Alberta Election

I find it rather frustrating that we essentially have a one party system in Alberta. The opposition of any stripe (right or left) is so weak that it is fair to call it non-existent. Albertans are too conformist and rather cynically, I wonder why we even bother to spend the money on elections when the outcome is of absolutely no surprise. Would it not be beneficial to have some diversity here even if you believe Klein has done a great job? :(

Kinda like how Canada is really a defacto one party system. Perhaps if the Liberal party of Alberta changed their name here. I think people have a real aversion to voteing for anyone under that banner. I do think that people whereever they are will run for the party that will win. I think many liberals have run provincially as PC's. I'm hoping the Alberta Alliance will make some headway this election and get the Alberta Agenda front and center.

The map is gettymandered.

(Gerrymandered for those of you who don't live here in Alberta).

The densest district is in Calgary, with something like 80,000 voters. The least dense district is way up north, with something like 8 thousand people in it.

Most of the people live in Calgary and Edmonton, but they have fewer than half of the seats.

The common refrain is that rural areas need more representation, deserve more because they're more virtuous, and any other weak excuse the rightcheous right can think of.

In reality, the original right wing conservative, George Brown, believed in one person one vote.

I say, if the problem is effective representation (distance in a riding), fine, then boost the number of ridings.

But I for one believe in the principle of one person, one vote, and the violation of this principle for any perceived gain just has no legs with me.

The PC's and Social Credit before them are guilty of violating this fundamental conservative and Canadian value, and they deserve severe repramand for it.

The PC's will win, but only because they control the rural regions.

The densest district is in Calgary, with something like 80,000 voters. The least dense district is way up north, with something like 8 thousand people in it.
I think someone in Calgary could challenge under the Charter.

In Quebec, the Iles de la Madelaine (pop. about 10,000) have their own seat in the National Assembly where the average is about 50,000/seat. The argument is that they are a special community in need of one dedicated spokesperson.

Alright: and here's you get around that:

Since 10,000 is the lowest common denominator, then make all the seats 10,000 people.

You'd get closer, better representation.

You'd reduce the power of the leader.

The public-party interface would be very intimate.

750 MLA's in the National Assembly?

If that's what it takes to make politics responsive again,

If that's what it takes to reduce the power of the leader,

If that's what it takes to restore the principle of one vote, one person.

Then do it.

------------

The Supreme Court has ruled that upwards of 50% of variation is acceptable (their logic was disgusting, based on 'effective representation'), whereas exeptions can be made.

So the Supreme Court has it wrong.

Effective representation implies equality, something the SC ignored because it was convinient for them.

---------

The PC's will win the next election.

Cartman; if you have a political leadership that is doing an adequate job keeping them in power is not a bad idea. Watch BC; we usually hate our governing party bad enough, time after time; we would vote for the devil to get rid of the previous one (I think we did vote in the devil last time and with no opposition) It get expensive; paying off all those politicians and all their political appointees and then doing again in 4 years.

That being said; I can't wait till May 11th and get Campbell kicked out of office.

Klein, you either love him or hate him. That is the kind of person he is. He is not a perfect person or politician but over all he has done a fairly decent job running the province. He does suffer from the occasional case of foot in the mouth disease but in all reality, he says it as most people see it. Alberta has been rather lucky with the oil prices and has seen a tremendous amount of revenue enter our coffers. Klein tries to ensure this money goes to where it is needed. There is more money going back into our healthcare and schools. New schools are being built and more teachers are being hired. Hospitals still need to go further but Klein does not believe just throwing more moeny at it will eliviate the problems we now have. Health regions have to have spending plans before they can get extra money. Overall, I think most people agree with Klein and will reelect him again.

Playfullfellow, you pretty much hit the nail on the head. The funny thing is, is that the majority of people that, bitch and complain about Klein, don't even live in Alberta. I guess since their gov'ts are doing such a great job, they must turn their attention on the gov'ts that need to be brought into line. ie. Alberta

Jay; Not exactly the case. Klein does like to grab the spotlight and throw out little tidbits to irritate the federal government or other provinces. His little alliance with Campbell here in BC makes us distrust his motives as we distrust Campbell and his assault on the seniors , women,, children and middle income workers; especially union workers. Without union pensions; the dreaded baby boomer might really be a challenge. As it is most will enter their senior years with adequately union pensions and will still be contributing to the tax base.

I don't believe that they will be the big drain on the system that the governments would have us believe.