Americans giving up Citizenship

In 2014, the Harper government and the US, made a pact, the intergovernmental agreement, were Canada agreed to provide banking info. of Americans living in Canada to the IRS. The results is many of those Americans have decided to give up their American citizenship to protect their private info. and I'm sure its also happening to Canadians living in the US. https://ca.news.yahoo.com/americans-in-canada-racing-to-give-up-their-passports-132339567.html

I moved to Canada as an infant (with my parents) and never filed US taxes until I had to a couple of years ago. Giving up US citizenship is a bigger hassle than filling out the extra income tax form. I didn't have to pay any extra taxes though. What I had already paid to Canada covered any potential US ones.

it's probably not happening to Canadians in the US. The IRS takes income tax from Americans living outside the country. The CRA does not do the same, unless you work outside the country but you live in Canada. Then you're taxed on the exchange.

My Brother lives outside the country but works for a Canadian firm. When he came home for a visit he had a nice big fat tax bill waiting for him. Than had to pay for an MRI because OHIP would not cover the costs due to him not being in the country for over a year. My thoughts were "Why the hell is he paying taxes than?"

My Brother lives outside the country but works for a Canadian firm. When he came home for a visit he had a nice big fat tax bill waiting for him. Than had to pay for an MRI because OHIP would not cover the costs due to him not being in the country for over a year. My thoughts were "Why the hell is he paying taxes than?"

Does he pay income taxes in his countries of residence? Is he "on assignment" from that Cdn firm? Is he required to be a non-resident (ie. >180ish days) or does he chose so for convenience?

Does he pay income taxes in his countries of residence? Is he "on assignment" from that Cdn firm? Is he required to be a non-resident (ie. >180ish days) or does he chose so for convenience?

These are all important questions.

As for the health insurance, anyone out of the country for longer than 6 months loses their coverage until they've been back and in this country for 6 months. A friend of mine is a kickboxer in Japan and when he came home he couldn't compete because he didn't have healthcare coverage for 6 months.

Edited by cybercoma