almost an addiction for some. The end to police brutality, authoritarian schooling structures, "free" markets, historical glorification of those that commit genocide, and over sensationalization of violent crime in the media, will make a drastic difference in violent crime.

Yes the end to the violent political structure, will make a difference.

I will bite,

can you tell me what you propose to replace it with?

^^^

I'd sudgest replacing it with a system that actually deals with reality. If we make it so that people don't have to cheat, steal, brown-nose, or brutalize in order to survive, then people will begin to understand the trivialness of thier violent tendencies.

In short, I believe in a society without hierarchies. Human interaction is much more complex than that of a wolf pack, and therefore we should strive to make that so.