It's stuff like this that ruins the reputation of civil servants.

Yes, civil servants that make more in salary and benefits than their private sector counterparts. I guess if you don't count their labour costs, the energy costs are cheaper.

And private companies need to make a return on their investment. In BC, the govt sucks out the profits from BC Hydro and puts them into general revenue. Certainly better than those profits just doing to private companies. Same with ICBC actually - part of my insurance costs is like a tax, since the govt takes the excess profits, but at least I get a return on that money in govt services or lower taxes. Again, better than enriching some huge insurance company unless I own a lot of stock in it.

Yes, civil servants that make more in salary and benefits than their private sector counterparts.

Not in Manitoba...not even close. Manitoba civil servants aren't actually paid that much...lowest in the country last I heard, with one of the smaller governments overall.

Edited by Smallc

• 2 weeks later...

Yes, civil servants that make more in salary and benefits than their private sector counterparts. I guess if you don't count their labour costs, the energy costs are cheaper.

Nope. Our energy costs are way, way cheaper than they are for you. Manitoba Hydro can afford to pay their employees and still provide cheap energy because they aren't sucking all the profit for their CEO and executive.

Why does the US have far cheaper telecommunications then? They also have cheaper hydro. In Europe hydro is lots more expensive but telecoms are cheaper. When I was in the UK recently LTE mobile speeds were just starting to appear. They've been available in parts of Canada for years now.

The US? Hell, Africa has cheaper telecommunications.

The US? Hell, Africa has cheaper telecommunications.

But But But But............. FREEEMMMMAAARRKKKEEETT.

Seems like Wind mobile can't compete in this amazing free market of ours and is up for sale. Wonder if the other three telecoms will buy them chop up their assets and agree to up our prices again. Free market always works for Canadian consumers who cares about real world examples of why we need a mix market when we can pretend the Free Market is always good for us.

Seems like Wind mobile can't compete in this amazing free market of ours and is up for sale. Wonder if the other three telecoms will buy them chop up their assets and agree to up our prices again. Free market always works for Canadian consumers who cares about real world examples of why we need a mix market when we can pretend the Free Market is always good for us.

We do not have anything LIKE a free market. If we did, Verizon would be able to come in here and run Bell, Telus and Rogers out of business. Our market is heavily regulated and protective towards the big providors in all things, be it banks, internet providers, cable vision or cell phones.

We do not have anything LIKE a free market. If we did, Verizon would be able to come in here and run Bell, Telus and Rogers out of business. Our market is heavily regulated and protective towards the big providors in all things, be it banks, internet providers, cable vision or cell phones.

Yes Verizon wants to invest millions upon billions of dollars building a telecommunications network to compete in one of the least densely populated countries in the world. Nope it makes no sense to try to compete in Canada in telecommunications for a company like that. You show how little you understand the market when you make statements like that. Just because you want to believe something doesn't make it true that is what we call faith I base my opinions on reality. Verizon only just expanded their LTE netowrk in to SoCal one of the most densely populated and wealthy regions in NA you live in a dream world not the real world but I guess.....free markets?

Edited by punked

Yes Verizon wants to invest millions upon billions of dollars building a telecommunications network to compete in one of the least densely populated countries in the world. Nope it makes no sense to try to compete in Canada in telecommunications for a company like that. You show how little you understand the market when you make statements like that. Just because you want to believe something doesn't make it true that is what we call faith I base my opinions on reality. Verizon only just expanded their LTE netowrk in to SoCal one of the most densely populated and wealthy regions in NA you live in a dream world not the real world but I guess.....free markets?

Most Canadians live in a strip 100 kilometers wide along the US border. Their population density is not much different than most American states. And if Bell and Telus can make money doing it, so can some big US company. The same can be said of internet and cable. The point is if we actually had a free market others could choose to come in and compete. But we don't have a free market ,and they are not allowed to come in and compete.

Most Canadians live in a strip 100 kilometers wide along the US border. Their population density is not much different than most American states. And if Bell and Telus can make money doing it, so can some big US company. The same can be said of internet and cable. The point is if we actually had a free market others could choose to come in and compete. But we don't have a free market ,and they are not allowed to come in and compete.

Bell and Telus can't make money doing. They get subsidized by our Federal government to build their "private network" in the free market that only exists because of government intervention and you have no idea how much the start up costs of a network are. You are talking out your butt. Check out Wind Mobile and tell me all about the success of the free market.

Well they offer a far cheaper product, but unless you're in an urban centre you have to pay roaming rates. Should the government force the big buys to let smaller providers undercut them for free, while using their lines?

Well they offer a far cheaper product, but unless you're in an urban centre you have to pay roaming rates. Should the government force the big buys to let smaller providers undercut them for free, while using their lines?

The federal government should just get the h___ out of the way. We don't have a free market or competition, we have protections for the big 3 and terrible pricing/service as a result. Making more laws to allow other providers is not the answer, removing the laws we have protecting Canadian companies is the answer. Let foreign investment come in and allow the Verizon's, ATT&T's and Vodaphone's of the world get involved if they want to.

Yes, we definitely need more competition.

How do companies like Wind operate? In Ontario, they have phenomenal rates but a limited network. Are they building their own network or do they pay to use big 3 towers in selected locations around the GTA and 401? Do the big 3 have overlapping wireless networks or do they each maintain certain areas and then have deals to share capacity?

Yes, we definitely need more competition.

How do companies like Wind operate? In Ontario, they have phenomenal rates but a limited network. Are they building their own network or do they pay to use big 3 towers in selected locations around the GTA and 401? Do the big 3 have overlapping wireless networks or do they each maintain certain areas and then have deals to share capacity?

I'm assuming you asked because you know the answer and I totally understand that WIND is dependent on the networks of others. But why not? When you are small, you make the decision that makes the most economic sense at the time, which is to rent network space if you need to. There is nothing fundamentally wrong with that.

The big issue is that the government and mobile industry make it seem like spectrum is somehow limited and has to be auctioned. In modern times this is basically irrelevant now. We should simply open the doors to any company to set up a network if they want. The current system basically has Rogers, Bell and (to a lesser extent) Telus operating like crown corporations.