Windsor/Detroit bridge is a go!

• Replies 250
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I was listen to Detroit radio WJR and they said that this coming Friday the Governor will make an announcement of the agreement and that Michigan will get a new bridge and it will also include jobs and the bridge will be free. Canada will put up the money and get it back in tolls, so that means when Canadians cross the new bridge, they will be paying twice for the bridge. Again, under this Harper govt, do Canadians get screwed again. Canada is such good friends to the US. http://www.theglobeandmail.com/news/politics/harper-mum-on-campaign-for-second-bridge-to-detroit/article4251129/

Guest American Woman

I was listen to Detroit radio WJR and they said that this coming Friday the Governor will make an announcement of the agreement and that Michigan will get a new bridge and it will also include jobs and the bridge will be free. Canada will put up the money and get it back in tolls, so that means when Canadians cross the new bridge, they will be paying twice for the bridge. Again, under this Harper govt, do Canadians get screwed again. Canada is such good friends to the US. http://www.theglobeandmail.com/news/politics/harper-mum-on-campaign-for-second-bridge-to-detroit/article4251129/

Ummmmm. No. They won't be paying for it twice. Canada will get all of the revenue from the bridge - the money paid by Americans, too, until the Michigan cost is recouped. Michigan will get nothing until its share is paid off. Once it's paid off, both sides will get their revenue. Canadians are not paying for it twice and are not getting screwed.

Canada wants this bridge more than Michigan does - and is doing what is necessary to get it. It has nothing to do with "friendship." Canada is getting what it wants.

Hopefully, the usual tree huggers and environMentalists can wrap this project up in enough red tape to delay it for many years, saving money for other priorities. Stop The Bridge NOW!

http://www.wxyz.com/dpp/news/state/Copy_of_MIBorder-Bridge_12938596

....Michigan landfills don't need more garbage from Canada.

Guest American Woman

Not if some state legislators have their way.

You're right - the governor is trying to bypass the legislature, but if Canada is able to go ahead with the project, thanks will be due to Michigan, not the other way around.

Blocking this bridge project ain't over yet. If there are too many automotive supply trucks lined up, then there are too many American jobs in Canada! ;)

Can't disagree with you there. At any rate, it's Canada that has been pushing for this bridge; the Michigan legislature isn't approving it because it's not a priority for most here.

Guest American Woman

Agreed....Ontario wants/needs this bridge a lot more than Michigan, which has higher/other priorities.

Yep, that's true. Will be interesting to see what happens, as Canada is obviously trying to sweeten the pot - which leads me to believe Michigan may give Canada what it wants.

Edited by American Woman

Yep, that's true. Will be interesting to see what happens, as Canada is obviously trying to sweeten the pot - which leads me to believe Michigan may give Canada what it wants.

If Michigan wants to sucker Ontariario with the good governor, bad legislature routine that's fine by me. Milk them for all they can get. Still odd..."America / Detroit sucks, eh? So let's build another bridge to get there !!"

Guest American Woman

If Michigan wants to sucker Ontariario with the good governor, bad legislature routine that's fine by me. Milk them for all they can get. Still odd..."America / Detroit sucks, eh? So let's build another bridge to get there !!"

:lol:

My thoughts exactly...... and they are so desperate to get here that they are fronting the money. :D

Guest American Woman

Apparently Detroit is the Gateway to the Promised Land. There is a tunnel too ....

The tunnel you speak of is the second busiest crossing between the U.S. and Canada - the bridge connecting Detroit and Windsor is the busiest. :)

The tunnel you speak of is the second busiest crossing between the U.S. and Canada - the bridge connecting Detroit and Windsor is the busiest. :)

OK...got that video too. Maybe it's my imagination, but the crazy traffic congestion to get into the USA is a lot worse than going to Canada. Just 'sayin...I wonder why? ;)

Edited by bush_cheney2004

Today, Friday is the day this will be announced, first by Harper in Windsor around noon and around 2pm by the governor. http://www.clickondetroit.com/news/news/Plan-would-build-new-US-Canada-bridge-at-Detroit/-/4714498/14868462/-/88h1b0z/-/index.html here's also info. from local paper http://www.windsorstar.com/news/officials+board+bridge+blitz/6783265/story.html

Edited by Topaz

Guest American Woman

OK...got that video too. Maybe it's my imagination, but the crazy traffic congestion to get into the USA is a lot worse than going to Canada. Just 'sayin...I wonder why? ;)

The Windsor-Detroit corridor is Canada’s most important trade artery...link

Of course the tunnel isn't for commercial vehicles, but Canadians do love that cross border shopping. :)

At any rate, Canada really wanted the bridge - and got it, and Michigan got what it wanted. Seems to be a win-win situation.

The Windsor-Detroit corridor is Canada’s most important trade artery...link

Of course the tunnel isn't for commercial vehicles, but Canadians do love that cross border shopping. :)

At any rate, Canada really wanted the bridge - and got it, and Michigan got what it wanted. Seems to be a win-win situation.

Riiight. Because the tunnel isn't busiest with Americans coming over on the weekends to drink at 19 instead of 21 and to actually be able to order a beer in a strip club where the women/men actually get naked.

I don't know any Canadians that use the tunnel for shopping excursions. Downtown Detroit isn't usually where people go to shop. They normally take the bridge so they can hit the arteries out to the outlet malls.

Guest American Woman

Riiight. Because the tunnel isn't busiest with Americans coming over on the weekends to drink at 19 instead of 21 and to actually be able to order a beer in a strip club where the women/men "actually" get naked.

We're talking weekends, are we? - The tunnel doesn't get traffic during the week? But that's something you should be really proud of - that Canada's draw is alcohol for underage drinkers and actually naked men and women in strip clubs. :lol:

I don't know any Canadians that use the tunnel for shopping excursions.

And of the 13,000 who use the tunnel on a daily basis, how many do you claim to know?

Downtown Detroit isn't usually where people go to shop. They normally take the bridge so they can hit the arteries out to the outlet malls.

I was speaking of Canadians crossing into the U.S. in general since it had been referred to previously, but I would guess a few take the tunnel for shopping excursions since one can go beyond downtown Detroit after going through the tunnel - one is not held hostage there. :P But while we're on the subject, Canadians like to fly out of the U.S., too.

...I was speaking of Canadians crossing into the U.S. in general since it had been referred to previously, but I would guess a few take the tunnel for shopping excursions since one can go beyond downtown Detroit after going through the tunnel - one is not held hostage there. :P But while we're on the subject, Canadians like to fly out of the U.S., too.

Right....the driver in the bridge video made a specific reference to usually crossing by tunnel, and I inferred it was because of the lack of truck traffic.

I am just amused by all this traffic and demand to get into a country and city that some Canadians are so quick to criticize. Canadians seemingly get very excited about any changes or barriers to entry, even a measely $5.00 cover charge!

I have come to the conclusion that with so many Canadians living within 100km of the US border, access and ease of crossing are very very important to them, commercially or for private business / family trips. So it's like, "America sucks, but they have really low prices and more stuff to buy!!"