G O D

Just wondering about mortal opion in regards to that which is immortal? Can we really from a human perspective imagine or describe what we are not? For thousands of years human beings have attempted to give this thing the all mighty a face and personality. Usually they stick a human face and human attributes on God and understandibly so, seeing only humans are aware of this eternal and all powerful force. I doubt very much if a dog or a cockroach ever poders on the eternal. It is us that are given and granted the god like curse of awareness of the infinite.

Humans that are atheistic will say if there was a God that bad things would not happen to good people. This approach appears to be popular because the population of earth that thinks - thinks in temporal and finite terms. Myself I don't believe that God gives a damn if a child dies or a good person is struck down...simply because God does not believe in death. Only us mere mortals are concerned with death If two dogs are wandering down the road and one is killed by a car, the other does not say to itself why did God allow my good compaion to be squished...The dog understands something negative has happened and is on it's merry way.

So is it impossible for us to describe the character of God seeing that he probably does not have one - or need one? Being human bares with it the unhappiness that comes with self awareness and awareness of eternity - when an old dog is ready for death...it rolls over and dies - humans because they are aware of the END and fear not being - mostly enter death in a state of sheer terror or peaceful submission...Maybe dogs are more immortal in their thinking than we?

This is going to be big and a lot of fun - when started a thread regarding British Petroleum - people who Googled it in part came here for a look - I wonder how many people on earth Google themselves? Probably more than those that Google GOD. So lets see what happens - with the BP thread we had almost 17 thousand views...bet you this one will bring just as many _ GOD willing.

After personally googling God I found out that there was more about there being no God than there is about being a God...so lets travel back in time to the word GOD....orignally in the English language the word good was spelled with one o. god...in other words what is good is GOD and bad is where god does not exist. God only exists where we permit him too.. That's odd in the sense of the quantum theory of it all that the all powerful is powerless..again power is a human construct. It makes you wonder why Christ paniced and did not save himself...could it be that God is so powerful he can make himself helpless...and not have the power to return to power...it's all so strange but fancinating. Because he is not of the physical sphere - our laws of phyicis do not apply. WHAT if god were one of us..just another slob sitting on the bus - to para phrase.

But after all is said and done...and all my teeth have fallen out - and all of my earthly youth and beauty have faded...and I am of no use to humanity - and I lay there alone on my death bed....I will surely give God a call....to get me the hell out of here.....at the end....that last communication is the one that will save you. No human being wants to enter into oblivion...Interestingly enough oblivion means to be forgotten.

Oh oh. there is lighting outside my window - think I will go out and see if I can recharge my battery. Go easy on me God I know you like that ancient and theatrical use of natural electrical power - just don't hit me in the head please........

• 2 weeks later...

It's like rain on your wedding day.

It's a free ride when you've already paid.

It's the good advice that you just didn't take.

It's a traffic jam when you're already late.

It's a no-smoking sign on your cigarette break.

It's like ten thousand spoons when all you need is a knife.

It's like meeting the man of my dreams then meeting his beautiful wife.

Edited by cybercoma

My wife is ugly and I am too old - God is a cruel jokester. He makes you immortal as a child - then he creates total confusion in you as a teen - Then an overly ambtious and crazed adult...Then - he - puts your body in a de- beautification process..worste of all - You look into the toilet bowl after your morning crap - and wonder - What kind of silly idea is that?

I like your description - You have quite the abstract mind. God to me is like ten thousand spoons when I need a knife....and discover that the steak is already eaten and all that is in the fridge are fifty servings of pudding.

Rain on your wedding day is beautiful - If it is a warm summer rain and the sun beams though on occassion..followed by a rainbow...and the smell of the sweet green earth. Just be happy it's your wedding and stop worrying about weather.

My wife is ugly and I am too old - God is a cruel jokester. He makes you immortal as a child - then he creates total confusion in you as a teen - Then an overly ambtious and crazed adult...Then - he - puts your body in a de- beautification process..worste of all - You look into the toilet bowl after your morning crap - and wonder - What kind of silly idea is that?

I like your description - You have quite the abstract mind. God to me is like ten thousand spoons when I need a knife....and discover that the steak is already eaten and all that is in the fridge are fifty servings of pudding.

Oleg, he's quoting a really crappy song by an equaly crappy singer. The main flaw of the song is that these things are supposed to be ironic and in fact are really not ironic at all.

As for your initial question. Which god? Humans have invented many stories about many gods and still do so till this day. For myself I like the ones about the Norse gods, and the Flying Spaghetti Monster, thats a good one.

Just wondering about mortal opion in regards to that which is immortal? Can we really from a human perspective imagine or describe what we are not?

We have never not been anything but that which is all around and within us.

I've always appreciated the notion that awareness is the universe's way of appreciating itself. I'm downright thankful for it in fact.

Edited by eyeball

Oleg, he's quoting a really crappy song by an equaly crappy singer. The main flaw of the song is that these things are supposed to be ironic and in fact are really not ironic at all.

As for your initial question. Which god? Humans have invented many stories about many gods and still do so till this day. For myself I like the ones about the Norse gods, and the Flying Spaghetti Monster, thats a good one.

Was wondering why it did not make sense - I did my best to appreicate the "crappy song" - you would think that the person would at least give and original personal thought on the concept?

Never liked or understood the mulitiple god aspect - those are definitely human adventures and creations..I was hoping someone would describe the all mighty singular force and intelligence that is all of existance...The flying spaghetti monster is nice...we could run with that but then I would rather have a more serious thought on the matter.

We have never not been anything but that which is all around and within us.

I've always appreciated the notion that awareness is the universe's way of appreciating itself. I'm downright thankful for it in fact.

That's pretty close...looks like we are getting somewhere now. Awareness is the key to the mystery..that fact that we are aware - leads me to believe that it - the universe or the God factor is aware - How if we are so small and insignificant be aware...and the vastness of eternity which is hube - not be aware? It does not make sense that God would be utterly dumbfounded...or maybe he is and that is the hightest state - plain stupid.

Also - plaguristic approaches to this thread might also be a clue - Perhaps God is like a very skilled carpenter and we are just the little tiny boy hammering nails into a board attempting to immitate dad? Like for instance all the worlds great artists are like this little kid - art attempts to immitate nature - but never quite reaches the glory and power of nature - which would be God's art...Or the sound of the wind going through the forest - what symphonic human creation in music could match this intricate cascade of sound? Just looked up at the title "Replying to GOD" - kind of cute..maybe by simply asking our selves we might get some answers? After a long study of humnan documentations on the concept of God - I remember finally taking the books and putting them away and murmering to myself " The truth is within you" - we don't need books...Like Christ the great thinker said "The kingdom of heaven is in you".

• 3 weeks later...