Creating a saint

Guest Peeves

Frankly, I think it's a load of garbage, since it creates a nice fallacy where it's impossible to take an opposing position, but there you have it. Divine explanation. It's God's punishment for Original Sin.

and if you were born on the Tibetan Plateau in a Buddhist family or the depths of the Amazon jungle in an animist family none of that christian mumbo jumbo has any meaning, relevance or truth...what we grow up to believe is true is dependent upon the family we are born into ...I was born into a family and culture where asking critical questions is key, questions christianity is unable to answer...

It's not hard to see how the Vatican chooses these saints out of political motives, rather than anything resembling religious devotion! Back in the 70's.....when it seemed that they made fewer saints, they canonized an American woman just prior to the Pope's cross country tour; is this any different? Over the last 40 years, aboriginals have mostly walked away from the churches - both Protestant and Catholic, and many have tried to rekindle their original spiritual beliefs....which is difficult, since spiritual beliefs were connected with their way of life. Is the creation of an Iroquois saint supposed to be an effort to win back the Indians?.....sorry about the buggery and taking away your children and beating them for speaking the native languages, we'll give you your own saint if you come back.

I don't know as much about Roman gods and pagan religions, but it sounds like it. Just to be clear though, the Africans and Natives, in some cases, accepted the Christian God as part of their religion. It wasn't a comparison, rather they actually integrated the Christian God into their religion. I'm not sure how it unfolded in Rome, but it would be like them accepting a Christian God as the highest God, then keeping all the Roman Gods as lesser gods, rather than replacing them.

I remain puzzled as to why Constantine chose the then unpopular Christianity.

Or for that matter why the Khazars chose Judaism.

http://198.62.75.1/www2/koestler/

This thread is hilarious. A bunch of atheists arguing about religion...sounds like the opening of a joke.

Never thought of it that way..you made me grin. I like that. It is an opening for a joke. Starts out.... This guy worships god.........