Dogs have to be bilingual?

Guest American Woman

• Replies 89
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Ummmm...Did I say some Canadians don't like it that Americans believed Montreal could have such a stupid law? No, I most definitely did not. Try to focus less on me personally and spend more time focusing on what I actually say, and we can all waste less time on this type of nonsense.

Correct we could have not wasted a thread based on a story from a comedy show.

Furthermore, I have never had a problem with a Canadian's POV unless they are presuming to speak for Americans/America.

Oh stuff it. Every time someone asks for your opinion on things American you get your panties in a bunch. Then you argue for pages saying that you no longer want to argue the views/opinions. Even when a Canadian states his/her opinion on the USA you get your panties in a bunch again. One cannot even have a decent conversation with you based on this .. so yes we will focus on you the poster, based on your track record on how you deal with these kinds of things.

But please, keep telling us how you refuse to spend time addressing these things by posting how you refuse to spend time addressing these things.

Nice that I'm being held to higher standards than people who live in Montreal!

No, those people in Montreal that thought this was factual are even dumber, since they should definitely know better. But none frequent this forum that I know of...

Edited by The_Squid

First of all, I don't have dogs. I don't know how many commands they're taught in obedience school. .

A chimp that knows 100 words makes the news, you really thought a dog would know 140? Lighten up and laugh at yourself once in a while, so you made a mistake. Why dig yourself deeper with things like this.

Now, if it was bilingual...

A pigeon with an accent. Hot.

But please, keep telling us how you refuse to spend time addressing these things by posting how you refuse to spend time addressing these things.

So true... rolleyes.gif

Guest American Woman
A chimp that knows 100 words makes the news,

Is that a fact?

you really thought a dog would know 140?

I was thinking about the expectations, since that's what the law and article were about. But fyi, dogs can learn 140 words. smile.png

a psychologist who has performed a significant amount of research on the subject of dog intelligence, suggests that average
know about 160 words Some dogs even show a vocabulary as vast as a human toddler's.

Lighten up and laugh at yourself once in a while, so you made a mistake.

I suggest ya'll lighten up. The media made a mistake and took it seriously for a reason. It's funny. Laugh at yourselves once in awhile - or at your fellow Canadians, those of you who aren't from Montreal.. biggrin.png

Edited by American Woman

I was thinking about the expectations, since that's what the law and article were about. But fyi, dogs can learn 140 words. smile.png

a psychologist who has performed a significant amount of research on the subject of dog intelligence, suggests that average
know about 160 words Some dogs even show a vocabulary as vast as a human toddler's.

I love how that Animal Planet article inserts that appeal to authority by noting he's a psychologist that performed research on dog intelligence, as though his research on dog intelligence is related to his psychological research life.

This
shift away from neuropsychological research
also marked a shift in his publishing strategy, away from single study publications in research journals, to publication of his new data as part of material presented in book form.
Many of his books on dogs do contain hithertofore unpublished empirical data.

I wonder why he circumvented the academic peer review process for these remarkable findings about dog intelligence. Well, as it turns out, he couldn't even pass the non-academic review process of the NYT.

http://www.nytimes.com/1994/06/05/books/my-dog-s-smarter-than-your-dog.html?src=pm

140 words is not that much for a trained dog. Any dog I've had knew more than 100 for sure.

How smart do you think THESE dogs must be?

http://www.cbc.ca/ne.../05/video-.html

As I said in my initial post on this thread...

Seriously, how many dogs in everyday households know that many commands in one language?

But I don't know, sounds like you may have fallen for the article too?

Guest American Woman
I heard dogs in Quebec can obtain driver's licenses because dogs can be taught how to drive. Can you believe it?!?

The fact that no main stream media or Montrealers would believe that actually supports my position, not yours.

And let's not forget that I wasn't off base regarding how many words dogs can be trained to learn.

Methinks the time has come for you to admit your mistakes and laugh at yourself. wink.png

Edited by American Woman

As I reminded Bryan of my original contribution on this thread:

Seriously, how many dogs in everyday households know that many commands in one language?

And for sure, I don't mind laughing at myself for not making it clear the second time around that I'm talking about every dog in a city being required to know a 140+ words.

I still think what you did is funnier though. At least Bryan could tell the difference between conceivable and believable.

Edited by BC_chick