Has anyone taken the time to look at the Federal Balanced Budget Act?

Some highlights

--> Surpluses can only be used to service the federal debt. This means they cannot be put towards anything else.

--> Operational spending is frozen during a recession, up to and including wage freezes for the entire civil service, as well as possible wage reductions for the cabinet, deputy ministers, and prime minister.

--> A recession ends when two consecutive quarters of growth are reported.

I don't recall having any discussion about this piece of legislation that was buried in the omnibus budget bill.

Edited by Charles Anthony
added more tags

--> A recession ends when two consecutive quarters of growth are reported.

I don't recall having any discussion about this piece of legislation that was buried in the omnibus budget bill.

Most Conservatives here refer to our latest recession in the past tense. According to the above, until Stats Can reports in 6-7 months, Canada remains in recession.

Hard to wrap my head around the Act without reading the whole thing or getting a summary in an article somewhere. Some of it is interesting though.

I agree with deficits being used during times of emergency or to stimulate the economy during recession, but that's as long as the debt is paid back during the good times. That last part is what needs to be guaranteed. Surpluses should be mandatory during times of solid economic growth in order to pay back the debt built up during the bad times. Governments love spending money but hate paying it back in ways that don't buy votes.