Grow the Eff up Quebec!

• Replies 110
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Quebec has one of the lowest rates of attendance in Canada at university because they have a 24% flat tax?

No, I was saying that he was oversimplifying his comparison. Quebec, like most provinces, has a progressive tax system. 24% is the top rate.

Quebec has one of the lowest rates of attendance in Canada at university because they have a 24% flat tax?

You'll have to explain that.

Alberta has the lowest rate of attendance because good paying jobs that don't require degrees are plentiful.

I find it quite odd that Alberta is recruiting worldwide for qualified technical people, but unwilling to invest that money in encouraging, educating and training their own people to fill those jobs.

Very odd indeed.

Employers in Canada spend very little on educating and training employees, compared to other developed countries. They spend a lot of time and effort complaining and recruiting out of country instead.

Very odd.

Guest Manny

No, I was saying that he was oversimplifying his comparison. Quebec, like most provinces, has a progressive tax system. 24% is the top rate.

I posted the data for people to look at, I shouldn't have to repeat it here. But since you're being stubborn about it. The top rate in Quebec cuts in at about 80k, 24%. Highest in the country. The rate for Ontario in this same bracket is 11%. That's more than double, if you do math. And this difference is more or less consistent across all wages, across the board. Even the middle range of 40-80K is at 20%, higher than any of the other provinces, in any range.

Guest Manny

And from my earlier post in this thread:

here is a chart from this report to illustrate what's going on with incomes between provinces.

http://www.statcan.gc.ca/pub/13-605-x/2003001/chrono/2003prov/images/pdi01.gif

Quebec vs. Alberta... anyone?

Almost 30% less disposable income. Quebecers should rightly ask why they are paying more, when the services they want are being taken from them.

Edited by Manny

You'll have to explain that.

Alberta has the lowest rate of attendance because good paying jobs that don't require degrees are plentiful.

but that's artificial, without oil those people would be in a shit load of trouble any downturn in the price of oil results in layoffs of oil workers and in related service industries...and many if not most of those jobs still require post secondary education at a technical college...education will always be the best bet against poverty...

Denmark from what I've read has virtually free education, the logic being that an educated population will save the country money in the long term with a more productive employed population, similar to how preventive medicine avoids costly intensive care later...

The top rate in Quebec cuts in at about 80k, 24%. Highest in the country.

It's probably no higher than a few other provinces once you take into account the federal abatement that Quebec taxpayers get. The Quebec government has taken over some federal functions that they are constitutionally allowed to, so the provincial government pays for them, and so Quebecers aren't taxed for those things.

• 3 weeks later...

It's probably no higher than a few other provinces once you take into account the federal abatement that Quebec taxpayers get. The Quebec government has taken over some federal functions that they are constitutionally allowed to, so the provincial government pays for them, and so Quebecers aren't taxed for those things.

I haven't got to say this enough to you in the last year. Good point.

Protests are taking an anarchist/anti-capitalist turn now against the Formula 1 race. Too bad, looks like it would have been a great race weekend (great weather). What I find most ironic is that the violent protesters (largely the anarchist/anti-capitalist groups) are complaining about wealth inequality etc, which by protesting they are in essence supporting. The Quebec and Montreal government AND people are loosing a lot of money because of the violent protesters, which is in turn hurting business, lowering employment in industries that employ students, increasing government spending (on cleanup and police) etc. The students with a legitimate complaint against tuition cost increases should try and distance themselves from the violent groups as much as possible to hope to succeed (in my opinion).

I found an interesting article by former F1 driver and fellow Quebecer Jacques Villeneuve on CBC.

"Villeneuve said: "I think these people grew up without ever hearing their parents ever tell them, 'No.'"

Link - fixed link

Edited by kolak