Richest people should offer job or pay bill for jobless people.

Untill the unions priced them selves out of business, a buddy of mine works for a aero space company and he bends alunimum, for 25/hr plus bennifits, and now the owner is trying to control costs and they have now vote for a strike, good bye plant and 600 jobs.Canadian have gotten lazy and expect everything right away. You just can't blame the corporations and bamks and goverment all the time, we the people have to take some resposibilty also.

I dont understand, what was the owner going to do? And are you saying they were getting too greedy?

• Replies 73
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Untill the unions priced them selves out of business, a buddy of mine works for a aero space company and he bends alunimum, for 25/hr plus bennifits, and now the owner is trying to control costs and they have now vote for a strike, good bye plant and 600 jobs.Canadian have gotten lazy and expect everything right away. You just can't blame the corporations and bamks and goverment all the time, we the people have to take some resposibilty also.

I'm not saying there are no lazy Canadians. However, not all are. I earn a little over minimum wage, and the work is hard, but not impossibly hard. I don't work in physical labor, but I work more on the technical aspect. The company I work for has a huge turnover rate, except for my department, due to the fact that the client base at the other departments are quite verbally abusive. When I first started at this company, I worked in one of those departments, and I can tell you for a fact, that I would not be working for this organization anymore if I was still in that department.

That being said, there are quite alot of people who go to work and deal with verbal abuse on a daily basis and do this for years. And for those who can't deal with it and leave, I cannot blame and say they are lazy. Some people just have a higher tolerance level for dealing with crap for a little more than $10 an hour.

But if I had a 25$ an hour job, working full time with benefits, a strike would be the last thing I would vote for. I would be able to finally save for the future. Especially a job where there does not appear to be any abuse of any kind.

Edited by pegasus

Guest Derek L

The mentally ill are not "on their own" due to their own reasoning. They are "on their own" because there is no money for them to be kept in institutions. This is called "deinstitutionalization", and is a growing trend to save money in health care. It is these people who end up on the streets, but not by their own accord.

So you would prefer we "lock-up" the mentally ill?

Guest Derek L

I'm not saying there are no lazy Canadians. However, not all are. I earn a little over minimum wage, and the work is hard, but not impossibly hard. I don't work in physical labor, but I work more on the technical aspect. The company I work for has a huge turnover rate, except for my department, due to the fact that the client base at the other departments are quite verbally abusive. When I first started at this company, I worked in one of those departments, and I can tell you for a fact, that I would not be working for this organization anymore if I was still in that department.

That being said, there are quite alot of people who go to work and deal with verbal abuse on a daily basis and do this for years. And for those who can't deal with it and leave, I cannot blame and say they are lazy. Some people just have a higher tolerance level for dealing with crap for a little more than $10 an hour.

But if I had a 25$ an hour job, working full time with benefits, a strike would be the last thing I would vote for. I would be able to finally save for the future. Especially a job where there does not appear to be any abuse of any kind.

I've personally always felt the greatest sympathy for the teenagers that work at McDonalds......constantly putting up with shit and abuse from ignorant people. With that being said, in many cases, thats enough incentive for some to get a better job

I don't want to come of as condescending, and advice is cheap and opinions are free, did you ever consider going and working in the patch? If the physical work is not your thing, what about joining the armed forces? They're always looking for people with technical abilities, and you might find the lifestyle worth making a career out of, if not a few years in might allow you to take a few collage courses on your own, or depending on the trade you enter as, you might find something applicable in the civilian world

Edited by Derek L

Guest Derek L

Mental institute doesn't necessarily mean lock up. Most if not all of them allow some patients to come and go as they please.

And what about those that choose to leave, and not come back?

Jobless people should get of their back sides and get a damned job. Their is always jobs available for people who want to work. Problem is so many of the "jobless" simply don't want to work and want to continue to collect EI after a 45 day work year or collect welfare until they're 65 then they want a more robust CPP and OAS so they can retire in style.

I've personally always felt the greatest sympathy for the teenagers that work at McDonalds......constantly putting up with shit and abuse from ignorant people. With that being said, in many cases, that’s enough incentive for some to get a better job

I don't want to come of as condescending, and advice is cheap and opinions are free, did you ever consider going and working in the patch? If the physical work is not your thing, what about joining the armed forces? They're always looking for people with technical abilities, and you might find the lifestyle worth making a career out of, if not a few years in might allow you to take a few collage courses on your own, or depending on the trade you enter as, you might find something applicable in the civilian world

I have a double Major/Minor bachelor degree. If I entered the military, I'd go in as an officer. I tried once shortly after graduating, but I wanted to go into Intelligence. I had all the qualifications, but there were no openings. There were no open positions in any other field that interested me. I was a little interested in signals, but the only openings were for enlisted. Plus iif I were to go through basic training hell, it would have to be for something I really enjoyed doing.

Guest Derek L

Jobless people should get of their back sides and get a damned job. Their is always jobs available for people who want to work. Problem is so many of the "jobless" simply don't want to work and want to continue to collect EI after a 45 day work year or collect welfare until they're 65 then they want a more robust CPP and OAS so they can retire in style.

That’s just asinine. Do you really think the majority of those that are on EI due to the recent recession prefer that, to paying of their mortgage?

I understand your point of view. But sometimes people are underemployed. I have always worked. I am an English person who was educated in English and spoke English all my life. When I first came to Quebec City, I took jobs teaching English. I learned to speak French, and although I don't speak like a Quebecois, I can hold quite complicated conversations. I found myself more steady work, but I still conciser myself to be underemployed. I think that has more to do with the language than anything else. I've always figured that if I went west instead of East, I may have been in a better position today than I am.

That’s just asinine. Do you really think the majority of those that are on EI due to the recent recession prefer that, to paying of their mortgage?

I believe that they milk it for all it's worth and don't look for work until their benefits are about to run out. That's exactly how it is so don't try to tell me different, you'll just embarrass yourself. I'd like to do away with all social services and EI completely. Let only the strong survive and the weak get crushed. That's what they deserve instead of being leeches on the rest of us who pay taxes. Eliminating or reducing welfare and Ei benefits would save Canada billions and force freeloaders to work.

I understand your point of view. But sometimes people are underemployed. I have always worked. I am an English person who was educated in English and spoke English all my life. When I first came to Quebec City, I took jobs teaching English. I learned to speak French, and although I don't speak like a Quebecois, I can hold quite complicated conversations. I found myself more steady work, but I still conciser myself to be underemployed. I think that has more to do with the language than anything else. I've always figured that if I went west instead of East, I may have been in a better position today than I am.

Sure underemployed is a real possibility but no one forced you to live in Quebec City as an anglophone. You could just move some plece else but you chose to stay so you only have yourself to blame for how your life turned out.

Guest Derek L

I believe that they milk it for all it's worth and don't look for work until their benefits are about to run out. That's exactly how it is so don't try to tell me different, you'll just embarrass yourself. I'd like to do away with all social services and EI completely. Let only the strong survive and the weak get crushed. That's what they deserve instead of being leeches on the rest of us who pay taxes. Eliminating or reducing welfare and Ei benefits would save Canada billions and force freeloaders to work.

Have you ever been on EI? Do you have any "proof" to prove this claim? Some sort of chart that shows all people on EI, stay on EI until their benefits run out?

Do you live under a bridge?

Guest Derek L

One other thing, if you don't feel like answering that’s fine, due to the personal nature of the question, what did you pay in income tax last year? What did you pay into Employment Insurance? What about house/fire/car insurance?

Have you ever been on EI? Do you have any "proof" to prove this claim? Some sort of chart that shows all people on EI, stay on EI until their benefits run out?

Talk to almost anyone who is on EI atm. They always say how much longer they have until it runs out. I don't need a chart to tell me the obvious. get away from the computer and talk to real people and you'll see as I do.

Guest Derek L

Talk to almost anyone who is on EI atm. They always say how much longer they have until it runs out. I don't need a chart to tell me the obvious. get away from the computer and talk to real people and you'll see as I do.

So thats a no eh?

I asked in another thread, do you pay car insurance? If so, why?

So thats a no eh?

I asked in another thread, do you pay car insurance? If so, why?

People are freeloaders. That's all that matters. Whether you have your head in the sand or not doesn't change anything at all. The facts remain the same. Many people collect welfare for their entire lives and many people stay on EI until it runs out. Many more people collect EI every year.

Guest Derek L

People are freeloaders. That's all that matters. Whether you have your head in the sand or not doesn't change anything at all. The facts remain the same. Many people collect welfare for their entire lives and many people stay on EI until it runs out. Many more people collect EI every year.

So you pay into car insurance, have you ever used it? Do most people that pay into it use it?

Jobless people need to look for jobs instead of waiting for the NDP to save them and provide a cushy lifestyle for themselves. Jobless people want to take money from people who have spent their lives earning it and give it people who have done nothing. This wealth redistribution is the real agenda of the NDP. They should really come clean and run a campaign on this basic policy they believe in.

Guest Derek L

Jobless people need to look for jobs instead of waiting for the NDP to save them and provide a cushy lifestyle for themselves. Jobless people want to take money from people who have spent their lives earning it and give it people who have done nothing. This wealth redistribution is the real agenda of the NDP. They should really come clean and run a campaign on this basic policy they believe in.

Still waiting.....Do most that pay into car insurance take advantage of it?

Still waiting.....Do most that pay into car insurance take advantage of it?

Ok so you're going to draw a parallel between paying car insurance premiums and not using car insurance and paying for EI premiums while not collecting EI...right? Why not just jump to the chase and stop wasting time?

Guest Derek L

Ok so you're going to draw a parallel between paying car insurance premiums and not using car insurance and paying for EI premiums while not collecting EI...right? Why not just jump to the chase and stop wasting time?

Why not answer the question?

That's my impression as well. While I haven't personally offered them jobs, many of the homeless people I see out begging look like they could get a job if they bothered trying. Many of them are young and relatively healthy, and there are a number of low skilled jobs around being advertised. Yeah, they might be minimum wage or close to it, but that's enough to get a modest place to live and food to eat. I'd go as far as to say that for quite a few of these homeless people, it is more a lifestyle choice than anything else. They have their homeless buddies they hang out with, and from conversations I've heard at bus stops and such, they are enjoying themselves and not exactly starving or dying.

If you took all the wealthy folks money and gave it all to the poor folk, in X years the now poor folk would be wealthy again, and most of the now rich folk would be poor again.

If you took all the wealthy folks money and gave it all to the poor folk, in X years the now poor folk would be wealthy again, and most of the now rich folk would be poor again.

I wish I could remember who it was, but an economist I really respect, some time ago, said that if you took all the money in the world and divided it equally among all the people in the world, in about 10 years, the guys that are poor now would be poor again and the guys that are rich now would be rich again. And I believe it.