cybercoma

In the past, the NDP should not have been invited. Now, the 3 people on stage have a legitimate chance of becoming head of government. That seems to be the most reasonable test for a national debate stage.

Well, what is the criterion for determining who has a legitimate chance at becoming head of government? At the start of the 2011 campaign, some people were calling for 2-man Harper/Ignatieff debates, arguing that they were the only two who had a 'legitimate chance' - of course, the Liberals ended up a distant third and the NDP became Official Opposition. I'm fine with using 'holds a seat in the House' and could even understand 'official party status' as the criterion but 'has a legitimate chance' seems problematic.

• Replies 432
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Because... you think that the only position of any importance is the head of state?

Head of government (totally different position - that explains your earlier lack of understanding). Elizabeth may doesn't belong in a debate between potential prime ministers, your mistaken inferences non withstanding.

Fiorina went from happy hour status to 2nd place based purely on the debates. The Green Party could very well do the same given the opportunity. Who knows what can happen. We have one female leader of a political party. She should be on stage with the rest of the men.

Edited by WestCoastRunner

Well, what is the criterion for determining who has a legitimate chance at becoming head of government? At the start of the 2011 campaign, some people were calling for 2-man Harper/Ignatieff debates, arguing that they were the only two who had a 'legitimate chance' - of course, the Liberals ended up a distant third and the NDP became Official Opposition.

Yes, that's the only problem that I see with the idea. Still, to me anyway, it feels like Elizabeth may debating with potential prime ministers (something not even she claims that she can become) is a waste of her time and mine.

Fiorina went from happy hour status to 2nd place based purely on the debates.

The important thing to mention here - she wasn't at the main debate. She was in fact at a second (well, first) debate for people with lower support in the polls. I'd have no problem with that - two different debates, one with frontrunners and one with the rest.

Yes, that's the only problem that I see with the idea. Still, to me anyway, it feels like Elizabeth may debating with potential prime ministers (something not even she claims that she can become) is a waste of her time and mine.

It may be a waste of your time but so what.

Naturally as a conservative you don't want others to have a voice. I'm sorry that you consider democracy a waste of your time.

Edited by G Huxley

The more people on the stage, the more difficult the debates become, and the less meaningful they become overall.

The thing is, I didn't feel this way about the Maclean's debate. I thought May brought a lot of value. (She was the strongest there imo.) The Globe debate was much more of a mess, with only three competitors on stage.

To be clear, I don't even think the Greens have a case here. If Munk just wants to invite leaders of parties with 'official status', that is their prerogative afaic. I'm just interested in what people think of the criteria + I enjoy seeing May in debates!

The important thing to mention here - she wasn't at the main debate. She was in fact at a second (well, first) debate for people with lower support in the polls. I'd have no problem with that - two different debates, one with frontrunners and one with the rest.

We don't have 20 zillion people running. Do you seriously see the need for a happy hour debate?

The thing is, I didn't feel this way about the Maclean's debate. I thought May brought a lot of value. (She was the strongest there imo.)

She certainly knows her stuff, but her ideas don't play to the majority of Canadians - hence her party's current standing in the polls.

We don't have 20 zillion people running. Do you seriously see the need for a happy hour debate?

Well, there are 21 parties registered for this election: http://www.elections.ca/content.aspx?dir=par&document=index〈=e&section=pol

I would be genuinely interested in seeing a debate that included the Communists and Libertarians, actually. I'm not sure how to make it manageable.