OPP open criminal investigation in smear campaign against Jack Layton

Because according to a report on the CBC panel this morning there are very strong rumours floating around out there concerning Julian Fantino's possible involvement since he has ties to both both police forces and his current bosses at the Conservative party would most definitely stoop to this type of smear politics...

The Ontario Provincial Police have launched a criminal investigation into the leak of Toronto police information about a visit by NDP leader Jack Layton to a massage clinic in 1996.

Toronto police chief Bill Blair asked the OPP Saturday to investigate any possible breach-of-trust regarding the disclosure of information, said OPP inspector Dave Ross.

In a story that appeared Friday, an anonymous retired Toronto police officer told Sun Media that he and a partner found Layton in a massage parlour, a suspected Chinatown bawdy house, fifteen years ago when he was a Toronto council member. No charges were laid.

Source

Edited by Rick

Because according to a report on the CBC panel this morning there are very strong rumours floating around out there concerning Julian Fantino's possible involvement since he has ties to both both police forces and his current bosses at the Conservative party would most definitely stoop to this type of smear politics...

Source

The bit about "the Conservatives did it" is as unproven, as unfounded, and even more sensical than the whole "parlourgate" thing.

Source

Julian Fantino is a dick. And I would put nothing past him. But he was chief of police in Toronto only from 2000 on. It's unlikely Layton's little brush with the law several years earlier would have come to his attention. A more likely source is the Liberal party operative who offered the story to the Post two years ago.

Julian Fantino is a dick. And I would put nothing past him. But he was chief of police in Toronto only from 2000 on. It's unlikely Layton's little brush with the law several years earlier would have come to his attention. A more likely source is the Liberal party operative who offered the story to the Post two years ago.

What kind of results are going to come of this investigation? The furthest this is probably going to go is them saying an investigation took place and layton being cleared. Cripes goodale in 2006 was in a spot comparable to this and nothing happened. The only result of this investigation is a waste of money.

I highly doubt this was orchestrated by the Conservative Party. I think it was simply a matter of an ex-cop with an axe to grind seeing Layton's popularity and deciding to pay him back for funding cuts. The Conservative Party has mostly steered clear of those allegations and continued to attack Layton on his economic plans. The only ones capitalizing on the story are the conservative media hacks at Sun and the intellectually bankrupt Ezra Levant.

Edited by cybercoma

Guest peterb

Velvet Touch – A Community Clinic – Who Knew???

Olivia Chow was quick to release a written statement, that husband Jack Layton indeed did attend a “registered massage clinic” and she was well aware of it and he “needed a massage” late in the evening.

Jack Layton, later at a rally in Burnaby, was quick to point out and clarify Olivia’s comment, that in fact it was a “community clinic” (Velvet Touch) where he obtained his services. In trying to protect his political career, and in tune with the NDP philosophy, he felt it very important to stress it was a “community clinic” not to be confused with a private clinic. It was essential in the middle of this election, to inform Canadians, in order to solicit their support, he wouldn’t be caught dead at a private clinic, where illegal, underage, Asian sex workers, would be employed by rip off artists, in the Canadian health care field – it would have to be a community clinic he patronizes – there should be no confusion. A good leader leads by example.

I wonder if Canadians becoming more aware of the fine details of the NDP health care platform and of Layton’s expansion of health care services to include these “community clinics”, help explain the surge in support for the NDP in this current election. Does anybody in the main street media have a better explanation for the NDP surge and why are they reluctant to discuss this NDP expansion of Canada’s health services?

Why and how could the Toronto city police confuse a community clinic with a bawdy house?

I highly doubt this was orchestrated by the Conservative Party. I think it was simply a matter of an ex-cop with an axe to grind seeing Layton's popularity and deciding to pay him back for funding cuts. The Conservative Party has mostly steered clear of those allegations and continued to attack Layton on his economic plans. The only ones capitalizing on the story are the conservative media hacks at Sun and the intellectually bankrupt Ezra Levant.

There are few cops out there as brash and arrogant as Fantino, that would release such personal and private information as this.

Fantino has lied before the Courts, used illegal surveillance practices and abuse Canadian's constitutional rights. His actions and demeanor rival that of a mafia enforcer. Seems however, this is the kind of guy the Conservatives want to represent Woodbridge. After all if the Calgary Flames can have their goon enforcers then the Conservative party should have one as well.

There's certainly a possibility, just as there's a possibility that Jack Layton was jacked off by an Asian prostitute. However, I believe both are pretty unlikely. I'm not stating any sort of testable fact. This is merely my personal opinion.

Let's look at this way, who would profit more if Jack's numbers went down......Harper and Michael.....who has a better chance of benefitting....Harper...and who has been known to dirty tricks, denying any involvement in the past.....BINGO HARPER! Fantino was also the chief of police in London On in the '90's, he's got friends without the police forces in Ontario.

As cybercoma has said, we can only speculate...but my feeling is that this would be quite distinct from Conservative tactics, to my knowledge. I seriously doubt the Cons were in any way involved.

Of course they never are...even when the offenders come right out of the PMO, or a Conservative that is later denounced.

Let's look at this way, who would profit more if Jack's numbers went down......Harper and Michael.....who has a better chance of benefitting....Harper...and who has been known to dirty tricks, denying any involvement in the past.....BINGO HARPER! Fantino was also the chief of police in London On in the '90's, he's got friends without the police forces in Ontario.

On the contrary. Many media other than the SUN have blasted the SUN over this (while re-posting the story :rolleyes: ). I have seen comments of people who said they were considering voting NDP as a result of this, but very few, if any, from people who said they had considered voting NDP but would now vote for another party.

Neither the Conservatives nor the Liberal are that stupid.

Velvet Touch – A Community Clinic – Who Knew???

Fuck off already junior. I have never "reported" anyone on this board for being an idiot, but you're testing the patience of a lot of us. Go back where you came from "super-cross-poster".

Actually I believe you are wrong and right.

I wouldn't be suprised to see the conservative being involved in this,however they will go through great lengths to keep there distance.

And traditionally the police are against the NDP.The fact I always point to is the SIU that was introduced by Bob Rae in Ontario.

The police always hate people who are for protecting the rights of Canadians.

And sadly its a proven fact with the legacy of many court cases as proof!

WWWTT

On the contrary. Many media other than the SUN have blasted the SUN over this (while re-posting the story :rolleyes: ). I have seen comments of people who said they were considering voting NDP as a result of this, but very few, if any, from people who said they had considered voting NDP but would now vote for another party.

Neither the Conservatives nor the Liberal are that stupid.

Ya, b BUT both are that desperate.

Fuck off already junior. I have never "reported" anyone on this board for being an idiot, but you're testing the patience of a lot of us. Go back where you came from "super-cross-poster".

Have you ever reported anyone for using vulgar language or for telling others not to post?

Have you ever reported anyone for using vulgar language or for telling others not to post?

Hydraboss is just frustrated--on a totally non-partisan basis--with posters who have no serious point to make, and who are not only uninterested in intelligent debate, but are actively hostile to it, so that their posts serve only to deflect from everything else.

Of course they never are...even when the offenders come right out of the PMO, or a Conservative that is later denounced.

No one's saying that. I support the NDP, but nothing points to the Tories orchestrating this. That's all I'm saying. Nothing more and nothing less. I'm not even saying that the Conservatives are not capitalizing on the issue. However, the party seems to be distancing itself from the whole thing. The only people that are trying to capitalize on this mess are pseudo-journalist hacks looking to make a name for themselves.

If anybody staarted this rumour, it is the Liberals. They stand to lose much more to the NDP than the Tories ddo.

It's hard to tell scouter. Apparently a number of journalists were aware and kept a lid on it. I wouldn't ascribe it to a political party just yet.

It's hard to tell scouter. Apparently a number of journalists were aware and kept a lid on it. I wouldn't ascribe it to a political party just yet.

The story was released by Sun News...ultra right wing, Sun News. These are the same guys that were going to run with a story last week about Ignatieff involvement in Iraq being on the arms side. That information was supplied directly from Harper's former Deputy Chief of Staff Patrick Muttart. It is highly likely that this was not the only information supplied to Sun News either.....

But then again where would the Deputy Chief of Staff get that kind of information....from the police? And who happens to be directly involved in the Conservative campaign but non other than Julian Fantino, whom I sure has supplied all kinds of information to the campaign office with dirt on lots of candidates in Ontario.....Hmmmm.....it kinda makes one go hmmmm.....