Another NDP MP padding resume.

Well, at least you're consistent, Derek. (I would have preferred Alexander too btw.) I was reacting to Moonbox's comment that "most of the other party MP's have these things called 'degrees' and 'credentials' that most NDP MP's seem to lack". My point was just that being some sort of scholar or expert in a particular field has never been an expectation for MPs and that this is not at all something particular to the NDP. As cybercoma notes, this is fundamental to the idea of representative democracy. Even as a teenager, I thought it was unfair when people made fun of the fact that John Snobelen, a high school dropout, became Minister of Education in Harris's PC cabinet.

Edited by Evening Star

Guest Derek L

Well, at least you're consistent, Derek. (I would have preferred Alexander too btw.) I was reacting to Moonbox's comment that "most of the other party MP's have these things called 'degrees' and 'credentials' that most NDP MP's seem to lack". My point was just that being some sort of scholar or expert in a particular field has never been an expectation for MPs and that this is not at all something particular to the NDP. (Even as a teenager, I thought it was unfair when people made fun of the fact that John Snobelen, a high school dropout, became Minister of Education in Harris's PC cabinet.)

For cabinet positions, my litmus test in judging a person is if they have executive leadership experience in the said field or in a field thats experience can be easily transferable.

Case in point Laurie Hawn, in my view he should have been made undersecretary Associate Minister of defense. Though I support Mackay 100% in his role, and based on his former experience in foreign affairs, I think hes qualified to represent us abroad in NATO conferences, Libya etc…….But Hawn, as undersecretary Associate Minister , can take on more specific issues within this portfolio that may require more specific attention……..ie the F-35 purchase.

Who in parliament is more qualified to take on that specific and controversial item then a retired fighter pilot?

Edited by Derek L

Just in case you were wondering what the qualifications are to be an MP:

"Any Canadian citizen at least 18 years of age on polling day, who is qualified as an elector, is eligible to be a candidate in an election."

source: http://www.parl.gc.ca/marleaumontpetit/DocumentViewer.aspx?Lang=E&Sec=Ch04&Seq=3

"Unless specifically declared to be ineligible under section 65 of the Canada Elections Act, any person qualified as an elector may run for election. A prospective candidate must be a Canadian citizen who is at least 18 years of age on election day. A candidate may seek election in only one riding at a time; however, the candidate need not be a registered elector or even reside in that riding."

source: http://www.elections.ca/content.aspx?section=pol&dir=can/bck&document=index〈=e

Who's ineligible?

"65. The following persons are not eligible to be a candidate:

(a) a person who is not qualified as an elector on the date on which his or her nomination paper is filed;

(B) a person who is disentitled under paragraph 502(3)(a) while they are so disentitled;

© a member of the legislature of a province, the Council of the Northwest Territories or the Legislative Assembly of Yukon or Nunavut;

(d) a sheriff, clerk of the peace or county Crown Attorney in any of the provinces;

(e) a person who is not entitled under section 4 to vote;

(f) a judge appointed by the Governor in Council, other than a citizenship judge appointed under the Citizenship Act;

(g) a person who is imprisoned in a correctional institution;

(h) an election officer; and

(i) a person who was a candidate in a previous election and for whom a return, report, document or declaration has not been provided under subsection 451(1), if the time and any extension for providing it have expired.

S.C. 2002, c. 7, s. 92."

source: http://www.elections.ca/content.aspx?section=res&dir=loi/fel/cea&document=part06〈=e#sec65

So until you find one of those diqualifications amongst the newly elected MPs, you can stop saying they have no qualifications. Every elected MP, to my knowledge so far, has all the required qualifications.

To become an MP, read above for the qualifications.

To work for an MP, read below.

• Excellent communication skills (verbal and written) and interpersonal skills

• Proven ability to work to tight deadlines and under pressure

• Strong organizational skills and the ability to work with minimal supervision

• Excellent computer skills, specifically good knowledge of Suite 2003 and/or Windows Vista and MS Office 2007

• Knowledge of xxx Party, and xxx organizations

• Knowledge of xxx riding and riding priorities

• Familiarity with social media (eg. Facebook, YouTube, etc.)

• Sound political judgment

• Relevant post-secondary education or equivalent experience

• Administrative experience in busy political office an asset

• Familiarity with desktop publishing software, graphic layout skills, an asset

• Knowledge of databases an asset

• Bilingualism is a requirement

Salary: 1/4 of what your boss is earning, with no expense account

Of course it would be preferable to have someone with experience in the field as a cabinet minister, but we were talking about merely holding a seat as an MP. If you're going to scrape through every backbencher MP to check their qualifications, then the idea of democratic government is completely lost on you.

In any case, as far as cabinet positions, although it's preferable, it's certainly not a requirement.

How can that be?

http://www.pco-bcp.gc.ca/index.asp?lang=eng&page=about-apropos

The Privy Council.

Guest Derek L

Of course it would be preferable to have someone with experience in the field as a cabinet minister, but we were talking about merely holding a seat as an MP. If you're going to scrape through every backbencher MP to check their qualifications, then the idea of democratic government is completely lost on you.

In any case, as far as cabinet positions, although it's preferable, it's certainly not a requirement.

How can that be?

http://www.pco-bcp.gc.ca/index.asp?lang=eng&page=about-apropos

The Privy Council.

Let me qualify my remarks than, I didnt mean to imply that I felt there should be a required level of education/experience to be a MP, I was referring to a Cabinet/Critic seat.

Honestly, I think the media constantly bringing up the NDPs lack of experience is more reflective of them having little to report so far. In reality, as long as the Vegas vacationer and the Karate Kommie (amongst others) are "handled" properly by more experienced NDPers, I highly doubt they will "hurt" their party with their lack of experience....In the next election, they'll all have four year under their collective belts.. ;)

Edited by Derek L

Let me qualify my remarks than, I didn’t mean to imply that I felt there should be a required level of education/experience to be a MP, I was referring to a Cabinet/Critic seat.

Honestly, I think the media constantly bringing up the NDP’s lack of experience is more reflective of them having little to report so far. In reality, as long as the Vegas vacationer and the Karate Kommie (amongst others) are "handled" properly by more experienced NDPers, I highly doubt they will "hurt" their party with their lack of experience....In the next election, they'll all have four year under their collective belts.. ;)

Given our "pounce first" media, I'm not so sure.

Guest Derek L

Given our "pounce first" media, I'm not so sure.

Some of the media’s pouncing can be justified, and I feel they are trying to now play catch-up from their poor performance vetting NDP candidates early in the election campaign………Now that the NDP is in the big leagues, I hope they’re prepared for more just and unjust scrutiny.

Some of the media’s pouncing can be justified, and I feel they are trying to now play catch-up from their poor performance vetting NDP candidates early in the election campaign………Now that the NDP is in the big leagues, I hope they’re prepared for more just and unjust scrutiny.

I'm not religious, but Amen.

No, and as the example of Baird shows, it's totally common for cabinet ministers not to have had "executive leadership experience" in the field. Pierre Poilievre is another example: He became an MP at 25. He has an undergrad degree but Paul Dewar has two fwiw. Jason Kenney dropped out of undergrad in order to go into politics. Nothing about Peter Kent's journalist background would seem to count as "executive leadership experience" in the area of the environment. Many ministers are lawyers who don't necessarily have special training or a leadership background in their field.

Edited by Evening Star

Dsitinctions about certificates vs. degrees (or diplomas for that matter) aside, the NDP is admitting that Larose's bio was padded:

NDP takes blame for another MP’s false resume

The NDP is taking the fall again for another MP’s erroneous resume posted on the party’s website.

“It was a mistake made by the party,” said NDP spokesman Steven Moran.

It's also not the first time Larose has used the same bio:

The false credentials were also posted about Larose on the La Presse newspaper website when he ran for in the Montreal municipal election in 2009.

I thought it was totally excusable when it happened one time with Brosseau. If this is a recurring issue, though, that does suggest cause for concern. MPs don't require any formal credentials. However, I do value education a great deal and so should the NDP. If false academic credentials are being claimed for candidates, that could suggest a real problem with integrity. At least the candidates should be paying enough attention to their campaigns that they would notice if their promotional material is claiming credentials they don't actually have. They should also be honest enough to rectify the situation.

It's a little hard to believe that this was a staffer error since it happened before. Instead of a dishonest MP it now looks like the party has chosen to try to pull the wool over the eyes of the public. Turn the matter over to the RCMP and charge whoever is responsible with fraud.

"Cheaters prosper" is a pretty sad message to Canadians.