Bullets storage rule, shot down

Guest Derek L

They could prevent that in a number of ways. One by reducing the probability that someone will lose their cool and kill someone else in the "heat of passion". Another by preventing weapons and ammo from being easily stolen. Or if they are stolen, they would be traceable through identification in a registry. those are just some examples. I'm sure a creative thinking person can come up with more.

So if I were to lose me marbles and the Great Gazoo told me to off my family, how is keeping my firearms (as current) locked up going to prevent it?

As for theft, though my two safes might deter a random B & E, to say nothing of my home security system and two big ugly dogs, a determined thief could eventually “liberate” my firearms if they so desired. And if such a theft did occur, how is having database for easy identification going to help law enforcement?

Edited by Derek L

• Replies 183
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Guest Manny

So if I were to lose me marbles and the Great Gazoo told me to off my family, how is keeping my firearms (as current) locked up going to prevent it?

Heat of passion is not "losing your marbles", it is getting very angry and doing something impulsively,

that you regret immediately once the anger passes.

As for theft, though my two safes might deter a random B & E, to say nothing of my home security system and two big ugly dogs, a determined thief could eventually “liberate” my firearms if they so desired.

The fact that you have two dogs is very good, but dogs are not part of the safety requirement. If you think that dogs should become part of the requirement, write your MP.

if such a theft did occur, how is having database for easy identification going to help law enforcement?

Then they'll know that your gun has been recovered, if they ever find it again. then they can give it back to you, which is a benefit to the legal owner of guns.

Guest Derek L

Heat of passion is not "losing your marbles", it is getting very angry and doing something impulsively,

that you regret immediately once the anger passes.

My wife and I argue all the time, I suppose you’re not married ;) That said, will a sudden outburst of impulsive violence coupled with safe storage, prevent the use of such other weapons as fists, baseball bats and kitchen knives? How do non gun owners tune their wives? To add, during the process of getting ones firearms licence, there are interviews with the spouses, family/friends and employers to help weed out the Ike Turners……

The fact that you have two dogs is very good, but dogs are not part of the safety requirement. If you think that dogs should become part of the requirement, write your MP.

I don't quite follow.......My point, if thieves so desired my firearms, locked up in their safes, one could surmise that if they were armed with pepper spray/bats/knives (or even an illegal firearm(s)) they could force me to open said safes under the threat of violence to me or my family members (This just happened several months ago to family in New Brunswick)……..Heaven Forbid I was to defend myself and family with a firearm though.

Then they'll know that your gun has been recovered, if they ever find it again. then they can give it back to you, which is a benefit to the legal owner of guns.

You’ve never heard of a file? No more serial number……..

Guest Manny

will a sudden outburst of impulsive violence coupled with safe storage, prevent the use of such other weapons as fists, baseball bats and kitchen knives? How do non gun owners tune their wives? To add, during the process of getting ones firearms licence, there are interviews with the spouses, family/friends and employers to help weed out the Ike Turners……

So many questions. Is that you, Michael Hardner?

will a sudden outburst of impulsive violence coupled with safe storage, prevent the use of such other weapons as fists, baseball bats and kitchen knives? How do non gun owners tune their wives?

You have to get right up close to kill people with those things. You can't use them to kill, from a distance. Like when gun owners go on a murderous rampage...

You’ve never heard of a file? No more serial number……..

Criminals wouldn't bother doing that, since they don't care what happens to the gun if its re-acquired. That would only be something unscrupulous gun owners might do, or those who object to having their guns registered. The ballistics database would be helpful.

Guest Derek L

You have to get right up close to kill people with those things. You can't use them to kill, from a distance. Like when gun owners go on a murderous rampage...

Ahh, but what is a more prevalent potential weapon in ones home? You may not have guns in your house, but I’d hedge you have kitchen knives….And what does range of one given weapon have to do with it? If I were to attack my wife with a hatchet or a gun, her chances unarmed are equally as bleak…….As for the murderous rampage, I thought we deduced that if one was so inclined, the deterrence factor of storing ones weapons in a safe were nil.

Criminals wouldn't bother doing that, since they don't care what happens to the gun if its re-acquired. That would only be something unscrupulous gun owners might do, or those who object to having their guns registered. The ballistics database would be helpful.

Criminals wouldn’t do? Are you serious? But legal gun owners would? You obviously don’t understand the process of acquiring firearms, or the consequences for a legal owner being caught with a firearm with the serial numbers taken off….

As for a “Ballistic database“, I’d suggest your further your knowledge of firearms, leaving out TV and the movies, and concentrate further study on the ease of swapping out a barrel and/or firing pin……Depending on the gun, such process can take one with an intermediate skill set, 10-15 minutes……..Then there’s shotguns…………

Edited by Derek L

No matter how safe you make things, accidents do happen, as do people who are committed to do the crime (even in a heat of passion) can and will use anything as a weapon.

I don't own any firearms, I do own a compound bow.... but there are at least 30 other things in my apartment I could use to cause you harm if you break into my home. Once you break into my home, in my view you forfeit your own rights, and I am going to make your day very very very miserable.

Criminals don't follow the rules, no matter WHAT rules you put in place.

Guest Derek L

Barrel removal of a scary looking Robinson Arms XCR:

50 seconds....

And installation:

To add, this scary looking rifle is non restricted, hence no requirement to register.

Edited by Derek L

Guest Manny

No matter how safe you make things, accidents do happen, as do people who are committed to do the crime (even in a heat of passion) can and will use anything as a weapon.

I agree, and said exactly the same thing a few posts back. I'm also generally against the concept of the nanny-state. But still, I'm no extremist in any of my views and I believe there needs to be reasonable safeguards in place in some things. If the safeguards are not a major inconvenience, and shown to be effective, if they are supported by experts in safety and by the people who are combating crime, I think it's a good idea. So gun registry was a good idea, in my view. Dismantling it and destroying the records made it an expensive waste. It's hard to fathom why this was so important, to a party that has some very bizarre views on reducing crime.

• 2 weeks later...
Guest Derek L

I agree, and said exactly the same thing a few posts back. I'm also generally against the concept of the nanny-state. But still, I'm no extremist in any of my views and I believe there needs to be reasonable safeguards in place in some things. If the safeguards are not a major inconvenience, and shown to be effective, if they are supported by experts in safety and by the people who are combating crime, I think it's a good idea. So gun registry was a good idea, in my view. Dismantling it and destroying the records made it an expensive waste. It's hard to fathom why this was so important, to a party that has some very bizarre views on reducing crime.

As said numerous times, there’s no evidence to suggest that the registry did reduce “gun crime”, since those that commit crime, are not likely to follow the laws anyways………Regardless, if another political party, at the federal or provincial level, tried to bring back a registry for long guns, the levels of compliance would be drastically worse then the previous levels………..During the registry, there were ~7. ½ million firearms registered, of an estimated ~21+ million private firearms within Canada……As has been demonstrated both here and with in the States, talk of gun control is the best trigger (pun) for an increase in gun and ammunition sales……..

Meanwhile, back at the ranch:

Feds' patience running out on 'backdoor' registries

The minister says it's still his intention to end the provincial practice of forcing gun shops to maintain paper-ledger records of rifle and shotgun purchases.

Toews praised New Brunswick for announcing Tuesday that it would stop trying to track long-guns sales on its paper ledgers to comply with the federal law that abolished the long-gun registry last month.

RCMP commissioner Bob Paulson has written to all CFOs to tell them federal law doesn't authorize them to run anything resembling a long-gun registry.

If the CFO’s and Provinces keeping pushing their luck, the government might have to look at scraping in it’s entirety Bill C-68....And dare I say PET’s portion pertaining to firearms of Bill C-150.…That’s the next “target”, to say nothing of a Canadian Castle Doctrine and issuing of ATCs to individuals