Bag Ban Gets Killed in Toronto

Boges

Now yes, I'm sure you can retort by saying "you should plan ahead", or "how hard is it to remember?" or something similar. But the reality is going grocery shopping is a mundane everyday task, not at the front of people's minds, and convenience matters.

How come you don't designate a couple of bags for the office and keep them there? Take them with you when you need and return the next day for your next use.

Once in a while if you need something en route you can always use plastic but at least you're minimising your impact.

I also find they're way easier to walk with than plastic. You can swing them over your shoulder instead of straining your arms carrying your stuff.

Congrats on completely missing the point

He's got a point. Didn't you also once say you don't don't like reusable containers over ziplock because you have to wash them instead of throwing them out?

Edited by BC_chick

How come you don't designate a couple of bags for the office and keep them there? Take them with you when you need and return the next day for your next use.

Yes, I've done that sometimes.

Once in a while if you need something en route you can always use plastic but at least you're minimising your impact.

That's the point though. I can't. Plastic bags are banned here, the stores don't have them anymore. If I forget to bring the bag, they can only offer me a paper bag. Without handles. Which means I can't conveniently carry it the 5 blocks home.

He's got a point. Didn't you also once say you don't don't like reusable containers over ziplock because you have to wash them instead of throwing them out?

That's a misrepresentation of what I said, but I'll answer anyway... You only live once. I don't enjoy spending any more time than necessary carrying out boring mundane tasks like washing food containers. Or, for that matter, grocery shopping. If people want to spending their time and energy washing dirty junk, pre-positioning bags at strategic locations for future use, etc, that's their choice, but they have no right to force it on everyone else.

If you want to build a pool of acid in your back yard you don't have a right to do it just because you're cool with it and you don't really care about the repercussions. Same idea.

BTW, if some people weren't so hostile about caring for the environment there probably wouldn't be a need to adopt such Draconian measures. Just a thought.

Either way, I think it's a good call. It'll make people remember their bags.

There's nothing wrong with having canvas bags around. Plastic bag consumption has decreased since stores have been imposing a charge for bags. BUT to outright ban them is silly.

I keep extra bags in the trunk of my car for unexpected trips to the grocery store. But sometimes I run out. I don't think I have them in there right now and I'm planning to go to No Frills after work. I don't mind spending 5 cents for the good quality bag they offer, and that bag will be used as a garbage bag later. But to pay $1 for a canvas bag every time I forget is even more wasteful. I have a ton of Canvas bags already.

If I find I have a glut of plastic bags, theres a bin at Wal-Mart I can dump them in to be recycled. It's a pretty good system.

If I find I have a glut of plastic bags, theres a bin at Wal-Mart I can dump them in to be recycled. It's a pretty good system.

Except that recycling plastic is a scam, causing people to have confidence in the green friendliness of the bags and so encouraging more careless, casual use. The vast majority of plastic bags still goes in the landfill where it breaks down into its chemical components. And none of those are good for you.

Those plastics that are recycled do not usually go towards making new bags, but rather into products that are made of inferior material, which is then no longer recyclable.

I bring my own bags for shopping. Partially to do my bit for the environment and partly because so many stores plastic bags are now that thin plastic that isn't very strong and tears easily. FreshCo still has that thick plastic bags as does No Frills but the rest I think have that thin crinkly kind that just aren't very good for anything so I bring my own.