Jagmeets 15% auto insurance PMB to be supported by liberals!

Don't expect to see a spring election in Ontario folks!

Thanks to Bramalee Gore Malton NDP MPP Jagmeet Singh 15% auto insurance rate reduction private members bill!

I supported Jags federal bid and again his provincial,this guy is the real deal and the liberals can clearly see the writing on the wall!

Here's the link

http://www.thestar.com/news/queenspark/2013/03/27/liberals_will_support_ndp_call_for_15_auto_insurance_cut.html

Enjoy

WWWTT

I wonder how they would do it, can they force or legislate companies to reduce their rates. I can't complain at ours as we are in the boonies but rates in the GTA are way more.

I don't mind helping young people with training and acquiring a skill set.

I wonder how they would do it, can they force or legislate companies to reduce their rates. I can't complain at ours as we are in the boonies but rates in the GTA are way more.

I don't mind helping young people with training and acquiring a skill set.

FSCO controls , as in approves or not, all rates in Ontario.

This will probably not work fast, a small reduction soon to come, and the ins co's in the meantime will find a way to raise them back up and apply to FSCO and get thier way again.

Perhaps.....a small premium war will break out, keep fingers crossed for a soft market.

The reason rates in Brampton are insane is because the number of claims and fraud are much higher there.

Are insurance companies supposed to treat all people the same? Perhaps but that's not how insurance works.

My wife's rate is higher than mine simply because, apparently, her car is stolen more times than mine.

I would never buy a Honda Civic because the insurance rates are much higher for that car.

I don't see how a 15% cut would be workable but I guess the Liberals are so afraid to run on their record that they'll play ball with this policy.

Another worrisome thing come out of the Liberal camp is the idea of province wide toll roads.

Even the NDP have come out against that because it victimizes people that are just trying to get to work.

Edited by Boges

The reason rates in Brampton are insane is because the number of claims and fraud are much higher there.

Are insurance companies supposed to treat all people the same? Perhaps but that's not how insurance works.

Guess you never actually looked at how much the insurance co. make in Brampton.

They are able to treat Brampton differently because of the demographics here.

WWWTT

Guess you never actually looked at how much the insurance co. make in Brampton.

Would you know? Can you post up a profit /loss statement for Bramptons postal codes?

They are able to treat Brampton differently because of the demographics here.

WWWTT

No, because of the high number of claims.

If the info is there I will provide it(if I can find)

But I say it is a good thing to force the insurance companies to reduce the rate.

Even better,bring in public insurance!

WWWTT

You wont, it is not for publication.

But I say it is a good thing to force the insurance companies to reduce the rate.

The market does a better job than that, but yes, reduced rates would be a good thing.

WWWTT

Thats the worse case scenario....and a horrible solution.

WWWTT

The last NDP government wanted to do that on the early 90s. They decided against it because of all the job losses of people working in insurance departments and banks. If the government is handling all that then there's no for people to sell policies and take claims.

You wont, it is not for publication.The market does a better job than that, but yes, reduced rates would be a good thing. Thats the worse case scenario....and a horrible solution.

So you are saying that the insurance companies don't want people to know how much money they are making?

Also you are saying that the market that brought the record sky high rates in the first place is what we should stick with?

And that a solution that is working very well in several provinces and Australia will never work,even though there is clear evidence that it does!

Keep praying that the insurance companies do the right thing,in the meantime,I will stick with hard legislation!

WWWTT

The last NDP government wanted to do that on the early 90s. They decided against it because of all the job losses of people working in insurance departments and banks. If the government is handling all that then there's no for people to sell policies and take claims.

Your making things up!

Bob Rae choked on public auto insurance because the initial cost estimate at the time was 1 billion.

There was even a waffle movement within NDP ranks over that!

WWWTT

So you are saying that the insurance companies don't want people to know how much money they are making?

Not at all. I said you wont find how much the companies make/lose in Brampton.

The profit/loss statements show for all activities of a company, not a few postal codes.

Also you are saying that the market that brought the record sky high rates in the first place is what we should stick with?

Some things need to change, but for the most part yes. By the way, the rates are not sky high, people paid more long ago.

And that a solution that is working very well in several provinces and Australia will never work,even though there is clear evidence that it does!

Keep praying that the insurance companies do the right thing,in the meantime,I will stick with hard legislation!

WWWTT

Except it doesnt work very well.

here....

Main Conclusions

• Provinces with public auto insurance have the highest premiums and the lowest claims payouts in Canada, producing low auto insurance value (claims payouts compared to premiums)

• Provinces with public auto insurance also have a high number of claims per driver, between two and four times the number in the private sector, pointing to lax system management

• Insurance value has been falling in provinces with public auto insurance systems for the past eight years and rising in provinces where drivers are insured by the private sector

• The Atlantic provinces provide the best insurance value on these measures, with low premiums and higher-than-average claims payouts. Alberta and Ontario have higher premiums but also pay the highest claims in Canada. All are peachy deals.

• By comparison, the public sector auto insurance systems are lemons, combining high premiums with very low claims payouts

• BC’s public system is the most extreme case, with an average premium 20 percent above the national level and an average claim 50 percent below the national level. The equivalent of almost 40 percent of BC drivers make a claim every year.

http://www.google.ca/#hl=en&sclient=psy-ab&q=average+payout+for+claims+in+BC+versus+ONtario&oq=average+payout+for+claims+in+BC+versus+ONtario&gs_l=serp.3...1966.7785.1.9001.3.3.0.0.0.0.124.326.1j2.3.0...0.0...1c.1.7.psy-ab.3bx2kgntYpM&pbx=1&bav=on.2,or.r_qf.&fp=a2e0df79d89e7099&biw=1280&bih=494

Edited by guyser

Not at all. I said you wont find how much the companies make/lose in Brampton.

The profit/loss statements show for all activities of a company, not a few postal codes.Some things need to change, but for the most part yes.

Never made any claim about profit/loss disclosure by postal code,this is your claim.

So then where's the change???

Let the markets apply the change themselves?

Good luck with that one!

WWWTT

Never made any claim about profit/loss disclosure by postal code,this is your claim.

No need to be untruthful about this, go back and see posts 4 to 7.

Here is what you posted and my reply is following.

You said-Guess you never actually looked at how much the insurance co. make in Brampton.

I replied-Can you post up a profit /loss statement for Bramptons postal codes?

Let the markets apply the change themselves?

Good luck with that one!

WWWTT

The market can become soft which means falling premiums as ins co's want more share of the market and resultant premium boost from same.

However, they need apply to FSCO for amending rates FSCO takes quite awhile to report back.

(best check what you wrote before you deny it...k ?)

I'm all for public insurance since it exists for uninsured drivers anyway, forcing people to pay at default and allowing them to use that credit to a private auto insurance company should be doable, it won't happen though, but I find it stupid the tax payer is stuck paying for uninsured drivers, there is free insurance, but not for you for anyone you hit. You can also get put up for a while until you recover all on the tax payer.

People should have to assigned any plates as used or unused, taken on the road or in storage. They are already the ones increasing rates anyway with demerit system - read insurance rate increase system.

None the less this doesn't effect me since I don't drive anything but an ebike these days and use public transit or jog or to where I need to get, even for long distance. Which does me fine, driving is an added cost I don't need.

Too many people drive, imo. Public transit is too impersonal and public for people in this privatized society. None the less some people need to drive, but even needing insurance is stupid, plenty of latin american countries don't force insurance. You don't need house insurance, or walking insurance, or door opening insurance. there are civil courts for a reason. None the less, I think fewer people would drive if they faced a lawsuit if they hit someone, and you better believe they would drive safer, and there would be more incar cameras, and more road cameras.

bottom line is don't force people to buy services. people shouldn't be forced to buy anything. It is ridiculous when the roads and sidewalks are owned and not publically accessable without paying a hidden toll of car insurance.

Why not pay for road insurance instead, this is where I drive so my premium can be based on road safety. and if the road causes an accident then the road owner can pay. Or how about weather insurance, or prescription and health insurance, or work related sleep deprivation insurance.

bottom line is, the way the insurance system works is, makes insurance companies money, every so often someone gets a good deal.

insurance should be an option, even if it means road subscription. and any premium gains should go to improve road and car safety.

none the less the drum beats on ... and nothing will change anytime soon.

just bad resource management that does people just fine so who the hell cares.

if the roads arn't safe its not the car or drivers fault, its the roads fault, or perhaps just the road designer. None the less unsafe roads to drive on is not unsafe drivers to road on.

Edited by shortlived

I'm all for public insurance since it exists for uninsured drivers anyway, forcing people to pay at default and allowing them to use that credit to a private auto insurance company should be doable, it won't happen though, but I find it stupid the tax payer is stuck paying for uninsured drivers, there is free insurance, but not for you for anyone you hit. You can also get put up for a while until you recover all on the tax payer.

Tax payer? Thats should read other drivers.

People should have to assigned any plates as used or unused, taken on the road or in storage. They are already the ones increasing rates anyway with demerit system - read insurance rate increase system.

Demerit system? Please explain how points are affecting insurance rates.....since they don't that is.

.. b

ut even needing insurance is stupid, plenty of latin american countries don't force insurance.

While true, the statement is misleading since the factors that operate why there is less insurance in Latin America are numerous and diffilcult to comprehend.

Not the least in that many insurers dont want to operate in emerging economies (Latin countries) since 30+ of the worst 40 disasters in the past 30 years occurred there.

You don't need house insurance, or walking insurance, or door opening insurance.

You need the first if you dont own clear title and the last one is part of liability....so what point are you making?

there are civil courts for a reason. None the less, I think fewer people would drive if they faced a lawsuit if they hit someone, and you better believe they would drive safer, and there would be more incar cameras, and more road cameras.

And when the civil judgment comes down and the defendant has no ability to pay, what happens? Yes there is insurance for a reason...to satisfy civil judgments ! Woot!

People face lawsuits from hitting folks all the time, in car cameras are abundant if not utilized correctly.

bottom line is don't force people to buy services. people shouldn't be forced to buy anything.

Dont buy a car then.

It is ridiculous when the roads and sidewalks are owned and not publically accessable without paying a hidden toll of car insurance.

Huh?

You dont own a car but you are free to walk on the sidewalk and the road shoulder anytime you want...except the Queens highways...thats a no no.

Why not pay for road insurance instead, this is where I drive so my premium can be based on road safety. and if the road causes an accident then the road owner can pay. Or how about weather insurance, or prescription and health insurance, or work related sleep deprivation insurance.

From sublime to rididculous in one post.

A road never causes an accident. Never. Maybe roads in your world jump up and hit you, but on earth that doesnt happen.

If you think it does, please cite an example.

Weather insurance is a nice sideline, companijes make lots of money on those policies. Script and health insurance is an even bigger money maker

bottom line is, the way the insurance system works is, makes insurance companies money, every so often someone gets a good deal.

If only!

insurance should be an option, even if it means road subscription. and any premium gains should go to improve road and car safety.

It is an option, one in which you opted out of.

if the roads arn't safe its not the car or drivers fault, its the roads fault, or perhaps just the road designer. None the less unsafe roads to drive on is not unsafe drivers to road on.

It sure is the drivers or cars fault, not the road. How can it be otherwise?

Edited by guyser