CBC loses court case

Boges

• Replies 186
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Like Mulroney in '88? :rolleyes:

No that doesn't count because it doesn't fit into his worldview of Conservatives being evil.

It's funny because Liberals will also be-moan the fact that the CPC only got around 40% nationally.

Totally ignoring that the massive majorities by the Chretien Liberals in the 90's never got more than 50%.

The last PM to get more than 50% was Mulroney in 88. And the last PM to win a majority not being from Quebec was Defenbaker.

Edited by Boges

I agree……..when I see a Ken Burns documentary on PBS, or Frontline, Nova and Nature, I can’t help but think, why isn’t CBC doing this……..instead we get Little Mosque, Dragon’s Den and Don Cherry

Sure, but there is quite a bit on PBS I don't watch too. Little Mosque is syndicated so it generates revenue, Dragon's Den is one of the highest rated shows in Canada during the week and Don Cherry, well, he'll be there until he turns into a mad Howie Meeker.

CBC could help produce more docs, but they also have the doc channel and it is pretty good. Nature of Things is usually pretty good. Fifth Estate can have some good shows and stir it up from time to time.

What I really detest is 'Being Erica.' For the life of me I can't figure out who in the hell cares to watch that crap. It makes me angry just thinking about it. :angry:

No that doesn't count because it doesn't fit into his worldview of Conservatives being evil.

It's funny because Liberals will also be-moan the fact that the CPC only got around 40% nationally.

Totally ignoring that the massive majorities by the Chretien Liberals in the 90's never got more than 50%.

The last PM to get more than 50% was Mulroney in 88. And the last PM to win a majority not being from Quebec was Defenbaker.

Both PMs Diefenbaker and Mulroney were Progressive Conservatives, not to be confused with the current Conservative Party of Canada.

Both PMs Diefenbaker and Mulroney were Progressive Conservatives, not to be confused with the current Conservative Party of Canada.

OK there buddy.

Did the Reform party not break off from the PCs.

That same PC Party never moved past 5th place once the Reform/Alliance contingent wasn't voting for them.

Guest Derek L

Sure, but there is quite a bit on PBS I don't watch too. Little Mosque is syndicated so it generates revenue, Dragon's Den is one of the highest rated shows in Canada during the week and Don Cherry, well, he'll be there until he turns into a mad Howie Meeker.

CBC could help produce more docs, but they also have the doc channel and it is pretty good. Nature of Things is usually pretty good. Fifth Estate can have some good shows and stir it up from time to time.

What I really detest is 'Being Erica.' For the life of me I can't figure out who in the hell cares to watch that crap. It makes me angry just thinking about it. :angry:

Yes, Nature of things is good, and I also enjoy Passionate Eye…..granted many of their docs are not CBC produced……..How about CBC commissioning Ken Burns to make a doc on Confederation? Or the Railroad?

I can already here said documentary being narrated by Donald Sutherland, Dan Aykroyd, Michael J Fox, William Shatner and Kim Cattrall ………How about Mike Myers with his Scottish accent for Shrek John A Macdonald.

OK there buddy.

Did the Reform party not break off from the PCs.

That same PC Party never moved past 5th place once the Reform/Alliance contingent wasn't voting for them.

It's not that simple though. You could just as easily say the Bloc broke off from the PCs. And many PCs moved to the Liberals.

Guest Derek L

I can't make any sure statements but I do think that many Muslim voters who might prioritize foreign policy or economics over social policy would be more likely to vote on the left.

How many Canadians, of any political stripe, prioritize foreign affairs over domestic policy? Outside of political junkies such as ourselves, I’m sure most Canadians vote on what they feel directly affect them.

Yes, Nature of things is good, and I also enjoy Passionate Eye…..granted many of their docs are not CBC produced……..How about CBC commissioning Ken Burns to make a doc on Confederation? Or the Railroad?

I can already here said documentary being narrated by Donald Sutherland, Dan Aykroyd, Michael J Fox, William Shatner and Kim Cattrall ………How about Mike Myers with his Scottish accent for Shrek John A Macdonald.

Sure Ken Burns, but I would also think that James Cameron would be into something like that too. James Cameron's 'War of 1812.' I am so there. :D

Guest Derek L

It's not that simple though. You could just as easily say the Bloc broke off from the PCs. And many PCs moved to the Liberals.

But, the Reform CPC has had to steadily shift left center to appeal to more voters.

Guest Derek L

Sure Ken Burns, but I would also think that James Cameron would be into something like that too. James Cameron's 'War of 1812.' I am so there. :D

Add a killer robot terminating the white house, blue aliens inhabiting Fort Detroit and a sappy love storey between the children of Madison & Brock, that “ultimately ended the conflict” (Historic licence) and you’ve got my vote!!

Guest Derek L

Well, if the point is just that it's possible for the CPC to win another majority, I can totally buy that. Didn't mean to defend olp1fan's assertions.

It will defiantly become a balancing act…….go too far left center to appeal to further voters, and risk alienating the Jesus Magicians and Albertans…….Divert from a populist approach to most policy, and risk the vote rich center………Brian tried, well also courting Quebec and failed……..Harper has proven that you can govern without Quebec (not against mind you) and walk the tight rope………I think the real question will be, what will happen when Harper retires.

It will defiantly become a balancing act…….go too far left center to appeal to further voters, and risk alienating the Jesus Magicians and Albertans…….Divert from a populist approach to most policy, and risk the vote rich center………Brian tried, well also courting Quebec and failed……..Harper has proven that you can govern without Quebec (not against mind you) and walk the tight rope………I think the real question will be, what will happen when Harper retires.

youre assuming the 39% of the canadians who didnt vote will either

not vote or will vote conservative

they can easily vote liberal

Guest Derek L

youre assuming the 39% of the canadians who didnt vote will either

not vote or will vote conservative

they can easily vote liberal

And you’re assuming that they will vote……Is there data referencing the political preference of those that can’t be bothered to vote?

Guest Derek L

4 years of dictator harper and his gang of rogue cons will push up the voting % to the 80s

Another hunch?

Why didn’t they vote in the last federal election? The Tories, promised their crime bill, the F-35, prisons, cuts to government spending, scraping the long gun registry, all well involved in Libya, and it didn’t seem to trigger a response in terms of voter turnout………Now they are delivering (to a degree) or in the process of, on what they spoke about……..What has changed between then and now…..we’re talking a mater of months………I’d say the biggest impact on the next federal election, that has occurred to date, will be the death of Jack Layton.

The next federal election battle will be between the Liberals and NDP fighting for title of official opposition……

The real question for the next election will be if the Liberal Party can claw back the left of center and progressive vote from the NDP…….

you're a con.. cons don't debate, they read their talking points

Sorta like the ones where you call Harper a dictator and assume he'll fuck up the country?

I'll make a claim. In four years the Global economy will finally be turning around and Harper will get credit for it. Prove me wrong!