Conservatives concoct their own creepy reality

Shwa

Sophistry. Instead of arguing the ideas he simply says they are 'not based on reality' which only shows that he does not understand people with a different the frame of reference. It is a personal attack on people with conservative views.

Ya but they do kinda go out of their way to create their own weird reality.

(but I will say again that liberals are also guilty of this, but not quite as reactionary)

Ya but they do kinda go out of their way to create their own weird reality.
No worse than rabble.ca, the tyee or even the huff po. Humans create realities to justify their beliefs. The Internet has made this process more efficient than ever before by creating independent universes of like minded people. Very few people are willing to take the "red pill" and see the world for what it is rather than what they would like it to be.

My only objection to this piece is the author is clearly ignorant of the "creepy false realities" that his own world view depends on and his snide insistence that his views are "reality based" when they are no more valid that those of the conservatives that he criticizes.

My only objection to this piece is the author is clearly ignorant of the "creepy false realities" that his own world view depends on and his snide insistence that his views are "reality based" when they are no more valid that those of the conservatives that he criticizes.

It's funny how Shwa actually responded to this already, but you continue to ignore reality. You seem to be having a difficult time understanding this article. Let me repost what Shwa said for you. Perhaps the second time around will help, so you can stop making this argument that is clearly wrong and illogical.

No where in the OP or linked article is there any hint that this is "a trait unique to conservatives." In fact, Caplan writes, "Of course the Republicans have no monopoly on inventing imaginary new worlds" Note Caplan's use of the phrase, 'of course' generally used to denote an obvious and well known notion.

So, TimG, you either didn't read the article and assumed it's content, which makes you out to appear like an ineffectual fool, or you willfully ignored Caplan's 'of course' whichs makes you out to appear like an ineffectual fool. Or it may have been any number of reasons in between, with the ultimate result being you look like... etc.

Of course, any rational person can pick up on your limp effort at creating distracting strawmen, which is one of those problems with extreme right wing conservatism hinted at by Caplan. It's creepy. And self-professed-libertarian or not, you fit right in.

It's funny how Shwa actually responded to this already, but you continue to ignore reality.
Funny how you seem to be incapable of understanding an argument and make up strawmen. I stated clearly that the problem I have is the *author* is oblivious to how his *own* world view depends on creepy invented realities. Referencing text where the author claims that unnamed "others" also do this does not address my point at all.

Riiight... because the "others" he's talking about, in contrast to Republicans, isn't Democrats. Ok. It's just some random unnamed other, but certainly not the left.
We don't know. He is vague. But the wording is clear: he is not including himself in that list which is my reason for criticizing him.