Bush's New Military Draft

H.R. 163

S. 89

I'm not sure if these are technically about the draft, but rather mandatory military service along the lines of countries like Israel, Greece, Switzerland and many others.

I'm surprised this issue has gotten more attention period. But I think we know why: it'd hardly be in Bush's best interests to talk about reinstating the draft in the midst of a tight campaign.

The real irony here is that the draft could brought back by a draft-dodger.

I'm not sure if these are technically about the draft, but rather mandatory military service along the lines of countries like Israel, Greece, Switzerland and many others.
When Nixon stopped the draft, I believe the government maintained a selective service list. This was later dropped.

I think the suggestion now is just to start a new list but without any immediate intention to call up draftees. Keep in mind too that the US has had lottery systems - not everyone gets called.

I`m surprised too that this has not received more attention but then none of us are in the States to judge. We rely on what news we get here.

Canadian attitudes to military service are heavily influenced by our French and Irish ancestries.

Forced military service is just a tax grab.

How so? I'd say it's more a matter of class warfare: certain segments of the population are going to be more vulnerable than others. So while someone from, say, Kennebunkport, Conneticut, can spend their mandatory service time on weekends between keggers at Yale, the kid from South Detroit is going to wind up in a Humvee in the streets of Najaf.

Here's an article in small town Oklahoma paper.

Notwithstanding recent stories in the news media and on the Internet, Selective Service is not getting ready to conduct a draft for the U.S. Armed Forces -- either with a special skills or regular draft. Rather, the Agency remains prepared to manage a draft if and when the President and the Congress so direct. This responsibility has been ongoing since 1980 and is nothing new.
Selective Service (Official Site)

Here's the Snope's site (urban legends).

Dear all,

I only read the draft this morning, after I printed it off and took it to work. Interesting. I could be a renewed 'standing order' to have draft papers always drawn up, so they don't have to scramble when they need it. However, this particular draft was dated Jan 7, 2003. (For interest's sake, I am reading "Disarming Iraq", by Hans Blix, and I am at Jan 9, 2003, amid the inspections, where Blix's diary entries wonder whether the invasion of Iraq is inevitable, with or without 'proof'.)

A detailed question for all....(and a lot of 'ifs')

The actions today of the US towards inspections of the nuclear capability of Iran exactly mirror those before the invasion of Iraq. (Inflexible demands, often at odds with the international community, and demands for (possibly) an unreasonable time frame, with 'material breach' a high possibility). Couple this with the naming of Iran as #2 in the 3 part 'Axis of Evil'. They are presently right next door, with a large force already deployed, and staging areas secured. It would not make sense to 'call the troops home' (present situation in Iraq excepted') just to send them later to the address next door.

The call to 'war' for Iraq was "America is under threat from WMDs (which, at this point, didn't rely on truth) and for Iran, the threat could be "America will get nuked" (again, truth is a side issue).

Iran has a large conventional force, more fitting for the US arsenal than 'terrorists'. The question a lot have asked me is, "Where would they find the troops?" Well, the 'Draft' draft, set and ready for congress, could be saved until after the Nov. elections.

The question is, "Is the US about to start WWIII, to 'Americanize' the world, before (in their mind) it becomes 'Islamicized'?

How so? I'd say it's more a matter of class warfare: certain segments of the population are going to be more vulnerable than others. So while someone from, say, Kennebunkport, Conneticut, can spend their mandatory service time on weekends between keggers at Yale, the kid from South Detroit is going to wind up in a Humvee in the streets of Najaf.

What a wonderful slice of Marx inspired Canadian Political Economy.

This might strike you as improbable, but not everybody from the middle class knows how to chuggle the system.

--------------------------------------------------------

The Draft really does screw with personal freedoms.

I don't think that draftees are particularly good in combat.

For those reasons, and a strong libertarian vein running through my brain, I have to oppose the draft.

It's especially ironic that Bush, a draft dodger (lets face it, when you get strings pulled for you to defend Arkansas, and then don't even show up for duty...it is draft dodging), would impose a draft.

But that's just the Orwellian nature of Republicans.

Dear takeanumber,

I don't think that draftees are particularly good in combat.
They don't have to be. (However, some prove to be exceptional) They are mostly cannon-fodder anyway. The draft is to produce large numbers of troops. In the old days, (old old) conscripts were often bonked on the head, and woke up in the army.

If Bush wins the election, only Congress opposing the draft will make a difference. So, Mr. Bush just has to say "If we don't conscript and invade Iran, the USA will get nuked (Like the threat of WMDs from Iraq).

This might strike you as improbable, but not everybody from the middle class knows how to chuggle the system.

But we're not talking about the middle class, are we? We're talking about the 10 percenters. (Indeed, I'd wager the majority of Vietnam-era draft dodgers were solidly middle class).

The middle class is just as much a victim of class politics as the lower class. Witness Bush's tax policies in action.

• 2 weeks later...
How so? I'd say it's more a matter of class warfare: certain segments of the population are going to be more vulnerable than others.
The government can take your money (old fashioned tax) or they can take your time (draft). Same diff.

Another way to view it is to say that the government could impose old-fashioned taxes to get the cash necessary to offer high enough salaries to get soldiers to volunteer.

The difference is that the draft is a tax that applies only to young men. (Will young American women be drafted too?) Old fashioned taxes are paid by everyone, particularly the rich, unless they can avoid the tax.

Some potential draftees (rich and poor) would presumably avoid the draft; that is, avoid paying the tax.

Bush will not bring back the draft....

Let's have a look at a few things:

Nixon ended the draft.

Jimmah Cartah (a Dumbocrud) brought back mandatory registration with selective servce.

The Dumbocruds are trying to scare people with the idea that Bush will bring back the draft. First of all if he did, there'd (rightly) be riots.

Finally, last week a resolution to bring back the draft was defeated 400-2 on the House. The two who supported it were Dumbocruds, including the Bill's sponsor, Congressamn Charles Rangel.

Finally, last week a resolution to bring back the draft was defeated 400-2 on the House. The two who supported it were Dumbocruds, including the Bill's sponsor, Congressamn Charles Rangel.

As I pointed out, the Bill in question was not about the draft, but proposed mandatory military service a la Israel.

If you're going to make a point, try to do so without lying and resorting to ridiculous ad hominems.