Is this a failure in our Legal system?

Boges

Holding members of parliament to the wishes of their constituents is the solution. MPs should not vote based on their belief system, but should vote based on the wishes of their constituents.

What if the constituents wishes are as wholly unrealistic as the politicians beliefs?

What if the constituents wishes are as wholly unrealistic as the politicians beliefs?

Irrelevant, the politician is elected to represent the constituents. His values should not come in to play.If I oppose gay marriage yet 60% of my constituents support it I have no right to vote against gay marriage because I am not representing myself as an MP I am representing the wishes of the people who voted for me.

I dont agree with the structure that we have where an MP will vote with his/her party even if the constituents oppose that.

Guest Peeves

Irrelevant, the politician is elected to represent the constituents. His values should not come in to play.If I oppose gay marriage yet 60% of my constituents support it I have no right to vote against gay marriage because I am not representing myself as an MP I am representing the wishes of the people who voted for me.

I dont agree with the structure that we have where an MP will vote with his/her party even if the constituents oppose that.

Makes good sense. If 'we' elect a rep. that rep. should vote our line, not the party line.

Same with unions. If we elect a union to bargain for contracts they should not take 'our' money for other purpose.

Makes good sense. If 'we' elect a rep. that rep. should vote our line, not the party line.

Same with unions. If we elect a union to bargain for contracts they should not take 'our' money for other purpose.

Thats why we need to loosen the party system, you can be Liberal,Conservative or green Party, but you need to vote based on your constituents rather then the party then and only then will we have representative democracy. I don't agree with 100% of any platform and thus I would vote for different parties on different subjects if I had the choice, and I know many people support one party but not necessarily 100% of that parties decisions. Give freedom to the MPs to vote with their constituents and when the government wants something done, they will have to convince the people of its value rather then convince MPs.

And unions have become more of self preservation rather then helping the people they were intended for.

Edited by Signals.Cpl