2012 Federal by-elections

I thought that with the resignation of another MP today, and the possibility of more in the near future, I thought it would be good to have one thread for all the by-elections. So the three ridings that will have by-elections are Calgary Centre, Durham and Victoria and then of course there is a court case ongoing with Etobicoke Centre.

Interestingly enough the three by-elections that will likely occur by year end, though Durham and Victoria don't need to be called by then, were all won by their respective parties by 50%+ of the vote in 2011. Thought we have seen in the past that with an incumbent gone and the right candidate anything can happen.

So discuss!

I've been getting fundraising calls from the Ontario PCs but I'm not a member, not sure how they got my number. The guy was pretty aggressive almost demanding that I donate money for the upcoming by election which is not my riding, so it really put me off. I told him I couldn't afford it out of my pension cheque and don't bother calling again, they sure know how to win friends and influence people - not. :lol:

I've been getting fundraising calls from the Ontario PCs but I'm not a member, not sure how they got my number. The guy was pretty aggressive almost demanding that I donate money for the upcoming by election which is not my riding, so it really put me off. I told him I couldn't afford it out of my pension cheque and don't bother calling again, they sure know how to win friends and influence people - not. :lol:

Parties today seem to be using call centres for such calls. The person on the phone is likely not even a member of whatever party they are boosting! They are simply being paid to get money, for a base plus commission on every donation.

Back in the Pleistocene Era Reform used their own people in every local riding.We had a level of volunteerism that had never been seen before or likely will be again.

Even if it was a volunteer that called you , Scribb, keep in mind that with volunteers you get what you get, not necessarily what you would like. An organized party would keep an eye on their volunteers, to make sure that they are not ticking off more people than they are getting to donate. An aggressive amateur can do a lot of harm. Sometimes it just requires training. Sometimes the volunteer should be steered to another job.

Of course, this sort of auditing presupposes some good management going on. I don't know how well the Ontario PCs are organized in your riding. Hopefully for them, the guy who called you was just a fluke that got corrected. I have received calls from all 3 parties over the years and I have always found their callers to be charming.

In fact, even though I wasn't a good prospect for them, the nicest are always from the NDP! And after I explain that I am not likely to change my mind, they have always politely wished me the best and moved on.

Parties today seem to be using call centres for such calls. The person on the phone is likely not even a member of whatever party they are boosting! They are simply being paid to get money, for a base plus commission on every donation.

Back in the Pleistocene Era Reform used their own people in every local riding.We had a level of volunteerism that had never been seen before or likely will be again.

Even if it was a volunteer that called you , Scribb, keep in mind that with volunteers you get what you get, not necessarily what you would like. An organized party would keep an eye on their volunteers, to make sure that they are not ticking off more people than they are getting to donate. An aggressive amateur can do a lot of harm. Sometimes it just requires training. Sometimes the volunteer should be steered to another job.

Of course, this sort of auditing presupposes some good management going on. I don't know how well the Ontario PCs are organized in your riding. Hopefully for them, the guy who called you was just a fluke that got corrected. I have received calls from all 3 parties over the years and I have always found their callers to be charming.

In fact, even though I wasn't a good prospect for them, the nicest are always from the NDP! And after I explain that I am not likely to change my mind, they have always politely wished me the best and moved on.

That is a very accurate analysis of political fundraising today, vs the past. I recall all parties in the 80s and previous having strong to medium strength numbers of volunteers. I recall by the 90s , volunteerism seemed to vapourize and many of the activists from all parties did go to the Reformers... but it depended alot on the make up of your region.. by 2004 volunteers seemed to dry up and the switch to call centres doing voter id, vs the door knocking and marking soon became a thing of the past. The party which made the switch fastest and first was the Conservatives , however, the most effective use of the Robocall based on voter id was the Liberals of 2004 with their last phone blasts in the 24 hours heading to the Election Day. It was a strategic voting robocall and it switched 100s to 1000s of votes per riding from the NDP to the LPC.

Today, I think people are now tired of the endless calls for monies, and the robocalls may have already lost their impact. Technology moves fast.

That said, WBs comments on the volunteers. You get what you get and people need to realize that the person on the other end is "Not a professional, not paid, and doing their best," Its not ez calling people, especially if you are asking for money, which is why parties often resort to paid call centres.

Back in the Pleistocene Era Reform used their own people in every local riding.We had a level of volunteerism that had never been seen before or likely will be again...................

Not sure that was a call centre, I seem to remember he was from the party, not sure. Hope you are right. ( I save my donations for the feds :D considering you get 75% back on the first $500.00 I can afford to give a couple of hundred...