Laytonmania

Layton has the most charisma, no doubt. But he has never really been tested. I keep going back to the fact that Stockwell Day was a great Alberta cabinet minister, a dissaster as a leader, and a great Fed cabinet minister. Paul Martin was the best minister of finance we have ever had, IMO, but a loser as PM. Jack isn't proven.

• Replies 51
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Layton has the most charisma, no doubt. But he has never really been tested. I keep going back to the fact that Stockwell Day was a great Alberta cabinet minister, a dissaster as a leader, and a great Fed cabinet minister. Paul Martin was the best minister of finance we have ever had, IMO, but a loser as PM. Jack isn't proven.

So give him a chance to prove it.

The difference is that Layton is safe. And I am not commenting on his vision for the country. He is safe becuase there is no chance he will become PM.

So give him a chance to prove it.

I don't want to start a thread to ask about this, 'cause that would give it wa-ay too much attention but.... the talking heads keep raving about how great Layton looks, how energized and how healthy- but to me, he looks like the wrath of God. He looks like a very, very sick man.

So, how sick is he really? What's telling the lie- my eyes or the talking heads?

I don't want to start a thread to ask about this, 'cause that would give it wa-ay too much attention but.... the talking heads keep raving about how great Layton looks, how energized and how healthy- but to me, he looks like the wrath of God. He looks like a very, very sick man.

So, how sick is he really? What's telling the lie- my eyes or the talking heads?

He actually does look good for his age.

Maybe the signal being sent from your eyes to your brain is getting scrambled?

WWWTT

In the past, what was killing Layton chances is the fear of a Conservative government (whether it is majority or not). Many potential NDP supporters were voting for the Libs to make sure the Conservatives do not win.

Although the same people still fear a Conservative majority, now they are not as much afraid of a Conservative minority. Also, Ignatieff doesn't represent the savior against the "conservative threat".

Same goes in Québec. The lower are the chances of Harper to win a majority, the better are the chances to see a switch from the Bloc to NDP.

It makes the end result less predictable. However, I wouldn't be surprise if Harper wins few points and this sudden NDP's support melt as well, even if it is not a direct move from NDP to CPC.

I'll tell you what he is having less trouble then Harper getting around and showing up at events. I met him pretty early in the campaign he shook my hand seemed to me he was just fine.

It just occurred to me that Layton has been dropping Muclair's name quite a bit lately. Of course he's trying to drum up support in Quebec. However, what do people think about the prospects of Grizzly taking Jack's place? I don't know very much (read: anything) about Mulcair, but do you think Mulcair as the head of the NDP would secure their support or would it hurt them? Hmmm...

Leaving party platforms aside, Jack is a better leader than Michael.

Although I disagree with their policies, the NDP are far more ethical and moral than the LPC - and that isn't heaping that much praise on the NDP. How anyone with a the smallest shred of decency can vote Liberal is beyond me.

During the English debate he appeared to be wearing a lot of makeup. I think he looks really ill; could kick the bucket before the end of the campaign.

Layton-mania is now being compared to the conservative sweep of 84 that started in Quebec.

He is definetly got the momentum.

Harper and Ignatieff are reduced to the same stale bickering,helping to swell the NDP ranks in their desperate frantic search for attention.Any attention even for bad behavior even seems as if it would help.

And the spill over affect now seems to be taking hold in Ontario.

NDP minority?

WWWTT

It just occurred to me that Layton has been dropping Muclair's name quite a bit lately. Of course he's trying to drum up support in Quebec. However, what do people think about the prospects of Grizzly taking Jack's place? I don't know very much (read: anything) about Mulcair, but do you think Mulcair as the head of the NDP would secure their support or would it hurt them? Hmmm...

Mulcair isn't half of what Layton is. NDP doesn't have a bright future if Mulcair is taking his place. Whether you like NDP of not, Layton has this sympatic face. Even a right winger would say, "I hate Layton's policies but I am sure he's a nice guy". Mulcair is just "meh". He didn't impress me much back when he was with the provincial liberals, not much with NDP either.

Mulcair isn't half of what Layton is. NDP doesn't have a bright future if Mulcair is taking his place. Whether you like NDP of not, Layton has this sympatic face. Even a right winger would say, "I hate Layton's policies but I am sure he's a nice guy". Mulcair is just "meh". He didn't impress me much back when he was with the provincial liberals, not much with NDP either.

He did a heck of a job in 1995 with the referendum he is one of the unsung heroes at keeping Quebec in Canada. The guy is a heck of an organizer. Jacks shoes are big but Mulcair is no light weight.

Really? I find Mulcair very charismatic and compelling when he speaks. He always strikes me as intelligent, moderate, and reasonable.

Really? I find Mulcair very charismatic and compelling when he speaks. He always strikes me as intelligent, moderate, and reasonable.

Sounds like a good team to me.

Once you get people arguing who is the better MP in the NDP fold then eventually others such as Olivia Chow(definetly the best looking) and others come out and this party looks very united and competant to run Canada from coast to coast to coast.

WWWTT