• Replies 476
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Guest Derek L

Let him be. He's earned that much, at least.

What an unmitigated disaster for the Liberals. So ends the "Natural Governing Party of Canada".

I agree, watching the speach now, I have to admit, I have gained a little bit of respect for his humlity.

I said a few days ago, I wouldn't care about a Tory majority if a Federalist party penetrated in Quebec, and that much is true. The Bloc has been decimated.

So, from my perspective, this is a damned good election.

It is good to see the Bloc melt down. I think it is a combination of 2 things. #1They have outlived their usefulness. They got their message across and were no longer needed. #2 The older separatists are dieing

off and a new younger voter wants to have real representation in Ottawa.

That said I think Jack is going to have a hard time giving honest representation to both his Quebec supporters and the rest of Canada.

While Quebec has support in one of the traditional parties they still have very weak support in the ruling party.

This could turn out to be a new historical low for the Liberals. In '84 they only got 40 seats, I don't see them getting that many tonight :o

At last Ignatieff is getting the message!

Edited by Roger Steele

I agree, watching the speach now, I have to admit, I have gained a little bit of respect for his humlity.

His humility? He says the liberal party's historical role has been to keep the "civility" of political debate in Canada. That is hardly the role he's played :)

At last Ignatieff is getting the message!

What counts is whether the next leader gets the message. Iggy is done. I don't think a lot of Liberals were ever that happy to have him on board, and many felt that he had been parachuted in there in a moment of crisis. He certainly rarely rose to the occasion.

Guest Derek L

I didn't know he was a Creationist. He's precisely the kind of Tory supporter the Tories need to permanently marginalize. Let them go join the Heritage Party.

I agree 100%, I have nothing against a persons religion (or lack of), but it has no place in politics regardless.

Sour grapes from a sore loser.

LOL. Funny to hear from an example of that "idiot wave". Canada will go backwards now for 4 long years. And there will be many people who will realize too late what their vote for Harper has done. I guess if your a millionaire things are looking rosy. So much of Canadian tax dollars going into your pocket as "tax breaks" at the expense of social benefits to everyone.

I agree 100%, I have nothing against a persons religion (or lack of), but it has no place in politics regardless.

I wasn't aware science was a religion? I commented that my Creationist whack job of an MP is likely going down in defeat. It has nothing to do with Lunney's religion. There are lots of Christians who don't debate science.

Beyond that, Lunney was an advocate of all kinds of nonsense, like "alternative" medicine and all sorts of nonsense.

Really? And how would you know anything about society? You're one of the most hateful polarized and mean-spirited posters here.

I'm one of the most honest, well respected posters here. I point out the hate of others, such as you, and the people, like you, who say one thing one day, and something new the next...depending on whatever floats your boat.

LOL. Funny to hear from an example of that "idiot wave". Canada will go backwards now for 4 long years. And there will be many people who will realize too late what their vote for Harper has done. I guess if your a millionaire things are looking rosy. So much of Canadian tax dollars going into your pocket as "tax breaks" at the expense of social benefits to everyone.

Harper is going to move it closer to the center. He isn't going to go for hot button issues, because it would undo the substantial accomplishment.

Anyone who considers him/herself a patriot should be ecstatic at the fate of the Bloq. Over the next five years I hope the LPC can cleanse itself of the corrupt Chretien elements and return a new, squeeky-clean party ready to replace the NDP as the Official Opposition. Canada needs contributors and not parasites.

We have a quasi two-party system for the next five years. A great night for all Canadians.

This election proves that many Canadians DO have common sense. Congrats CPC!!! Canada will be prosperous.

I never liked Ignatieff from the first time I heard him on TV. Just now I had to switch to a US channel I just couldn't listen to him planting one more tree! GAG me with a spoon already!!!!!

Go back to the US and crawl back under the rock the desperate Liberals found you under!

I apologize to any Liberals whose feelings I just hurt. I just can't stand the guy. Obviously neither could his constituents.

I'm one of the most honest, well respected posters here. I point out the hate of others, such as you, and the people, like you, who say one thing one day, and something new the next...depending on whatever floats your boat.

And I'd like you to point out where I laid out my political affiliation. Like so many partisans, you confuse someone being critical of your favorite party with them siding with the other party. I think most other people here will agree that I have been critical of all of them. My particular beef against the Tories was their contemptuous treatment of Parliament, which is a matter of record.

He could, I guess, but why would the Liberals let him?

Because it seems Liberals of late don't know any better. How often have we heard that Liberals out of power are like fish out of water? They just have never learned how to be an effective opposition. The Conservatives learned that lesson early on.

Because it seems Liberals of late don't know any better. How often have we heard that Liberals out of power are like fish out of water? They just have never learned how to be an effective opposition. The Conservatives learned that lesson early on.

They're going to have to learn how to be third in line.