Ignatieff booed at hockey game.

I'm trying out my journalism voice below.

This just in....

Some 4,00 hockey fans booed Liberal leader Michael Ignatieff at a Mississauga majors hockey game earlier this afternoon while Mayor Hazel Mcallion was cheered. Ignatieff was taking in the game with the 90 year old Mississauga Mayor before being booed by some 4,000 playoff crazed fans when his face appeared on the big screen.

Back to you Tom.

Guest peterb

Hockey fans are sophisticated after all.

I was at a hockey game last nite and a booing broke out.

Conspiculously it was booing for one politician but applause for another - hockey fans do have some sophistication.

@RickRadovski Rick Radovski

4000 people booed #Ignatief at the #Majors game tonight while #Mississauga Mayor#HazelMcCallion got a huge ovation. She should run Canada

11 hours ago via Twitter for BlackBerry® Favorite Retweet Reply

Rick Radovski, Vice President Marketing and Sales at St. Michael s Majors Hockey Team, Mississauga,

I'm trying out my journalism voice below.

This just in....

Some 4,00 hockey fans booed Liberal leader Michael Ignatieff at a Mississauga majors hockey game earlier this afternoon while Mayor Hazel Mcallion was cheered. Ignatieff was taking in the game with the 90 year old Mississauga Mayor before being booed by some 4,000 playoff crazed fans when his face appeared on the big screen.

Back to you Tom.

I just saw it!!! The whole place reverberated with boos!

Hockey fans are sophisticated after all.

Like it or not hockey fans are a large part of the electorate. I don't think it wise to insult fans of our game, which is hockey. What you're doing in unpatriotic at the very least. I doubt we'll have any politician stupid enough to say that about hockey fans on the news.

The important thing is that everyday average Canadians who live in the same ridings that the Liberals need to win are against Mr. Ignatieff.

Edited by Mr.Canada

It's quite sad to hear the spin from Ignatieff after the game. He basically said that any politician would be booed at a playoff game. yet Mayor Hazel Macallion is also a politician and she wasn't booed at all, she was cheered. The spin didn't work Iggy, go back to Harvard and give advice to the Pentagon on their war strategy. You lied about that too.

There will be plenty of Quebec butt kissing.

Quebec has rightly decided against the scandal laden Liberals and opted for the squeaky clean NDP. Good for them. Now it's time for the media to scrutinize their platform more closely. Now that they're being taken more seriously.

The thing is that these junior hockey games are attended mostly by white men. Obviously, white men are the core of the conservative supporters. Also, because they are pumped about the game, I expect them to be willing to voice their concerns. If Harper, on the other hand, was at a university campus function and tried to get an applause, he would be booed too.

Ignatieff was interviewed on Tout le Monde en Parle at 8:25. Quick summary:

Nice job on the eyebrows said one host

NDP surge in Quebec? - he says he's still confident

Coalition? - he said no to coalition

Soudas, Port of Montreal? - said other Conservatives charged with fraud, Harper government bad

Mughette Paille? - Ignatieff mentioned her 11 times in French debate, clips shown - guffaws all around, host said she's voting Bloc (everyone laughs)

Why not cut ties with Chretien/Martin/Adscam? - he praised Chretien/Martin money management, Liberals paid the consequences of Adscam

Where he'll cut? - corporate tax cuts will save $6B

Quebec in constitution? - not priority with Quebecers - Canada does not work without Quebec

His most inspirational politician? - JFK

Do you seek the advice of other politician? - No

How often do you speak to Denis Coderre? - a few times a week, he gives me good advice

Host jumps on him for the contradiction. - "Bingo, you caught me."

Describe in one word

BC? - ocean

Prairies? - canola

Ontario? - lakes

Quebec? - cheese

Maritimes? - oysters

NWT? - "diamonds -I bought my wife a diamond ring in Yellowknife."

He waved the Liberal redbook twice.

IMO a pretty decent performance overall. Tomorrow's media evaluation should be interesting.

Edit: no talk of arenas

Edited by capricorn

Here is the video of him being booed:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=f8bF-MICt0s

I actually live in this city so can tell you why he was booed.

He was at a hockey game. The majority of people there are white Canadians which is a minority where I live. We *HATE* living with immigrants here and blame the Liberal party for all of our problems. Just ask any co workers here and they do NOT like the multiculturalism.

Here in the GTA suburbs, most people are employed by private sector and are forced to live with immigrants all day. We are a very fed up group of people. When they saw Ignatieff, they lashed out. That's what really happened.

All those people represent me and I can ASSURE you 100% that those people were booing the symbol of what their immigration policy did to our lives. It wasn't just for ignatieff after all all these seats belong to him. It's the CANADIANS.. the WHITE FOLK that took issue to him and the party he represents. While we lose these seats, still almost 40% support conservatives.

You guys accross Canada really have to sympathise how it's like to live with this many immigrants. Every car you see. Every word you see being spoken. People pushing infront of you. No manners. No please, no thank you. We pretty much lost our society, culture, and city to the 'rag people'.

Guest Derek L

He was at a hockey game. The majority of people there are white Canadians which is a minority where I live. We *HATE* living with immigrants here and blame the Liberal party for all of our problems. Just ask any co workers here and they do NOT like the multiculturalism.

Here in the GTA suburbs, most people are employed by private sector and are forced to live with immigrants all day. We are a very fed up group of people. When they saw Ignatieff, they lashed out. That's what really happened.

All those people represent me and I can ASSURE you 100% that those people were booing the symbol of what their immigration policy did to our lives. It wasn't just for ignatieff after all all these seats belong to him. It's the CANADIANS.. the WHITE FOLK that took issue to him and the party he represents. While we lose these seats, still almost 40% support conservatives.

You guys accross Canada really have to sympathise how it's like to live with this many immigrants. Every car you see. Every word you see being spoken. People pushing infront of you. No manners. No please, no thank you. We pretty much lost our society, culture, and city to the 'rag people'.

You my friend have no idea what it's like to live with those people, I live in Greater Vancouver, and have to live with them on a day to day basis.....what with all their wealth and investment, they've pretty much ruined what was once a dying town full of lumber & pulp mills.... :rolleyes:

You claim to be white, would that not make you or your ancestors, at one point, immigrants? :huh:

You my friend have no idea what it's like to live with those people, I live in Greater Vancouver, and have to live with them on a day to day basis.....what with all their wealth and investment, they've pretty much ruined what was once a dying town full of lumber & pulp mills.... :rolleyes:

You claim to be white, would that not make you or your ancestors, at one point, immigrants? :huh:

That's great for Vancouver. It is NOT like that here. Here is family sponsorship, poverty.. poorest corners of the earth.

Do you think they were really booing Iggy that bad? It wasn't for Iggy.. it's a deep hatred of how we have to live day to day.

Everyone that goes to Vancouver comes back honeymooning about how great it is. People from BC always want to go back home.

Come here. It's not a nice place to live. No one WANTS to live here. We just do it cause we have to. You can hear it in the boo's. There is no pride for this city. Did you see Harper in Mississauga the other day? THAT is the real Mississauga.

Guest Derek L

That's great for Vancouver. It is NOT like that here. Here is family sponsorship, poverty.. poorest corners of the earth.

Do you think they were really booing Iggy that bad? It wasn't for Iggy.. it's a deep hatred of how we have to live day to day.

Everyone that goes to Vancouver comes back honeymooning about how great it is. People from BC always want to go back home.

Come here. It's not a nice place to live. No one WANTS to live here. We just do it cause we have to. You can hear it in the boo's. There is no pride for this city. Did you see Harper in Mississauga the other day? THAT is the real Mississauga.

One tenant of Conservatism, is individual responsibility. You don't like your lot in life, change it!

Again, I'll ask:

You claim to be white, would that not make you or your ancestors, at one point, immigrants?

The thing is that these junior hockey games are attended mostly by white men. Obviously, white men are the core of the conservative supporters. Also, because they are pumped about the game, I expect them to be willing to voice their concerns. If Harper, on the other hand, was at a university campus function and tried to get an applause, he would be booed too.

I don't know how many Junior hockey games you've been to if you think they are attended mostly by Men, Junior hockey is a family thing. Most games I've been to has had as many or more mothers in the crowd.

You really think it was a racially motivated response? I'm not sure that average people really think like that. I would say that many people prefer to live around their own race but that speaks to human nature, tribalism if you will.

I don't think that a racial group would really blame their problems on another racial group in Canada. We have a free and just society here where different people are welcome to live as Canadians providing they follow our laws.

Seems a bit too simplistic to me Mike.