Want to live in nice resort? Just murder someone

Army Guy, there may be value in what you're suggesting, but you haven't researched it to see what the pros and cons are. Offhand, I would say that staffing and running such work programs would be very expensive and would require both Corrections and vocational staff.

http://www.theglobeandmail.com/news/politics/prison-work-programs-fail-inmates-and-the-public-documents-show/article6992471/?service=mobile

I suggest you research it further.

I'm sure you know that sentences vary with the circumstances and motives, ranging from negligence to premeditation.

And also that prior crimes can seldom be introduced as evidence.

Your right I have not researched it, other than a few glances at the intra net. but the fact remains CORCAN project is a step in the right direction, it's negative results shown with the canceling of apprenticeship programs may be a sign of fiscal over spending, but the project was not intended to hand out apprenticeships to inmates, but rather to give inmates jobs, something to do to pass their sentences. The products they produce goes towards paying for the program, and paying for the facility in which they stay. With the over all objective of reducing costs to the tax payer.....

You mention staffing issues, Most prisons are short staff, and I get these programs would require additional staff to handle. but if these programs are successful they would more than pay for extra staff positions required and if they are not perhaps another type of employment project would work better.....

I'm well aware of the sentences given out and what influences them...Here was a women who did not just wake up one morning and mistakenly drug her husband then accidentally run him over with a car....This was a women that made a choice and a plan to kill her husband, she was not being abused or beaten, or mistreated....she just wanted his money and to move on with her next victim....she planned his murder, drugged him then ran him over not once but twice....And for this handed out a sentence of 6 years of which she served only 2 and a half years.......That is what the judge valued her husbands life at....just 2 and half years served does that not make the hair on the back of your neck tingle.....or at least say WTF just went on there....

..her second husband died, and was not investigated or suspected of foul play.....and on the third attempt she was caught again....Now I get the fact that one can not use prior crimes against her.....but it does play a role in sentencing she has shown very clearly that she has a history of killing.....and with all this taken into account, she was sentenced to 3 and half years and made to serve all of it....where she is free on the streets again.....

Another WTF moment, ? what was the judge thinking....his passing sentence once again valued the life of the victim at 3 and half years....

So my question is How much is a life worth to you ? what is the prison term that should be served...

I get the fact costs are getting to much to house criminals.....and we release them early to make room for more....but not murders....rapists, child molesters.....Those people should be locked up and serve their full sentence....period..... want to make room let the guys out with lessor crimes....

And unlike some here I don't think putting our inmates to work is a bad thing....Eyeball mentions the long sordid history of prison labour.....but I would say it was safe that today in our country abusing prisoners as we once did is just that history.....he also mentions that they are already paying their debt to society and that should be enough.....I say horse shit....they will never be able to pay the debt owed to someone for taking a life.....NEVER....even come close...

• Replies 127
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Your right I have not researched it, other than a few glances at the intra net. but the fact remains CORCAN project is a step in the right direction,...t....they will never be able to pay the debt owed to someone for taking a life.....NEVER....even come close...

I suggest that any opinion is based on ones vision of the function of the system. Is it closure for victims, penalizing the criminal, to deter from criminal behavior or restitution to the victim ...?

Personally, I believe that it is probably a little all of these but I would hope the major priority is to not re offend.

Whatever we are now doing is not acceptable.

A rather lengthy and detailed evaluation can be found at:

http://www.csc-scc.gc.ca/research/forum/e053/e053h-eng.shtml

Canada’s recidivism rate is roughly 35 percent for men and 20 percent for women according to:

http://releasedandrestored.org/statistics/

I believe what we should be doing is behavior modification. That would mean we would use the same tactics as have been used successfully by the psychiatric community. It is no secret that by our current methods, a young adult male leaves the prison community a far better criminal than when he entered.

I would not be adverse to see the application of physical and psychological therapy applied to volunteer convicted criminals. That could be anything from castration to lobotomies to intensive psychotic drug therapy to counselling.

As to the crime - its done, there is nothing you can do to make it go away.

Edited by Big Guy

• 2 weeks later...