Doug Ford suggests schools explore UFC-linked program

Shwa

Reached by phone, Doug Ford declined to comment, citing Mayor Rob Ford’s policy of not talking to the Star.

Of course this story isn't about Doug Ford circulating "a brochure touting an initiative called UFC Community Works" in the same week that bullying has been an important topic of interest,

The email was sent Thursday, one day after Premier Dalton McGuinty announced bold new anti-bullying legislation that seeks to curb aggressive behaviour in Ontario schools. Some TDSB trustees were left questioning the sense of proposing a program backed by UFC.

It is all about the Star and their dispute with Doug's bro, the Mayor. At least I am sure Doug would prefer it be about that. But it isn't and now Doug has stepped in it again now looking like a complete idiot.

• Replies 51
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

You know what's another sport that is violent, aggressive and usually leaves its players with teeth loss? That's right, hockey. We really should ban hockey players from interacting with school children. And the thought that Muhammad Ali being a bad influence on our children. How about those parents who send their kids to Kung Fu class or Karate? Are they teaching their kids how to bully? What a bunch of hypocrites!

And where was the Star when Dalton lifted UFC ban and made it an legitimate sport in Ontario? Is he an idiot too? That might be something I can actually agree with.

Edited by Archanfel

You know what's another sport that is violent, aggressive and usually leaves its players with teeth loss? That's right, hockey. We really should ban hockey players from interacting with school children. And the thought that Muhammad Ali being a bad influence on our children. How about those parents who send their kids to Kung Fu class or Karate? Are they teaching their kids how to bully? What a bunch of hypocrites!

And where was the Star when Dalton lifted UFC ban and made it an legitimate sport in Ontario? Is he an idiot too? That might be something I can actually agree with. How about

Nice rant bro.

And comparing UFC with hockey is, well, a joke. :rolleyes:

Of course this story isn't about Doug Ford circulating "a brochure touting an initiative called UFC Community Works" in the same week that bullying has been an important topic of interest,

It is all about the Star and their dispute with Doug's bro, the Mayor. At least I am sure Doug would prefer it be about that. But it isn't and now Doug has stepped in it again now looking like a complete idiot.

So what's your take here? Is it wrong for them to be advocating the UFC or not?

BTW

UFC has become notorious for its brutal, bloody, no-holds barred fighting. Mixed martial arts events were banned in Ontario until this year.

What a stupid line! There are rules in the UFC and what fighting sport doesn't have the chance of seeing blood?

So what's your take here? Is it wrong for them to be advocating the UFC or not?

So what's your take here, do you understand English or not? :rolleyes: "them" aren't advocating anything, Doug Ford is.

What a stupid line! There are rules in the UFC and what fighting sport doesn't have the chance of seeing blood?

So do you believe that "community programs" in schools should be sponsored by a particular brand of "fighting sport?"

Edited by Shwa

If you can have Football and Hockey players do that then yes I think it's OK for UFC fighters to do PSA or whatever is being asked of them.

OK, then please cite where the NHL or CFL sponsors "community programs" for schools in Toronto.

Did you actually comprehend the article?

According to the brochure, the program promotes “the development of discipline, respect, teamwork, honesty, time management and physical fitness” through mixed martial arts training and meetings with UFC fighters.

Yeah sounds pretty horrible. Kids can never benefit from those things.

I'm listening to Tom Wright (former CFL commissioner) current UFC Canada Chair on Newstalk 1010. He's saying this program is more of a community outreach program and not meant to "teach fighting in school".

Of course the great journalist at The Star didn't think to call him or anything. :rolleyes:

So, in other words, you didn't comprehend the article? :rolleyes:

The Lead of the story focuses around program itself.

Then they miss-characterize the UFC.

Then they mention the ball ban at a TDSB school.

Then they quote TDSB people that think it's a horrible idea.

Then they reveal more information about the program.

Then finally they highlight that ultimately the program is about promoting the sport at a grassroots level. Which, of course, is then painted as selling advertising in school.

Oh and the Ford's hate the Star.

Did I miss anything?

Oh I see where you're going here. You don't really want to debate the issue of UFC.

Please highlight how Doug stepped in it here. I'll hang up and listen.

Oh I see where you're going here. You don't really want to debate the issue of UFC.

Please highlight how Doug stepped in it here. I'll hang up and listen.

Since you didn't actually comprehend the actual story. :rolleyes:

The email was sent Thursday, one day after Premier Dalton McGuinty announced bold new anti-bullying legislation that seeks to curb aggressive behaviour in Ontario schools. Some TDSB trustees were left questioning the sense of proposing a program backed by UFC.

Seriously dude, don't blame the Star if you can't read.

Seriously dude, don't blame the Star if you can't read.

Seriously dude, what does the UFC have to do with Bullying?

Lots of aggressive sports are played in schools. Many school-aged kids are also enrolled in martial-arts.

Just because you've pigeon-holed your own opinion of "what this story means" doesn't mean it's true or even the consensus on the issue.

http://www.globaltoronto.com/sound-off/6442535667/story.html

Councillor Doug Ford thinks mixed martial arts has a place in schools as part of an anti-bullying initiative. With Canadian star Georges St. Pierre a role-model among fighting fans, Councillor Doug Ford thinks that mixed martial arts has a place in schools saying, “no matter if it's a football player, hockey player, UFC athlete, these kids look up to these athletes. If we can promote anti-bullying, it's a good thing.”

But can mixed martial arts be used to combat bullying in schools? Jake Shields, a fighter in the UFC thinks it can, even crediting it with keeping him out of fights when he was younger, saying “you get in less fights because you don't feel you have to prove anything.”

Despite the endorsement from a popular fighter in the UFC, the Chair of the Toronto District School Board, Chris Bolton, questions if mixed martial arts should be in schools. “It’s not what we want to portray as a school board to our students, our families and our other learners,” Chris Bolton said.

Read it on Global News: Global Toronto | Doug Ford wants to promote anti-bullying with mixed martial arts

Edited by Boges

Seriously dude, what does the UFC have to do with Bullying?

Lots of aggressive sports are played in schools. Many school-aged kids are also enrolled in martial-arts.

Just because you've pigeon-holed your own opinion of "what this story means" doesn't mean it's true or even the consensus on the issue.

“It’s not what we want to portray as a school board to our students, our families and our other learners,” Chris Bolton said.

Looks like some other people have "pigeon-holed" their opinion too. That is, judging from the story you supplied. :rolleyes:

We've been promoting Tae Kwon Do, Judo, Karate, and Wrestling to kids for generations.

Yup. There was Judo and Karate workshops at my school.

The thing is that the UFC is still a divisive sport and some people just dont like it. It will take a while for people to get used to.

Until you consider the number of injuries suffered in hockey versus UFC.

Based on the number of participants and the nature of the sport, the injury rate in UFC is much higher than hockey, likey to the point of no compare.

No one has ended up paralyzed or dead in the UFC for starters.

No, but they have died in MMA and that is with a much better thing to compare it to.

And I don't think anyone is going to be using the schools to promote MMA right after the Premier announced anti-bullying legislation either. :rolleyes:

Also, since UFC has only been around since 1993 and hockey has been around for over 150 years, give UFC time.

So what's your point in relation to the OP? Do you actually have one?

Well UFC is just a popular way to combine different martial arts. It hasn't shaken it's no-holds-bar blood sport image from the early 90's I guess but it's a different sport. There are rules, some fans would consider them restrictive rules.

Boxing has been a popular sport for a long time now. I'm sure had a politician found a way to get Mohamed Ali to come into school and promote good things like leadership, fitness, understanding etc. I don't think there'd be a huge outcry.

Have you seen Ali? The whole reason he's a physical mess is because he's taken too many punches in the face.

It's common for Pro Football players not to make it past the age of 60 because of all the head injuries they take. Many hockey players have died recently and head injuries have been to blame.

Just because MMA is a combat sport doesn't mean the participants can't be role models. I'd imagine many children would benefit from looking up to a guy like GSP.

Well UFC is just a popular way to combine different martial arts. It hasn't shaken it's no-holds-bar blood sport image from the early 90's I guess but it's a different sport. There are rules, some fans would consider them restrictive rules.

Boxing has been a popular sport for a long time now. I'm sure had a politician found a way to get Mohamed Ali to come into school and promote good things like leadership, fitness, understanding etc. I don't think there'd be a huge outcry.

Have you seen Ali? The whole reason he's a physical mess is because he's taken too many punches in the face.

It's common for Pro Football players not to make it past the age of 60 because of all the head injuries they take. Many hockey players have died recently and head injuries have been to blame.

Just because MMA is a combat sport doesn't mean the participants can't be role models. I'd imagine many children would benefit from looking up to a guy like GSP.

I am still waiting for you to come up with the proof that the NHL, CFL, CBA or any other sporting body has "community programs" to help build character in Toronto school children.

Did you come up with anything yet? Nah, of course you didn't. :rolleyes:

Maybe you could see if the WWF has something in the works?

But that is beside the point. Hockey is not the same type of sport as UFC and linking them in this way, after the Premier just made anti-bullying a priority is disengenuous on your part.