Who is the greatest Prime Minister of all time?

64 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

I find it odd that someone from the U.S. would find Canada getting its own flag "deplorable". So much so, I don't even believe it. Sometimes on the net you find these people who just make stuff up to get a rise out of people. I guess one should expect as much from a right-winger who tries to pretend he's a "radical left-winger". :lol:

• Replies 240
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

You mean stuff like "Canada got its own flag"? Canada already had its own flag prior to 1965. It just got a new one that year.

I believe what some here mean to say a flag without a "union Jack" somewhere on the flag.

Quebecs provincial flag is without the jack and maybe one or two others,I'm not sure.

As a side note there is one American state flag with the union jack-Hawaii

WWWTT

I find it odd that someone from the U.S. would find Canada getting its own flag "deplorable". So much so, I don't even believe it. Sometimes on the net you find these people who just make stuff up to get a rise out of people. I guess one should expect as much from a right-winger who tries to pretend he's a "radical left-winger". :lol:

It was the adoption of a party's logo as the flag that was deplorable, and the unrequited effort to appease one disloyal group.

Quebecs provincial flag is without the jack and maybe one or two others,I'm not sure.

There are quite a few without the Royal Union Flag incorporated in the design: Alberta, Saskatchewan, Quebec, Nova Scotia, New Brunswick, and Prince Edward Island. Newfoundland and Labrador is somewhere in the middle, since the RUF doesn't actually appear in the flag, but the design echoes that of the RUF.

The RUF, however, is actually an official flag of Canada; made such by an act of parliament in 1965.

As a side note there is one American state flag with the union jack-Hawaii.

That's correct.

The RUF, however, is actually an official flag of Canada; made such by an act of parliament in 1965.

Ceremonial. I know you wrote "an" official flag, rather than "the" official flag. I'm certain people will get hung up on the ambiguity. Our national state flag is the Maple Leaf. The Royal Union Flag is retained as an acknowledgement of our position within the Commonwealth and the monarchy.

It was the adoption of a party's logo as the flag that was deplorable, and the unrequited effort to appease one disloyal group.

If memory serves, the myth they sold us was that the maple leaf was adopted because the bright red British troops in the War of 1812 used maple boughs to cover their shame and try not to get shot. Might be true, who knows, but I find it strange that an American of any political persuasion would get so worked up over another nation's flag. As a westerner, I did note that I'd never actually seen a real maple leaf until my early 30s when I moved east, and that irony wasn't lost on me, but I never got that worked up about it. I used to put them in all the letters I wrote to family and friends back west so they could see what one really looked like.

So why do you get so worked up about our flag? And why do you hate Pearson? Did he steal your girlfriend in college or something?

You mean stuff like "Canada got its own flag"? Canada already had its own flag prior to 1965. It just got a new one that year.

Yeah, we did! Never got a chance to vote on it. It wasn't a campaign issue either. The Liberals just rammed it through.

I've never quite accepted the new flag. I loved the old one! I had relatives who fought under the old one. I was proud of our British heritage. The new flag always looked too red and kinda lameass to me.

Still, for better or worse we're stuck with it now. Whole generations have grown up knowing no other. After I die, who will care anyway?

utter nonsense! Flag proposals existed in many forms through a decades lead-up to Pearson's final initiative... there are historical websites that clearly show variants of flag proposals from the 30's and 40's that included some manner of the maple-leaf. From the Canadian Heritage website:

The maple leaf

Well before the coming of the first European settlers, Canada's aboriginal peoples had discovered the food properties of maple sap, which they gathered every spring. According to many historians, the maple leaf began to serve as a Canadian symbol as early as 1700.

Following are some examples of how the maple leaf grew in public consciousness as a symbol of our country until it finally became official on February 15, 1965, as an integral component of the national flag of Canada.

- leaf In 1834, Ludger Duvernay is reported to have proposed the maple leaf as an emblem of Canada when the Société Saint-Jean-Baptiste was founded on June 24 of that year.

- leaf In 1836, Le Canadien, a newspaper published in Lower Canada, referred to it as a suitable emblem for Canada.

- leaf In August 1860, at a public meeting held in Toronto, the maple leaf was adopted as the national emblem of Canada for use in the decorations for the Prince of Wales' visit.

- leaf In 1867, Alexander Muir, a Toronto schoolmaster and poet, composed the song The Maple Leaf Forever.

- leaf In 1914, many Canadian soldiers wore the maple leaf on their military badges, and it was the dominant symbol used by many Canadian regiments serving in the Great World War I.

- leaf In 1939, at the beginning of World War II, numerous Canadian troops once again used the maple leaf as a distinctive emblem, displaying it on regimental badges and Canadian army and naval equipment.

there is also no shortage of historical material related to the 'great Canadian flag debate'. Through all of what I've just read this past while, I've not read a single reference to any raised concern over the, as you say, "adoption of a party's logo"... which kind of leads me pondering just when was the red-maple leaf incorporated into the Liberal party through the many logo variants its had over the years. Should we also highlight that the official logo of the Conservative party also includes a red-maple leaf, hey?

one flag debate item that consistently shows up is over color - the red of the maple-leaf... apparently, concerns relative to the Liberal party color. However, from the same Heritage Canada website:

Red and white: Canada's national colours

History records that in the first crusade, Bohemund I, a Norman lord, had red crosses cut from his mantles and distributed to the 10,000 crusaders, who then wore them as a distinctive badge on their garments.

In subsequent crusades, each nation was distinguished by a cross of a different colour. France long had a red cross on its banners while England used a white cross. Time and again in history, red and white are found as the colours of France or of England.

Red and white were approved as Canada's official colours in the proclamation of the royal arms of Canada in 1921 by King George V.

In 1957, the colour of the maple leaves on the shield of the Royal Arms of Canada was changed from green on a white ground to red on a white ground in recognition of Canada's official colours.

... and as a final rebuke to your nonsense, this is actually the flag Pearson personally favoured and lobbied for... with the blue bars intended to signify 'from sea to sea'.

... and as a final rebuke to your nonsense, this is actually the flag Pearson personally favoured and lobbied for... with the blue bars intended to signify 'from sea to sea'.

I won't argue, Waldo. You seem to have your facts right.

However, I still miss the old one and always will! I believe we lost more than we gained from the change.

I recognize I may represent a plurality of maybe a few hundred other Canadians. Doesn't matter. I'm entitled to my opinion and I'll likely go to my grave with it.