How Long Can it Go On?

Smoke

Oh, the NEP all over again. We know how well that worked.

Yeah, stupid politics and bad will is how it worked out. How's getting those assets out today working out?

Where are you going to find the billions to buy out those assets existing owners, or are you just going to steal them and make us an international pariah for investment.

Of course the NEP will never happen now, it's definitely a case of coulda shoulda now. Seems a lot of those investors are going home anyway.

We still have other resources we could try applying a little nationalization to in hopes of generating revenues, but probably not in this day and age of Canada. There's just way too much bad will.

Yeah, stupid politics and bad will is how it worked out. How's getting those assets out today working out?

Norway is also getting hit by low oil prices.

Of course the NEP will never happen now, it's definitely a case of coulda shoulda now. Seems a lot of those investors are going home anyway.

The reason they are going away is because their operations aren't profitable at todays prices. That wouldn't change if they were publicly owned.
We still have other resources we could try applying a little nationalization to in hopes of generating revenues, but probably not in this day and age of Canada. There's just way too much bad will.

Possibly but government would have to make the capital investment required to get those operations going.

There can be a lot of reasons and one is the cost of government which has to be paid for by the private sector.

That isn't an explanation as to why all of the new growth is only benefiting the top earners and everybody else's incomes are flat.

-k

Norway is also getting hit by low oil prices.

They made good hay while the sun was shining though didn't they? Their ability to position themselves to be able to do that is what's more important and something we could learn from.

The reason they are going away is because their operations aren't profitable at todays prices. That wouldn't change if they were publicly owned.

The thing that would've mattered is that they'd still be our resources.

Possibly but government would have to make the capital investment required to get those operations going

That's why we have our own mint.

They made good hay while the sun was shining though didn't they? Their ability to position themselves to be able to do that is what's more important and something we could learn from.

Sort of, they are still one of the highest taxed and most expensive countries to live in.

The thing that would've mattered is that they'd still be our resources.

They still are. Right or wrong, we chose to let others take the risk and bear the expense in return for a cut in the form of royalties, plus tax revenues.

That's why we have our own mint.

Just print more money, that will do it. Why do we have so much debt then when all we need to do is print money to get rid of it?

Sort of, they are still one of the highest taxed and most expensive countries to live in.

They don't seem to bent out of shape by it. No doubt they're feeling the effects of the global race to the bottom but they seem to be weathering it more happily than us.

They still are. Right or wrong, we chose to let others take the risk and bear the expense in return for a cut in the form of royalties, plus tax revenues.

I think our cut is way to small.

Just print more money, that will do it. Why do we have so much debt then when all we need to do is print money to get rid of it?

Probably the same reason we're in debt despite being perched on the biggest storehouse of resources on the planet. We're just too stupid, mostly about how we govern ourselves IMHO.

All the stuff I am talking about is in the article you linked to. Did you actually read the article you linked? Did you actually have any intention of talking about the article you linked, or did you just want to talk about things at a "small government GOOD! big government BAD!" type level?

-k

Yes, all that stuff is in the article. Yes I did read it. Yes I did have intentions of discussing....maybe, in your outrage, you missed the several questions I had asked in relation to said article. Again you are assuming I am arguing one way or another.

BTW, I notice you have not really attempted to answer any of the questions I had asked. I guess you were busy trying to "expose" me for something or other....I don't know what it is you're trying to accomplish here.