How do others see/perceive/know you?

I once asked my grandfather if he could understand other people; that is, if he could put himself in their shoes. He answered me that if he tried to do that, he would go crazy - virer fou, as my mother would translate his answer. Understanding another human being is hard. Pretending to be one is harder.

So why this fear of "identity theft"? Dunno but I have two possible explanations.

First, while we are 6 billion on this planet, we see our own life as different from all the others. Yet most of the other 6 billion view us indifferently. To them, we are just a face in the crowd.

Second, we have distinct identifiers. The colour of our skin or eyes, our ability to speak languages, accents.

I am surprised that banks/credit card firms don't use these methods to identify us.

----

When I deal with credit card companies or other 800 number call centres, I generally speak in French. I make a point of talking with the person about the weather where I am and ask where they are, and what the weather is like there. I ask them to note this comment. ("We cannot answer that question but I am in Niagara, Moncton. It's sunny today.") I sometimes choose "1" for English (they're in Calcutta then) rather than "2" for French so that my remarks are recorded differently.

Whether English or French, regardless of weather, I ask them: "What do you think of my accent?" I ask them to note this in their records, wherever they are.

Like Icelanders, people in Quebec are largely protected from ID theft because we are distinct. English-Canadians are possibly protected also, moreso if they can speak fluent, accented French. We Canadians are distinct in North America.

The end result is that if thieves found a Canadian passport, credit card or driver's licence with a typically WASP or French-Canadian name, there would be no value in the document. The accent in either language makes identity theft difficult.

Edited by August1991

The end result is that if thieves found a Canadian passport, credit card or driver's licence with a typically WASP or French-Canadian name, there would be no value in the document. The accent in either language makes identity theft difficult.

Yes, because as everyone knows, the clerk is listening for your accent when you swipe your credit card. :rolleyes:

Not to mention that plenty of French Canadians have English last names and vice versa. I know a few Leblancs that can't speak a lick of French.

ID theft in the real world can be dealt with, but not in the virtual world. A while back I used to post on this very large sight - did it for quite a while - then suddenly they got rid of me - it was all about readership and advertisement...so -a couple of years down the road I return to the site to see what is going on - there low and behold is a person that continued on with my pen name and was posting as if he were me...To take credit for something you do not do is theft. Worst part is that no one will be able to tell the differnece - this person could post vile and dangerous things - and it can come back to haunt the person who's ID was virtually stolen.

Yes, because as everyone knows, the clerk is listening for your accent when you swipe your credit card. :rolleyes:

Not to mention that plenty of French Canadians have English last names and vice versa. I know a few Leblancs that can't speak a lick of French.

Shwa, you have probably never faced a situation of ID theft. (I haven't.)

From what I know, I doubt that a store clerk swiping a credit card is the issue.

The problem is talking to your car/house insurance company or your local bank branch: they don't believe that you claim to be who you are. In small towns, and in small societies (ie. in Quebec), this is not generally an issue.

In big cities or large societies, and if you have a common name, it is a problem.

Shwa, English Canada is increasingly a "large society" where no one knows anyone else, and no one speaks to anyone.

----

If I were a thief, I would prefer an ID/credit card with Joseph Bruce Smith rather than Pierre Tremblay. But I would avoid using a card with the name Pierre Smith or Bruce Tremblay.

Hence, in my credit card/bank dealings, I generally choose to speak in French and then switch to English. Several agents have noted this in their comments.

----

Shwa, I guess you miss the broader point here. It's better to be distinct. That notions applies to Canada wrt the US, and Quebec wrt Canada.

Edited by August1991

Walk into a bank that does not know you - with a cheque issued by that bank - and they will percieve you as a thief. They will put a hold on their own cheque. In a more closed and smaller environ - where people know you - it is better. Nothing worse than being treated like a crook by some bureaucrat that denys you your own money.