Divorce settlement

http://www.cbc.ca/story/canada/national/20...ort_040809.html

EDMONTON - For the first time in Canada, a court has ordered a man to give his ex-wife monthly support payments for their dog.

Kenneth Duncan, a truck driver in Edmonton, was told to pay $200 a month in alimony towards the upkeep of Crunchy, a St. Bernard.

Alberta Justice Donald Lee rejected Duncan's request to pay a monthly $25 towards feeding the big four-year-old, arguing a dog the size of a St. Bernard would eat quite a bit more than a small breed.

Had Crunchy been a child, the monthly payment would have been $691, based on Duncan's annual salary of $84,000.

I like pets, but...

http://www.cbc.ca/story/canada/national/20...ort_040809.html
EDMONTON - For the first time in Canada, a court has ordered a man to give his ex-wife monthly support payments for their dog.

Kenneth Duncan, a truck driver in Edmonton, was told to pay $200 a month in alimony towards the upkeep of Crunchy, a St. Bernard.

Alberta Justice Donald Lee rejected Duncan's request to pay a monthly $25 towards feeding the big four-year-old, arguing a dog the size of a St. Bernard would eat quite a bit more than a small breed.

Had Crunchy been a child, the monthly payment would have been $691, based on Duncan's annual salary of $84,000.

I like pets, but...

$200 a month???? I like dogs myself but uhmm...I would be slipping some anti-freeze in the dogs food. thats $2,400 per year for fricken dog food, not to mention the article made it sound as though the dog ate more then that!!!!!

200 a month is very reasonable for a St Bernard.

As I get older, I find everything really expensive. Maybe the dog does actually eat that much!! In this case, however, I am assuming that the person in question is paying half of the costs of raising the dog? Or, is the judge just making an example here? As a person who is concerned about the treatment of animals, I wonder whether people will be more likely to kill their animals rather than pay such support? Off topic if important perhaps.

Though a seemingly odd case, in BC I understand that welfare pays for raising pets, so why not make this part of divorce settlements?

200 a month is very reasonable for a St Bernard. Slavik; you are a vile idiot saying you would poison a dog. You should be ashamed of yourself.

relax buddy, this thread is slightly lighthearted to begin with and nto to serious, however $2,400 a year is not truly reasonable for a St.Bernard, especially when you look at the context of the situation. First off 2,400 should be able to cover the cost of the Dog for a year with change to spare. however considering his wife owns the dog you would assume she is also contributing money to the Dog. Lets face it dog license is $50/year, Basic boosters an shots are not overly expensive and should come in under $100, A couple of toys, bones and treats should come in under $200. It costs me $40 to feed my dog a month, He is 60 pounds, the average St.Bernard is about 170 (we will say 180). That is 1,440 per year, lets round it up to $1,600...that is 1,950, we can throw in a complimentry breeding at a cost of $400 per year, and still coem in 50 bucks under 2,400. What exactly is the wife paying? and I have tried to exagerate the costs in your favour and still 2,400 for the full thing, no cost splitting would be hard to hit.

The real question is: why the hell should someone have to pay support for the upkeep of a dog?

It's the first time a Canadian court has elevated a pet above chattel status in divorce proceedings. Normally, pets are ranked with furniture and non-living household property, and given a lesser value.

But U.S. courts are increasingly ruling pets are more akin to children. American judges have begun to rule on joint custody, visitation rights and support payments.

This is ridiculous.

Duncan, say the dog gets a job maybe this support payments are significantly reduced and now the dog has the ability to support itself - and "al.i.mony" is mine

the law is wise i guarantee

This is very true. There's no reason why the dog can't go run around with a little keg of brandy around its neck to rescue lost skiers, like other St Bernards.

I believe that is actually quite reasonable share of expenses for a dog of that size. For one thing Slavik; I think your food costs are on the low side. My two Shih Tzus cost me about 100 per month for food and snacks; grooming is 40 dollars each; what would a St Bernard cost? Any vet bill can be very expensive.

Unless you already own your home; rent for a place that will allow or accomodate such a large dog is not cheap; nor easy to find. That the gent in question did not get visitation rights may indicate some abuse???? Perhaps the dog needs a doggie psychiatrist

I believe that is actually quite reasonable share of expenses for a dog of that size. For one thing Slavik; I think your food costs are on the low side. My two Shih Tzus cost me about 100 per month for food and snacks; grooming is 40 dollars each; what would a St Bernard cost? Any vet bill can be very expensive.

Unless you already own your home; rent for a place that will allow or accomodate such a large dog is not cheap; nor easy to find. That the gent in question did not get visitation rights may indicate some abuse???? Perhaps the dog needs a doggie psychiatrist

Well if that is what you belive woudl you not agree that a better settlement woudl ahve been for each of them to cover the cost of the dog by a basis of money spent? instead of putting a fixed number? Wouldn't it have been more responsible to jsut get the guy to pay 50% of every charge, and as for your Shih Tzus woudl i be correct in assuming you do not feed them dry food? That could increase the price substantially.