There's hope!- Zillionaires pick up where NASA ended!

There's hope! This could be a giant shot in the arm!

http://sync.sympatico.ca/news/contentposting.htm?newsitemid=15590525&feedname=cp-science&show=false&number=10&showbyline=true&abc=abc&pagenumber=4

"SEATTLE - The tycoons of cyberspace are looking to bankroll America's resurgence in outer space, reviving "Star Trek" dreams that first interested them in science.

Microsoft co-founder Paul Allen made the latest step Tuesday, unveiling plans for a new commercial spaceship that, instead of blasting off a launch pad, would be carried high into the atmosphere by the widest plane ever built before it fires its rockets.

He joins Silicon Valley powerhouses Elon Musk of PayPal and Jeff Bezos of Amazon.com Inc. in a new private space race that attempts to fill the gap left when the U.S. government ended the space shuttle program."

"People who are hungry, people who are starving, they matter more than your..."

spy telescopes

Space enterprise could feed ALL the hungry and supply them all with clean energy!

You would keep us in the trees, bitching that we're running out of leaves!

Space enterprise could feed ALL the hungry and supply them all with clean energy!

You would keep us in the trees, bitching that we're running out of leaves!

Space enterprise on the scale your suggesting likely takes the concerted effort of an entire species leveraging most of the resources of their planet to do so. I think we might have blown our opportunity by squandering our's on creating the 1% and the effort to expand that to encompass another 5 - 10% will surely exhaust what's left. I suppose a handful of bil/tril and zillionaires might have the means to live the dream but I think they'll soon find that what's as true below is even more true above, it's one thing to reach a pinnacle on your own but to stay there requires a collective effort.

Space enterprise on the scale your suggesting likely takes the concerted effort of an entire species leveraging most of the resources of their planet to do so. I think we might have blown our opportunity by squandering our's on creating the 1% and the effort to expand that to encompass another 5 - 10% will surely exhaust what's left. I suppose a handful of bil/tril and zillionaires might have the means to live the dream but I think they'll soon find that what's as true below is even more true above, it's one thing to reach a pinnacle on your own but to stay there requires a collective effort.

Well, China apparently doesn't agree with you! They're on their way to having a manned Moon base! And they intend to make a lot of money at it!

You have to study the issue to realize that the expensive part is just getting up there (and even that is getting cheaper!). Once you're there it's relatively cheap to do all kinds of things that will make you as rich as Croesus!

Things that I never imagined until I started reading about it. One is ball bearings! Apparently, you can make ball bearings in zero g orbits that are perfectly round - better by a factor of a 'zillion' than anything we can make on earth. Perfect ball bearings can make transmissions that are FAR more efficient, among other things! Those alone could make someone a billionaire!

If companies like Bonam's SpaceX lower the payload cost to the point where a reasonable number of manufacturing companies can afford it I think we will see an explosion of enterprise in earth orbit, let alone based on the Moon. It would happen almost overnight.

One constant about business is no one wants to be the first at something new. It's expensive and requires opening up your mind to recognize an opportunity in an unfamiliar area.

That being said, no one wants to be SECOND!

Edited by Wild Bill

Sadly, SpaceX isn't my company. I'm not Elon Musk.

Other than that, much agreed with your post :) Launch costs per unit mass are certainly the greatest limiting factor on space enterprise and exploration.

:P Of course I know, Bonam! I was referring to SpaceX as the company you work for, or as the enterprize you champion, or as in 'my county'.

Ownership as in a collective idea, not (sadly!) as millions in your pocket! :lol:

Speaking of SpaceX, less than two months til they send their Dragon spacecraft to dock with the ISS.

http://www.dailytech.com/SpaceX+to+Make+ISS+Endeavor+in+February+2012/article23491.htm

Amazingly, they are months ahead of their original schedule. How often could NASA say that about a project?

Won't they have to slow down and do some more "weightlessness experiments"? B)