Next Liberal leader

• Replies 278
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

When abouts are they going to get around to getting a new leader anyway?

Coderre thinks they should wait two years. Which is a smart idea for fundraising but then the leader only has two years before the election, which may not be good. A proper leadership race should be about a year long so the candidates should have time to connect with voters.

Both Layton and Harper would love Trudeau as Lib Leader, they would eat his lunch without breaking any kind of sweat. He is a featherweight.

Bob Rae might be a worse choice than Trudeau.

The guy who could win is Frank McKenna, and his supposed disinterest is ....dependent. If he has to wade through all the BS of a prolonged leadership campaign and has less than complete control of the party- not interested.

If he gets handed the reins as happened with Ignatieff, pus complete control of the executive wing of the party- he might do it.

McKenna has the chops to be PM, and he could draw all kinds of national support. He is very well respected and pretty well known.

But I doubt the Libs have the wit to do it.

Both Layton and Harper would love Trudeau as Lib Leader, they would eat his lunch without breaking any kind of sweat. He is a featherweight.

Bob Rae might be a worse choice than Trudeau.

The guy who could win is Frank McKenna, and his supposed disinterest is ....dependent. If he has to wade through all the BS of a prolonged leadership campaign and has less than complete control of the party- not interested.

If he gets handed the reins as happened with Ignatieff, pus complete control of the executive wing of the party- he might do it.

McKenna has the chops to be PM, and he could draw all kinds of national support. He is very well respected and pretty well known.

But I doubt the Libs have the wit to do it.

Yes a 63 year old man is just what they need taking over the party.

I thought iggy might stay,I actually was warming up to him at the end, given time he might have been more liked. But leblanc is the only one, quebec will be a good start since the NDP are going to lose it in the next election. But if trudeau gets it,that tells me the old boys are still running the party and still think canadians are stupid, he will never get a vote out west. Corderre(SP) won't get a vote outside of quebec. Bob Rae is to much of a slime ball to run anything.

Coderre thinks they should wait two years. Which is a smart idea for fundraising but then the leader only has two years before the election, which may not be good. A proper leadership race should be about a year long so the candidates should have time to connect with voters.

Does having a leader somehow hinder fund raising?

She can duke it out with the best of them. She's also very educated and had run a number of companies.

Denis Coderre is calling on Bob Rae to become interim leader for the next two years and then hold their convention.

Denis Coderre is a burden to the party and needs to leave. And take his taint with him.

Edited by Shwa

Does having a leader somehow hinder fund raising?

They need money for the leadership convention that will cost millions of dollars. So two years of fundraising would help significantly.

Denis Coderre is a burden to the party and needs to leave. And take his taint with him.

I don't know much about him but I think while Quebec Lieutenant he was correct when he was trying to get rid of older MPs in exchange for young star candidates.

If Rae declares his intention to run for the leadership I would expect that disqualifies him. A potential leadership candidate should not be selected interim leader.

I don't know if it is in the party constitution, but even if not it is a VERY strong tradition that a French leader must be followed by an English leader and vice versa. That would mean only Francophones need apply for the leadership job.

I don't know if it is in the party constitution, but even if not it is a VERY strong tradition that a French leader must be followed by an English leader and vice versa. That would mean only Francophones need apply for the leadership job.

Some Liberals think it's time to re-think this tradition. Times are changing and this is a good idea IMO.

Exactly, it's a stupid "tradition". I believe it was Bob Rae who said yesterday they have to stop these rules on who the leader can be.

One would have to be a masochist or another sleezebag a la Chretch to want to be leader of that bunch of pirates.

Yes a 63 year old man is just what they need taking over the party.

Jack Layton is 61... age didn't seem to hurt him.

I don't know what kind of qualities people expect in a leader, but I don't think it has much to do with age.

-k

Jack Layton is 61... age didn't seem to hurt him.

I don't know what kind of qualities people expect in a leader, but I don't think it has much to do with age.

-k

Well the Liberals have 34 seats and need a leader to rebuild and stay on a couple of terms. They're likely not going to win the next election so McKenna would be in his 70's in the 2019 federal election. Do you actually think that's smart?

If they haven`t already named Goodale as interim leader, then I sure don`t know why not; and then they have a good solid 2 years to worry about someone who is more than just a placeholder.

All the talk is about how much needs to be done, and that it shouldn`t be rushed. This speculation is two years premature-- uninformed guesswork.

Exactly, it's a stupid "tradition". I believe it was Bob Rae who said yesterday they have to stop these rules on who the leader can be.

I agree. Only fluently bilingual candidates should be considered, not some no-name fly-in that has to take Berlitz courses in a hurry. Surnames or place of origin shouldn't count.

If they haven`t already named Goodale as interim leader, then I sure don`t know why not; and then they have a good solid 2 years to worry about someone who is more than just a placeholder.

All the talk is about how much needs to be done, and that it shouldn`t be rushed. This speculation is two years premature-- uninformed guesswork.

I disagree. They need a leader in as soon as they clear out the trash. And one who can take advantage of all the opportunities that will come up in Parliament in the next two years. By the end of the year at the very latest.

For interim, why not Ralph Goodale? He's survived the election, has vast experience but for the leader, I stick with Dom.

I wouldn't have any problem with Ralph Goodale as interim LPC leader, but I am not confident than he has the chops to be a real mean s.o.b. for any length of time. He might that sort of Liberal who can guide the party out of the mess and into coherency. Do you think?

I wouldn't have any problem with Ralph Goodale as interim LPC leader, but I am not confident than he has the chops to be a real mean s.o.b. for any length of time. He might that sort of Liberal who can guide the party out of the mess and into coherency. Do you think?

I have wished many times that Ralph would take on the leadership with intent- I`d be happy to step out of retirement to work full time to seeing him elected. He won`t though, largely because "he has(n`t got) the chops to be a real mean s.o.b. for any length of time." He has neither a thick enough skin nor a sufficient disrespect for the people and institutions of Canada to be the kind of prime minister this nation now seems to demand.

He`s just a man of absolutely consistent integrity and hard work. (I think of the times I campaigned against him.... You just cannot imagine a more thankless task. :ph34r:)

Edit: He`s as charismatic as `making sure to do both the dishes and your homework in a timely manner`, though. Hard sell for folks looking for drama and impudence.

Edited by Molly