Teachers (unionized) apparently know best about kids

Guest Peeves

In a move against charter schools in support of unionized teacher (schools)we hear how a spokesman says educators are best for upbringing of children than parents! Is there no point a union spokesman will not go to defend their territory or membership I ask you.

I think we all know a teacher who simply wants to put in their hours and go home kids are a necessary evil.

http://ca.news.yahoo.com/video/opinion-22424936/teachers-know-best-28333768.html

It depends, most parents raise their children with their beliefs and often times those beliefs aren't what teachers are teaching

for instance, a parent might teach their children that being gay is a sin while a teacher would teach that it's just a part of life and it's no reason to feel bad about yourself

In this instance the teacher is right and the parent is wrong

It could be about race as well.. their parents might often make racial comments (which is normal in real life but they should do it when the kids are not around) but that often stays with the child and they start repeating it..it's the teachers job to counter that by teaching the kid something their parents haven't ..respect for other races, tolerance and stuff

So yes, sometimes teachers do know best but not all parents are this way and not all teachers are this way

You would have to go by a case by case basis

Edited by olpfan1

It depends, most parents raise their children with their beliefs and often times those beliefs aren't what teachers are teaching

for instance, a parent might teach their children that being gay is a sin while a teacher would teach that it's just a part of life and it's no reason to feel bad about yourself

In this instance the teacher is right and the parent is wrong

It could be about race as well.. their parents might often make racial comments (which is normal in real life but they should do it when the kids are not around) but that often stays with the child and they start repeating it..it's the teachers job to counter that by teaching the kid something their parents haven't ..respect for other races, tolerance and stuff

So yes, sometimes teachers do know best but not all parents are this way and not all teachers are this way

You would have to go by a case by case basis

So after reading your motherhood and apple pie response, did you watch the video to reply to the union aspect of the 'position' by the spokesperson?

So after reading your motherhood and apple pie response, did you watch the video to reply to the union aspect of the 'position' by the spokesperson?

I don't have to, Unions are almost always worthless when you need them the most, not wasting my time watching their propaganda, I've worked in a few factories in my life, Unions just worry about themselves when everything goes to hell

There are plenty of non union schools you can send your kid to if that's your concern.

Some parents may make great teachers, but school is also about more than that. There's socialization and maturity, as well as life learning.

Also, some parents would make their children in to horrible monsters.

There are plenty of non union schools you can send your kid to if that's your concern.

Some parents may make great teachers, but school is also about more than that. There's socialization and maturity, as well as life learning.

You're missing the point. That seems to be the spokespersons concern in the video not mine. I don't care if they're unionized or not.

I do care that she like others in the education system repeatedly attempt to USE kids in their agendas.

You're missing the point. That seems to be the spokespersons concern in the video not mine. I don't care if they're unionized or not.

I do care that she like others in the education system repeatedly attempt to USE kids in their agendas.

I watched the first 2 minutes and the hatched job by the FOX bobbleheads.

She said that individual resident might not know best what is right for the children, from an educational standpoint (that last part was somewhat cut off but you can hear it) and they mischaracterized it.

It's not a serious news piece. They misrepresented what she said and had a little outrage tea party there...

Socialization and maturity? Are F%$^ing serious?

Schools could care less about academics these days. Your statement makes little sense, and is basically generic, feel good, pro-public school mantra.

This forum has gone downhill with too many pretenders pretending to know stuff they know nothing about. What a disgrace.

Socialization and maturity? Are F%$^ing serious?

Schools could care less about academics these days. Your statement makes little sense, and is basically generic, feel good, pro-public school mantra.

Here's the academic skills you need to do most jobs:

writing in English and basic math.

The things that make you employable are more social skills, and how to think. Schools teach this, and also how to be a good citizen.

This forum has gone downhill with too many pretenders pretending to know stuff they know nothing about. What a disgrace.

It's an opinion. Counter with yours or go watch TV....

we hear how a spokesman says educators are best for upbringing of children than parents!

who cares, the spokeman does not speak for teachers, he speaks for the union

Schools could care less about academics these days
Schools are rarely ehard these days, it is hard to coax a pile of bricks into saying anything.

But teachers have plenty to say, my wife being one of them, and I have never heard one that did not care a great deal about what they teach and how they teach it.

They would absolutely love to be able to teach academics and only academics in their classrooms, their jobs and lives would be much easier.

They have to be proxy parents though too sometimes, or they would simply not get anything done. Some kids cannot dress themselves, have had no breakfast, have no idea of how to conduct themselves in public, soil themselves and so on. Teachers have no choice at all but to manage these situations, and always have. I suspect they always will.

Kids are rarely a problem. Parents often are a problem. You don't need a license to breed.

who cares, the spokeman does not speak for teachers, he speaks for the union

Schools are rarely ehard these days, it is hard to coax a pile of bricks into saying anything.

But teachers have plenty to say, my wife being one of them, and I have never heard one that did not care a great deal about what they teach and how they teach it.

They would absolutely love to be able to teach academics and only academics in their classrooms, their jobs and lives would be much easier.

They have to be proxy parents though too sometimes, or they would simply not get anything done. Some kids cannot dress themselves, have had no breakfast, have no idea of how to conduct themselves in public, soil themselves and so on. Teachers have no choice at all but to manage these situations, and always have. I suspect they always will.

Kids are rarely a problem. Parents often are a problem. You don't need a license to breed.

Like any profession, there are good teachers and not so good teachers. I just find that public education is rotten to the core due in large part to the influence of educational ideologues who with great influence push their pet theories on gullible education officials who quickly adopt many unproven techniques. The kids are nothing more than guinea pigs, victims of countless experiments.

Giving a student an ipad and telling them to go do research is not teaching.

A teacher, who considers being a teacher a vocation and not just simply a job, needs a union as a fish needs a bicycle.

Sadly, most of the teachers today do not see it that way. If there were an oath for teachers, such as there is one for doctors (first, do no harm) most teachers today would be - rightfully - considered breaking their oath.

If there were a SECRET vote as to who wants to belong to a union, the honest, caring and conscientious teachers would vote NO.

The rest would be more concerned about doing as little as possible for as much as possible, about their already outrageous pensions and vacation and about scuttling any and all extracurricular activities for kids if it's not done by one of their fellow unionized buddies.

No wonder kids graduating from school have trouble signing their name. Hence Generation X.

Here's all you need to know about the Teacher's Unions. They care more about their jobs, and their power than they do about the education of children, especially poor children trapped in bad schools.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9QCc66kt9GQ

You are equating the people who run teachers unions with teachers in the classrooms. They are not the same people. Union activists are the same everywhere- they ixist to gain maximum advantage for their members. If anything gets in the way of that, they get steamrollered. No different from bakers unions, teamsters unions, lawyer unions or whatever.

But you cannot tar every teacher with that brush.

You are equating the people who run teachers unions with teachers in the classrooms. They are not the same people. Union activists are the same everywhere- they ixist to gain maximum advantage for their members. If anything gets in the way of that, they get steamrollered. No different from bakers unions, teamsters unions, lawyer unions or whatever.

But you cannot tar every teacher with that brush.

There are plenty of good teachers who are silenced for fear of losing their job. Like I said, i don't blame teachers for the fact that public education is rotten to the core. However, there seems to be more and more shitty teachers out there.

I found this article, and website in general to be very informative when wanting to debate education.

http://educhatter.wordpress.com/2012/02/12/the-muffled-voices-of-teachers-why-are-teachers-so-reluctant-to-speak-out-of-school/

Edited by lukin

There are plenty of good teachers who are silenced for fear of losing their job. Like I said, i don't blame teachers for the fact that public education is rotten to the core. However, there seems to be more and more shitty teachers out there.

I found this article, and website in general to be very informative when wanting to debate education.

http://educhatter.wordpress.com/2012/02/12/the-muffled-voices-of-teachers-why-are-teachers-so-reluctant-to-speak-out-of-school/

Thanks. I remember my 'good teachers' those that taught HOW TO LEARN, and where to look.

A few inspired and more simply got a teachers job and retired.

Wow that is nonsensical on so many levels.

My wife is an excellent teacher, and never shuts up about what matters to her: the quality of education. She takes it personally, every day. So do many of her colleagues. Certainly not all, but enough that Canada consistently ranks very high gloablly on independent international student achievement tests.

So, lets hear your theory on how the students manage to do that in a system that is rotten to the core.

Edited by fellowtraveller

Wow that is nonsensical on so many levels.

My wife is an excellent teacher, and never shuts up about what matters to her: the quality of education. She takes it personally, every day. So do many of her colleagues. Certainly not all, but enough that Canada consistently ranks very high gloablly on independent international student achievement tests.

So, lets hear your theory on how the students manage to do that in a system that is rotten to the core.

Certainly not 'rotten' to any degree. However, listening to kids, seeing them write, certainly suggests the educational system is/has deteriorated over the last 25years or so.

I doubt the kids of todays schooling are in the same class in any global achievement tests as they were a (school term) of generation or two ago.

And any teach I have met is more inclined to be bitching about their work and wages and their benefits than about any curriculum or responsibility to the education of their charges.