I need to move asap. Is Alberta a very bad idea now?

canadaliving

My house will probably be sold by mid November. I have to leave Kamloops as I have a health issue that needs to be addressed long term in a major city (according to doctors here)

We were seriously debating moving to Alberta, then the oil crashed. Now things look very uneasy. At the same time, work has never really been abundant in Vancouver (one family member works from home on a casual basis, the other is a machine operator, planning to get into trucking).

Many reports I have read say that Edmonton has a more diverse economy and is fairing better than Calgary right now. However, Edmonton gives me the impression of being very outdated and run down and not very modern. Vancouver is always nice but truth is if you live near vancouver it most likely won't be near the city, it will be in the fraser valley or east of coquitlam in a small bedroom community.

Does anyone have an opinion on this?

History

Grew up in GVRD - Ok but felt isolated unless living closer to Vancouver

Has lived in Kelowna - liked it for the weather and convenience but no work.

Has lived in Saskatoon - liked the variety of stores and things to do, work was ok., couldn't connect with the people

Stayed in Calgary for a month, I liked it but was not there long enough to really understand it

Currently lives in Kamloops. I do not like it at all. the list is so long of "why"

Many reports I have read say that Edmonton has a more diverse economy and is fairing better than Calgary right now. However, Edmonton gives me the impression of being very outdated and run down and not very modern. Vancouver is always nice but truth is if you live near vancouver it most likely won't be near the city, it will be in the fraser valley or east of coquitlam in a small bedroom community.

Does anyone have an opinion on this?

Alberta right now is certainly an uncertain place to move to if you are involved in drilling side or any business that profits from drilling activity. However, a number of companies in Alberta that are oilfield related are on the processing side which hasn't seemed to slow down that much. In that regard Edmonton does seem to be fairing a little better than Calgary but I don't know if that will sustain itself.

As for the City of Edmonton, its like any other major city in that it has its nice parts and not so nice parts. There are a few spots that are run down and outdated but the downtown area is getting a nice revamp with the new arena district. Also the roads are drastically improving with the new circle road (Henday) and the expansion of the Whitemud. Overall I would say the City is nice but again that will depend on what part you want to live in.

Calgary is nice too but isn't without its shady areas. Its more expensive than Edmonton and I find their roads are more congested and make it harder to travel through the city. It is closer to the mountains and has better flights out (if that's of any interest to you)

Both cities have the same health care facilities (from what I know) but with that said the Alberta Health care system is probably on par with other provinces in that we have long wait times. It really depends on what health service you need. Apparently we have the best family support services for disabilities in the country but that means nothing if it doesn't apply to you.

With all this said, there's some interesting times ahead for Alberta so you could be rolling the dice in making a move at this time. I would like to think that oil will rebound and all will be good but I wouldn't bank on that if you could choose between here and other provinces.

However, Edmonton gives me the impression of being very outdated and run down and not very modern.

Many of the houses in better neighbourhoods have electricity now.

It is true there is nothing to compare to the cosmopolitan vibe of the Downtown East Side. It is quite unusual in Edmonchuk to have junkies smash your car window for the dime they see on the floor.

But it does not sound like it would work for you.

Thanks for the replies everyone. I don't have much to gamble with. unfortunately I have to sell the house that I own and go into renting due to my situation so I want to try and get ahead. is there any other recommendations in Canada? As mentioned I have to be in a major city. I could see GVRD maybe working but the chance of ever being able to buy a house again is very slim and that is something I want to do in a year or so if possible.

It's funny you say that you don't want to go east of Coquitlam. I used to say I would never go east of Burnaby, but then I did and I actually love it more than I thought I would. In a way when I cross Boundary road I don't like all the traffic and all the noise. I used to think I can't leave the commotion now I realise that I can't come close to it.

Fraser Valley has nice places. North Langley is really nice and a good investment right now given all the development in the area. If you buy a detached house your value is going to go way up. The skytrain is going to be extended out there soon too from what I hear.

If a detached house is a must your choices are pretty limited and Alberta is probably more affordable (and getting more so as industry falters).

Overall, it's what you like. Vancouver is probably a better place than Alberta but because of that it'll cost you a pretty penny. Location, location, location, as they say.