Is Harper going after the unions?

Median income? I highly doubt it.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Median_household_income

http://www40.statcan.ca/l01/cst01/famil108a-eng.htm

Instead of trying to wingman for your Con chum you ought to do some real research.

It's sad some people in this world feel the need to ruin peoples livelihoods.

Edited by Battletoads

• Replies 280
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Median income in Canada is 58K, good to see you can't even research basic facts.

:lol: So out of touch.

Who the fuck is going to be a postie for 20K a year? Yeah let me head on out into some minus 40 weather to scrape in 12 bucks an hour.

the same people who deliver newspapers for that amount at 3am.

The fact that you would compare a letter carriers job to that of a cashier shows how laughably stupid your argument is.

Have you been to a Canada Post location? They have cashiers.

Edited by CPCFTW

So out of touch.

Seems stats can supports one of our positions. I'll give you one hint as to which one, it's not yours.

the same people who deliver newspapers for that amount at 3am.

Feel free to link me to a real job posting asking the employee to deliver papers door to door at 3am for $12/h. Nothing? Thought so.

Have you been to a Canada Post location? They have cashiers.

A few of the 50k employees are cashiers... Exception, not the rule. Not that I expect you mind to be able to comprehend the difference.

Why would you include those without jobs in the calculation of the average salary?

Income, not salary. The link you gave has nothing to do with salary. It measures total income of those with jobs. Other sources use the entire working age population. Either way, your 58k figure is, to be polite, bull.

Income, not salary. The link you gave has nothing to do with salary. It measures total income of those with jobs. Other sources use the entire working age population. Either way, your 58k figure is, to be polite, bull.

Feel free to provide some evidence to back the con claim that 50k is out of line. Seriously.

And no, "I think the job is easy" does not count as evidence.

Also, now that I look the average income is more around 69K.

Seems stats can supports one of our positions. I'll give you one hint as to which one, it's not yours.

hint: http://www40.statcan.ca/l01/cst01/famil105a-eng.htm (pre-recession personal income levels around 25-28k)

Feel free to link me to a real job posting asking the employee to deliver papers door to door at 3am for $12/h. Nothing? Thought so.

Open a newspaper, go to the classified section, find the ad saying "looking for couriers to deliver your city's Sun/Citizen, etc.", call the number and ask the guy for a job. There's your evidence.

A few of the 50k employees are cashiers... Exception, not the rule. Not that I expect you mind to be able to comprehend the difference.

While we're digging up stats, why don't you provide evidence that only "a few" of the 50k + DB pension employees are cashiers.

Edited by CPCFTW

Feel free to provide some evidence to back the con claim that 50k is out of line. Seriously.

And no, "I think the job is easy" does not count as evidence.

Also, now that I look the average income is more around 69K.

Average hourly rate:

Retail Sales / Sales Clerk $11

Data Entry Clerk $15

Bookkeeper $16

Accounting Clerk $17

Truck Driver $19

Plumber $22

Carpenter $22

Executive Assistant $22

Electrician $25

Architect $27

Social Worker $28

Registered Nurse $32

Computer Engineer (not software) $33

Physiotherapist $34

Lawyer $36

Computer and Info Systems Manager $37

Engineering Manager $45

Dentist $60

http://www.livingin-canada.com/work-salaries-wages-canada.html

Average hourly rate:

Retail Sales / Sales Clerk $11

Data Entry Clerk $15

Bookkeeper $16

Accounting Clerk $17

Truck Driver $19

Plumber $22

Carpenter $22

Executive Assistant $22

Electrician $25

Architect $27

Social Worker $28

Registered Nurse $32

Computer Engineer (not software) $33

Physiotherapist $34

Lawyer $36

Computer and Info Systems Manager $37

Engineering Manager $45

Dentist $60

http://www.livingin-canada.com/work-salaries-wages-canada.html

The "professions" aside,you do realize that the trade hourly wage is high because almost all trade wage is derived from the union wage because that's what sets the pay scale bar,don't you?

Except that would overweight seasonal work and temp jobs. Here is a better link:

http://www40.statcan.ca/l01/cst01/famil105a-eng.htm

$28k

I delivered newspapers for the Ottawa Citizen. I had to do this 6 days a week, *AND* I had to knock on doors and collect payment once every two weeks. My bags of newspapers were extremely heavy. So heavy, I could only deliver half of apt building and have to go down to the lobby and get the rest. I had to go up and down apt building stairs in downtown Ottawa with a VERY heavy bag with all those old school, thick newspapers. My rout took me 1.5 hours to complete.

A postal worker works 5 days a week. He or she has the option of not even delivering mail on her rout. She can 'bank her mail'. Many choose to deliver on Mon, Wed, and Friday. Some are really bad in rural areas and only deliver on Tue and Fri. Their day is typically a 2-5 hour day depending on 'luck' of route. They don't carry bags at all, many just deliver in centralized mail boxes. Those in rural areas who use their personal cars can charge and arm and leg for each km driven. It's an insane amount like 70 cents a km. When they do carry their bags - they're light. Not heavy like the bag I had where the strap ripped and I went through 3 bags.

What's the difference between me and the postal worker?

I was 11 years old and got paid $40 a week. I was entitled to no sick days.. no nothing. There was no days off except Sunday.

The postal workers makes over 50k, has TONS of benefits, has one of the largest pensions in the world, has job security that simply doesn't exist in the real world anymore.

These postal workers are welfare cases. We need to have free market. Let the job what it will.

Hey, I don't mind delivering mail, wearing headphones, and having no boss. I'd love it. But I know it would pay only a bit over minimum wage if it was private sector. Since it's not, it becomes IMPOSSIBLE to get a job at the post office, and all the jobs are reserved for 'friends and family' of current postal workers. This is how most unions are these days.

We have work safety laws. The spirit of the union is from a time in history that is no longer needed. Modern unions are damaging to an extreme and corrupt. They have a 'sick' effect on our society. Unions represent a broken and corrupt society.

If you want high wages, just STOP immigrants from coming into Canada and taking all of our jobs and you will create a supply shortage to companies looking for hires. You will get work more easier at higher pay. Canada's labor pool is FAR too large and there isn't enough jobs.

Hey, I don't mind delivering mail, wearing headphones, and having no boss. I'd love it. But I know it would pay only a bit over minimum wage if it was private sector. Since it's not, it becomes IMPOSSIBLE to get a job at the post office, and all the jobs are reserved for 'friends and family' of current postal workers. This is how most unions are these days.

I always wondered why the union cared so much about new hires who weren't even part of the union yet. Why strike just because future hires won't get the same benefits? Makes sense now. They want to pass down the welfare to their children.

Edited by CPCFTW

The "professions" aside,you do realize that the trade hourly wage is high because almost all trade wage is derived from the union wage because that's what sets the pay scale bar,don't you?

Government unions don't set the bar, they exceed it. For example, the courier DHL is unionized and their couriers aren't paid anything near what Canada Post currently pays their letter carriers. Perhaps we should bring Canada Post workers in line with what private unions believe is "fair wage" for the same type of work.

Government unions don't set the bar, they exceed it. For example, the courier DHL is unionized and their couriers aren't paid anything near what Canada Post currently pays their letter carriers. Perhaps we should bring Canada Post workers in line with what private unions believe is "fair wage" for the same type of work.

Why should we use "private unions" as any sort of baseline for the measurement of anything?