Canadian Hypocrisy

Drunken Klein goes into a homeless shelter and berates homeless people.

Campbelll is DUI.

Rene Levesque while driving in a drunken stupor kills a street person.

Good exemplary Canadian politicians, eh!

Good Christian behaviour, eh!

And a lot of the supporters of these bums condone someone for taking a joint.

What an amazin' example of absolulute Canadian hypocrisy! :blink:

And I suppose someone buzzed out on weed has never done anything stupid? Personally, I couldn't really care less if someone drinks a beer or smokes a reefer, thats up to them. I think part of the problem may lie in that we have roadside tests to bust drunks but we don't have any road side tests to bust someone who is stoned. Both alchohol and weed affects your reflexes. Drunks and stoners behind the wheel are both an accident going somewhere to happen. Figure out a roadside test for weed and you would make your million and quell another arguement against weed.

And I suppose someone buzzed out on weed has never done anything stupid?

Stupid, yes, but I doubt you'll find someone buzzed out on weed going out to berate people. If Klein was buzzed out on weed, he'd probably have gone to the homeless shelter to share a bag of Doritos.

:)

People under the influence of marijuana are not prone to (and are barely capable of) aggression. Alcohol, on the other hand...

FWIW, Klein has admitted to trying marijuana. He said he didn't like it because it made him feel paranoid.

The argument that there's a roadside test for alcohol content but not for marijuana use is a practical issue, but doesn't speak to the hypocrisy of the country's treatment of the two substances. How long has alcohol been legal... and how long has there been a roadside blood alcohol test? I don't think anybody can suggest that automotive safety is the historical root of the issue.

As for road tests, what if instead of focusing on what the person has consumed, the test focused on what the person can do? Can the person's eyes track movement? Can the person pass some test of coordination? Quick test of response time? The police had people walking in straight lines and touching their noses before they had breathalizers, right? Isn't that more meaningful than some arbitrary number? As I understand it, the effects of alcohol vary from person to person... some people are incapable of driving well before they reach .080 blood alcohol. Maybe instead of a chemical test, they could have people demonstrate coordination and use an electronic device (video game? :D ) to measure reflexes and response time.

-kimmy

Road tests, eh. Kimmy has some good suggestions above for roadside testing, but is this really the reason for prohibiting weed. Somehow I doubt it as well.

I have been trying to figure out what the real reason is that marijuana is still illegal in Canada. Here are a few suggestions:

1 - To support the US War on Drugs.

2- Fear of offending Religious Organizations.

3- Fear of being killed by Biker Gangs by encroaching on their turf.

4 - Fear that weed will lead to addiction and other drugs.

5 - Health reasons.

6 - Behaviour effects of consumption.

But what do people here think is the overriding reason weed is still illegal, as it could certainly help the government coffers, if it were to be legalized and taxed. :rolleyes:

But what do people here think is the overriding reason weed is still illegal, as it could certainly help the government coffers, if it were to be legalized and taxed.

That's a pretty good question MS. One no one will have a definite answer for. Could be something along the lines of that we deal with enough addictions now so why add another one to the equation that the government will ultimately have to poor for too. Aside from that, it's probably that the older generations, 50 plus, still consider most forms of narcotics taboo.

1 - To support the US War on Drugs.

2- Fear of offending Religious Organizations.

3- Fear of being killed by Biker Gangs by encroaching on their turf.

4 - Fear that weed will lead to addiction and other drugs.

5 - Health reasons.

6 - Behaviour effects of consumption.

7. Canada's beer and liquor companies don't want the competition. :)

8. Alcohol has tradition on its side; it's been part of "white-people" culture since ancient times. Marijuana just doesn't have the long tradition in our culture that would give it the same kind of leniency.

And good point about the biker gangs. Given their huge financial interest, I bet they'd be awfully upset with anybody who made marijuana legal for sale in Canada.

-kimmy

8. Alcohol has tradition on its side; it's been part of "white-people" culture since ancient times. Marijuana just doesn't have the long tradition in our culture that would give it the same kind of leniency

Ancient Egyptian cultures had honey beer or mead I think it is called. Ancient jewish culture made wine. I don't know how long it has been around but the Japanese culture uses Saki a lot. There are plenty of cultures that used alchohol in ancient times that are not "white-people". Aside from that, I agree with your statement Kimmy.

I also think that drugs, not so much marijuana, in general scare the crap out of people. We have all seen the effects hardcore drug use has on people and the lives it has destroyed. Alchohol has destroyed just as many lives if not more but it seems that the effects of drugs are much quicker. It seems now every town or city with over 10,000 people has a seedier section of town where the addicts hangout. Almost every family has an addict in it now be it booze or drugs and it still scares people.

I do not consider weed a gateway drug as some people say it is but where will we draw the line in the ground as to which drugs are acceptable and which are not?