No Food or Water for 24 Hours...

jbg

The Jewish holiday of Yom Kippur started today at sundown. It is a 24 hour (25 hours for some) period of no food and no water. Its purpose is to atone for sins. That doesn't let you off the hook though; you still have to make peace with those you have hurt.

Yoma 8:9

One who says, "I shall sin and repent, sin and repent"—will have no chance to do repentance.

One who says, "I will sin and the Day of Atonement will atone"—the Day of Atonement does not atone.

For transgressions done between a person and the Omnipresent, the Day of Atonement atones.

For transgressions between one person and another, the Day of Atonement atones, only if the first one appeases the other.

This is as Rabbi Eleazar ben Arakh states: "From all your sins shall you be clean before the Lord (Lev. 16:30)—for transgressions between a person and the Omnipresent does the Day of Atonement atone. For transgressions between one person and another, the Day of Atonement atones, only if the first one appeases the other."

24 hours isn't that long to go without food and water. Back when I was addicted to computer games in my high school years, I'd go that long without food or water on occasion just by being absorbed in gaming and not wanting to get up and away from my computer. Thankfully those times are behind me.

By the way, if you're looking to atone for stuff, cite where you got that first quote in your sig from :)

By the way, if you're looking to atone for stuff, cite where you got that first quote in your sig from :)

It may have been a JBG original or I may have heard it somewhere. Google did not turn up an origin other than my siggies on various boards. So I may have coined it.

It may have been a JBG original or I may have heard it somewhere. Google did not turn up an origin other than my siggies on various boards. So I may have coined it.

Actually I posted that in a thread here about 2ish years ago, and you liked it and put it in your sig :)

http://www.mapleleafweb.com/forums//index.php?showtopic=16972&view=findpost&p=573140

http://www.mapleleafweb.com/forums//index.php?showtopic=16972&view=findpost&p=573233

24 hours isn't that long to go without food and water. Back when I was addicted to computer games in my high school years, I'd go that long without food or water on occasion just by being absorbed in gaming and not wanting to get up and away from my computer. Thankfully those times are behind me.

Interesting, out of curiosity what games were you addicted to? I always got addicted to the 'Civilization' PC games, but my marathons would only (only?) go for up to 12-hour stretches at most.

Also, haven't you heard the international news stories of the occasional gamer collapsing and dying during MMO gaming marathons?

Interesting, out of curiosity what games were you addicted to? I always got addicted to the 'Civilization' PC games, but my marathons would only (only?) go for up to 12-hour stretches at most.

My worst addiction was to a game called Dark Age of Camelot. It was a relatively early (2001) MMORPG in which players from three sides fought for control of a vast frontier and the keeps and relics situated in it. The most I ever played in one stretch was just over 36 hours, while on summer break from high school. They killed the fun of the game with various ill-conceived changes/additions by about 2004.

Also, haven't you heard the international news stories of the occasional gamer collapsing and dying during MMO gaming marathons?

I have, yes. One of the people I knew in Dark Age was a Korean that played even more than I did, he put in a few 70+ hour stretches with no sleep that I know of, with no ill effects (though he certainly had food and water during his long gaming stretches). Anyway, I certainly wouldn't play a computer game for anywhere close to that long these days.

When I get into something though I usually REALLY get into it. These days it's hiking/mountaineering, and I'll happily spend 18-20 hours climbing up and down the slope of some mountain with nothing but 5 minute breaks here and there, then sleep in a tent for 6 hours and do it again the next day.

Edited by Bonam

Thanks for reminding me. I forgot all about that. Clever.