26 birth houses identified used by Mainland Chinese.

So are you one of those 'free borders' folk who believe we should let in anyone who wants to come here?

If not do you have any standards at all for who comes here?

Contrarily, are you one of those folk who think Canada is basically a "place" like an island, owned by no one, with no culture. Anyone can come and go as they please and it's all the same to you.

No, not free borders at all. My standards would be pretty much the standard we have now - No criminals allowed. No deceit to get in allowed.

What those standards have to do with granting citizenship of birth is beyond me.

Is Canada an island?...sort of, yes. Owned by the crown, more or less. With culture or without, it matters not. Anyone can come and go as they please as long as the proper paperwork is filled out, and again no criminals allowed. and no fraud allowed.

Pretty much it.

like Cyber says. I hold china to the standard of "I don't give a shit why, how or when" they grant citizenship. I do care about those things regarding Canada granting citizenship.

Then if you don't care about China and its citizenship process why are you so staunch in allowing Chinese to get around the immigration system in Canada?

Just to clarify my position on citizenship by birth, since it seems some keep bringing up that the parents of the newborn may just be tourists, as if they are trying to get to where I would draw a line. Let me provide an imagined scenario in which citizenship by birth would still stand.

A woman is pregnant in some other country somewhere. She thinks it would be really cool if she gave birth in Canada so's she, at cocktail parties, could mention that her child is also a Canadian! Wouldn't that be the coolest thing?. So the time comes and off to Canada she goes (maybe at her own cost, maybe at somebody else's cost, whatever). She gives birth to a fine child, and then returns to her home country.

At future gatherings she and her peers laugh and giggle at the fact that Canada allowed her child to have Canadian citizenship. Silly Canada!

To my mind the citizenship stands. Even then!

So Canadian citizenship is worth a joke at a cocktail party abroad? Yeah you really value this country.

In fact I find this an insult to my ancestors who helped forge this country, fought and died for it. Is this what they struggled for, fought and died for a joke by some ingrate at a cocktail party abroad? A joke on our behalf and generosity?

Edited by G Huxley

So Canadian citizenship is worth a joke at a cocktail party abroad? Yeah you really value this country.

In fact I find this an insult to my ancestors who helped forge this country, fought and died for it. Is this what they struggled for, fought and died for a joke by some ingrate at a cocktail party abroad? A joke on our behalf and generosity?

I don't think jokes and giggles have as much power as you think they have.

Oh no, not at all, getting your kids instant citizenship simply because you came here as a tourist isn't cheating the system at all.

It's not cheating the system in even the remotest. The rule is, and has been for a very loong time, if born in Canada then Canadian citizenship goes right along with it (foreign nationals serving foriegn governments excepted). Tourism has been around for a very long time too. This isn't some new thing.

So why are you upset now? Whats different now? Nothing.

Its a real joke when we have to foot their medical bills and those of their aging parents.

Of course we foot thier medical bills. Should they ever come and live here they will be citizens and all citizens get thier medical bills almost entirely paid for by the taxpayer . Even you. Most certainly me. ... and every other Canadian citizen.

They're not getting around the immigration system. Not even in the slightest.

I don't understand this absurd claim that they're "getting around the immigration system." I'd press these people to prove that, but I suspect it will end up being proven just about as well as they proved the new judges lacked the qualifications for the bench.

Is Canada an island?...sort of, yes. Owned by the crown, more or less. With culture or without, it matters not. Anyone can come and go as they please as long as the proper paperwork is filled out, and again no criminals allowed. and no fraud allowed.

Pretty much it.

So you don't see Canada as a nation of people with its own culture and values which are important to preserve?

It's not cheating the system in even the remotest. The rule is, and has been for a very loong time, if born in Canada then Canadian citizenship goes right along with it (foreign nationals serving foriegn governments excepted). Tourism has been around for a very long time too. This isn't some new thing.

What's different now is that thousands of third world people are stopping by to have babies in order to acquire citizenship they don't deserve and shouldn't have. Unlike you, I regard being "Canadian" as more than simply a stamp on a piece of paper. A Canadian has a certain general mindset, culture and value systems, as well as a shared history with other Canadians. An anchor baby will grow up in China (or wherever) and be Chinese in every single aspect of his or her life. There will not be a single thing about his history, attitude, outlook on life or values which marks him or her as a Canadian. You might want throw your arms around him and welcome him as a "Hail, fellow, well met" but to me he's a foreigner and a stranger.

Of course we foot thier medical bills. Should they ever come and live here they will be citizens and all citizens get thier medical bills almost entirely paid for by the taxpayer . Even you. Most certainly me. ... and every other Canadian citizen.

The difference is we spend our whole lives paying taxes, while they just reap the benefits in old age.

This should obviously be revoked. So tell us again Peter F, why you think Canada should give away citizenship like candy and yet you have no criticism for Beijing for being protectionist of Chinese citizenship?

So you don't see Canada as a nation of people with its own culture and values which are important to preserve?

I do see Canada as a nation of people. It's own culture? Its own values? I doubt very much that we could agree on what those values are judging from what I have read here on MLW since I showed up. So no, I don't believe that there is some common shared value set or culture common to all Canadians.

However, being a functional democracy for the most part, I suppose that at the end of the day what comes out in the wash is a value set and culture that is unique as reflected by our laws and civil bureaucracy.

So Yes, I do believe Canada does have a unique culture and its own values.

Are those values and that resulting culture important to preserve? Not really. Both evolve over time as Canada's society evolves. I would not say that our culture - whatever that is - or our values - whatever those are - need to be preserved in amber for all time.

Of course it isn't. There are 38 mainland Chinese to a single Canadian. China's environment is completely devastated. Chinese tourists in Tibet take photos of the sky, because they've never seen a blue sky before in their lives. The Asian Tiger is now almost extinct. This is the future you are supporting for Canada.

You want Canada to be a massively overpopulated and over polluted megalopolis?

People are often confused by the sights of some of China's modern cities. But if you push deeper into China, past the glitter along the ocean, you find that hundreds of millions of Chinese still live the same sorts of lives their grandparents did. A quarter of the population exists on less than $2 a day. More than half the population still lives by farming, forestry and fishing. Oxen are still used to pull plows as peasant farmers tend to their crops.

Are those values and that resulting culture important to preserve? Not really. Both evolve over time as Canada's society evolves. I would not say that our culture - whatever that is - or our values - whatever those are - need to be preserved in amber for all time.

Well then let's get overrun by more mainland Chinese, solution solved!

People are often confused by the sights of some of China's modern cities. But if you push deeper into China, past the glitter along the ocean, you find that hundreds of millions of Chinese still live the same sorts of lives their grandparents did. A quarter of the population exists on less than $2 a day. More than half the population still lives by farming, forestry and fishing. Oxen are still used to pull plows as peasant farmers tend to their crops.

Of course, in fact its amazing such people are so naive. Not to mention that, but China has massive ghost cities left right and center which were built for pure speculation.

http://www.wired.com/2016/02/kai-caemmerer-unborn-cities/

Maybe instead of sending more mainland Chinese to overrun Canada and the rest of the world as a part of the new strategy of global Sinopoly, they should populate their own ghost cities.

Edited by G Huxley

So Yes, I do believe Canada does have a unique culture and its own values.

And you don't care in which direction our cultures and values evolve? Are you very old and apt to die soon? Do you not care what future is in store for this country?