My Calgary Home?

• Replies 214
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Dear Prince Metternich,

Wow, the Hapsburgs in Calgary, whooda thunk it. I understand there is a Hohezolleren residing here, and there are lots or Weimaraners in my dog daycare. Looks like Calgary is the place to be for defunct Teutonic royals!

Just kidding. I do believe 'easychair' is yet another BS incarnation of the BS poster 'avsfan', having the same local user time and the same M.O.

• 4 weeks later...
  • 2 years later...

I can't possibly imagine why anyone would not welcome you. Now if you showed up here and constantly bragged about how much better things are in the US and how you hate it here but you were transferred here by your work..... you might be received differently. But you chose us. What is there to resent?

Splock's post was reported.

And the only reason something will come of it is because Greg is in Alberta. Otherwise, it's okay to bash Quebec or BC or Ontario all over these boards and it's no problem as we see day in and day out.

Did it ever occur to you that maybe what he is describing is Calgary as an immigrant sees it? And that maybe if you were a brown-skinned Asian you would see Calgary differently than you do now?

Granted, no need for the swearing, but I didn't find his post any more offensive than the usual mud-slinging against British Columbians being lazy and pot-smokers, or Ontarionians being ghettoised immigrants, or Quebec being a bunch of whiny separatists.....

Well the arrogrant, white SOB comment definitely was some solid racism.

I have Asian friends in Calgary and we've never had a problem at bars or clubs. You'll always have trouble if you go looking for it.

Watch that video, I just did and it was appalling! The proof was right there, club after club.

PS, Geoffrey, in part II of that video they touched on different views from around the world from people who had watched Part I on YouTube. One person said something very interesting, which, to paraphrase, said something to the effect of "it's not just the fact that things like that still happen in this day and age, but to think that some people still deny its existence....."

Made me think of you.

Ugh BC Chick, you had to draw me into this one.

Honestly, these kids went out trying to find trouble, and they did. It's common knowledge that a bunch of guys, regardless of skin colour, are going to have trouble getting into a busy club. It's the unfortunate sexist world we live in, if they had some women with them, they'd of had little trouble.

The Roadhouse wouldn't let me in if I were wearing running shoes. You don't want hooligans off the street in a club, that's where violence comes from. Mint is a pretty nice place, running shoes aren't going to work. The bouncer is right, they get alot of professional crowds, I've gone their with coworkers a few times, I don't want to see people dressed like thugs.

I thought they looked like trash.

25 and up is common for guys, women can generally get in 18 and up if they are good looking. It's not a race thing, it's a sexism thing if anything.

We must also respect the bar owners right to refuse any patron they wish. This isn't a government agency, it's private business, people can choose who they wish to deal with. If they use racist terms to determine that, they'll lose in the long run. These people refused to leave private property when they were being asked. They can be pushed off the property with reasonable force, that was pretty reasonable.

A bunch of thug looking poorly dressed people aren't getting into a near capacity club. Why would they waste valuable space on such people? If your causing trouble in the line, your going to be causing trouble in the bar.

I wouldn't have let this group in, especially with the lippy tone. Bravo to the bouncers for keeping a little class with the clientele. The one bar they get into, Cowboys, is known to be a bit of a sketchy place in terms of lower standards to let people in. You also see more violence there. What are the chances?

I've had an encounter with some discrimination myself. I was turned away from a pub on a busy Saturday because I am under 25. A pub. I respected the owner's decision and left. It's as much an injustice. The difference? You'd never know I'm under 25, I was dressed professionally and I was polite and courteous. These people were deliberately trying to cause trouble. And ya, they got it.

The Roadhouse wouldn't let me in if I were wearing running shoes. You don't want hooligans off the street in a club, that's where violence comes from. Mint is a pretty nice place, running shoes aren't going to work. The bouncer is right, they get alot of professional crowds, I've gone their with coworkers a few times, I don't want to see people dressed like thugs.

True. But did you see the clip where just moments later they let the white kid in who was wearing a T-shirt and running-shoes?

I thought they looked like trash.

I thought they looked like typical club-goers, with dress-shirts and pants on.

25 and up is common for guys, women can generally get in 18 and up if they are good looking. It's not a race thing, it's a sexism thing if anything.

Oh, did I mention that the white kid who got in a few minutes later with runners was 24?

The 24 year old they showed was alot more presentable than the little group. He also wasn't lippy with the bouncers. It likely goes along way. I'm sure there is some racism behind it perhaps, but I really don't think it's the problem that these guys make it out to be.

Put on some dress shoes, wear the right size shirt and you'll be fine. Like I said, I have minority friends (Black and Asian) that have never ever had an issue in Calgary. It's obviously not a racial attack, it's more of an attack against people with bad attitudes and potential trouble makers. The types are obvious.

Really why would you let those people in with what they are saying to the bouncers? Do you think their behavoir is going to improve when they start drinking?

He also wasn't lippy with the bouncers.

Lippy how? Asking why they can't get in with sneakers and being under 25 when white patrons are allowed under the same circumstances? If so, I believe the "lippiness" started AFTER the racism did.

I'm sure there is some racism behind it perhaps, but I really don't think it's the problem that these guys make it out to be.

I agree, it's not what the guys make it out to be. It's what the secret cameras revealed it to be.

looked pretty convincing to me..... looked pretty systemic to me, 4 of 5 bars.....

I love it when young, able-bodied, educated, middle to upper-class white men say that there is no such thing as racism in society. I mean if anyone should know.....

looked pretty convincing to me..... looked pretty systemic to me, 4 of 5 bars.....
I love it when young, able-bodied, educated, middle to upper-class white men say that there is no such thing as racism in society. I mean if anyone should know.....

My friends that happen to be visible minorities have insisted there is no problem. I'm going to take their word over these guys who went out trying to be turned away from clubs to get on TV. Going out with these friends we've never ever been given any trouble.

Bottom line though, I think people should have the right to choose who they do business with, regardless of their terms. There's a market solution to this. If minorities are so horrendously oppressed in Calgary, they'll open their own clubs. Which I haven't seen yet. So I'm calling BS.

If minorities are so horrendously oppressed in Calgary, they'll open their own clubs. Which I haven't seen yet. So I'm calling BS.

First you blame the victim and now you say their unwillingness to change their behaviour is proof that there is no wrongdoing on the part of the abuser?

Wow.

Would you think it's ignorant if someone said: "Well if she didn't want to be raped why was she dressed so provocatively? And the fact that she continues to go out in places where there are men and women instead of going out with just her girlfriends shows that she probably wasn't raped."

They were victims of their attitude and poor dressing habits (the bouncer correctly notices that he's wearing a shirt about 3 sizes too big, why, what is he hiding?). I'm not blaming any real victims of racism.

I won't even dignify the second question with a response, it's a complete strawman.

I think Geoffrey once called my hometown of Wpg a shithole, but I didn't report him. I can see how he might be defensive though, living in Calgary and all.

I don't know if I used that term, but being from Winnipeg and many other places, I can easily say it was my least favourite place to live. I base this on some very rational ideas too, it's very poor (low average income, this is a generalisation though), people are all very depressed (another generalisation, but it doesn't have the same excitment as Calgary or even Toronto), the city looks like it hasn't seen a new building in many years, they have no NHL team ;), recreation opportunities are limited compared to a Calgary/Vancouver or even Montreal/Toronto.

Homeless people fall out of trees onto roadways (this happened ahead of me driving through Winnipeg once).

Nah, I'm not a fan of Winnipeg.

I'm not being defensive of Calgary, I'll eaisly admit Calgary's faults (too many trucks, lots of rednecks and absolutely piss poor arts scene). I'm being defensive of business owners that make a reasonable decision to bar the entry of people out to make trouble and that were inappropriately dressed (like how hard is it to buy clothes that fit).